The Big Question ?

RICHARD WILLS

7 minutes ago, chris meek 1 said:

Richard I'd be interested in the tempest when it comes out. Sorry if I've missed it but what cost would it be? 

Thanks

Chris 

Hi Chris , we have decided to leave the Fw190 on this thread and move the Tempest to the 2024 Mass Build thread . It would get confusing once I start building the Tempest as people may confuse the two . 

The kit price for either model is £139    I will put you on the list . 

On 25/11/2023 at 07:14, Ron Gray said:

B&Q do a red and yellow that, once ‘dirtied’ as per Richard’s advice, will look close enough. 

Thanks for that.

Just had a look on the B&Q website for reds and yellows and there are lots and lots of shades in emulsion.

Some are obviously a mile out, which narrows it down a bit. However if you had particular ones in mind, would you mind sharing the specifics please?

2 hours ago, Graham Bowers said:

Thanks for that.

Just had a look on the B&Q website for reds and yellows and there are lots and lots of shades in emulsion.

Some are obviously a mile out, which narrows it down a bit. However if you had particular ones in mind, would you mind sharing the specifics please?

Ok , Graham . 

In band Q they will mix you a nice size pot of valspar emulsion (Matt or silk )  I think in your case I'd go silk , but for general camo go matt . 

Take a print off with what you want . The yellow is definetely going to be US trainer yellow but they can match it pretty closely from a sample . The red should be more like pillar box red , so definitely not an element of orange . 

So ask them to mix a yellow , red and black . That way you can add a little black to the red to calm it down if it looks too much . 

I dont think you will have to though if you go with my plan of heavy charcoal staining . 

I tell you what , I will get a piece of yellow paper and weather it as a sample to send to you . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Ok , Graham . 

In band Q they will mix you a nice size pot of valspar emulsion (Matt or silk )  I think in your case I'd go silk , but for general camo go matt . 

Take a print off with what you want . The yellow is definetely going to be US trainer yellow but they can match it pretty closely from a sample . The red should be more like pillar box red , so definitely not an element of orange . 

So ask them to mix a yellow , red and black . That way you can add a little black to the red to calm it down if it looks too much . 

I dont think you will have to though if you go with my plan of heavy charcoal staining . 

I tell you what , I will get a piece of yellow paper and weather it as a sample to send to you . 

That'll be handy, thanks 🙂

There's an excellent independent DIY shop a couple of miles away that does mixing so I'll pay them a visit in the first instance.

18 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Hi Chris , we have decided to leave the Fw190 on this thread and move the Tempest to the 2024 Mass Build thread . It would get confusing once I start building the Tempest as people may confuse the two . 

The kit price for either model is £139    I will put you on the list . 

Thanks much appreciated 👍

• Like 1

A few more bits to do on the 190 . Because I am right handed , I have cut a long slot and a short one accordingly in the underside of the wing . I will probably line the bit I grip with wood . 

Note the holes are forward of the centre of gravity . That is because when you advance the throttle prior to launch , the model tries to pull its nose down as it rotates downward from your hand . Makes sense when you view it from the side , (think propulsion is like catherine wheel with your hand being the nail ) .

IMG_6508.jpg

(I will paint it ....I promise ) 

The next thing is the pushrods to the rudder and elevator . (You may not bother with the rudder if you are only hand launching rather than dolly launch ) 

This time I'm going to use pushrods made of dowel . The actual size will be shown on the plan for you to copy , complete with little bends . 

The neat trick here is that we just cut a small groove ( I used a tenon saw ) for the wire to run in . The end of the wire is bent at 90 degrees and inserts into a 1.5mm hole drilled into the dowel , which effectively anchors it . Then using a piece of heat shrink tube means it cant budge . 

You will get all the bits in the kit . Makes for a friction free and positive action . 

The Z  bend is where the wire steps out of the little slots in the fuselage sides underneath the tailplane . 

IMG_6509.jpg

IMG_6510.jpg

The next thing is the aileron servos . I recommend that you get these working before fixing in place as their orientation has a 50/50 chance of you getting both ailerons going up at the same time !

Luckily there is plenty of scope to turn them round inside the servo box . 

I am using 9G metal geared emax servos throughout . Nothing fancy required so use what you have .

You can see that I wrap them in masking tape and then just hot glue them in place . Surprisingly you would need to be Silver Backed Gorilla to get them off . 

I will put some little screws in the lids to keep the lids on the model !  

IMG_6511.jpg

IMG_6512.jpg

IMG_6513.jpg

IMG_6514.jpg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Note the holes are forward of the centre of gravity . That is because when you advance the throttle prior to launch , the model tries to pull its nose down as it rotates downward from your hand .

Good to see you've thought this through Richard. I've got some of the Ripmax ARTF versions of the Balsacraft warbirds and the finger-holds on these are rearward of the cg. It's an absolute pain trying to launch them when, as you say, opening the throttle causes the model to pitch downwards at just the wrong time. I've resorted to trying to stretch my little finger forward for support but a good launch is a bit of a lottery.

Here you can see the radio and speed controller installation .

I made the servo rails from the ply offcuts in the kit , of which there are plenty . The pushrods are nice and friction free . 

You can see the speed controller ,anywhere between 40 to 60 amp depending on how much performance you are asking for with prop choice . Ive velcro stuck it to the ply wall inside the battery bay . 

Plenty of room in the radio bay for any other items , ensuite etc will go in a treat . 😁

IMG_6515.jpg

IMG_6516.jpg

The one thing I haven't mentioned about the FW190 is the flying . 

Happy to say it's all good news . 

The 52" model weighs only 3lb 4oz fully kitted out except for the flight battery . 

So with a my old stock 3300 4s pack it means the all up weight is exactly 4lb . 

That is light for a model that is stiff as a board and could fly in a gale ! I didnt make any special attempt to shave off a few ounces either . 

Because the weather has been so wet , I didnt feel I could drag any of my fellow members down the patch at short notice , but equally , I like to  pick a quiet time so that I can really soak up all the details of the test flying without distraction . 

The first flight was on a soggy day with no wind . In fact ideally, as I had to do my own hand launch , I would have preferred a breeze . 

However , the calm conditions did allow me to explore the handling and in particular the slow speed handling and stall . 

Well, she went straight out of my hand with no sink ( I under propped with an 11x6 on purpose) . No aileron trim required just a dab of down (I had added some up for safe measure ) . Two circuits then some low passes . Very smooth and easy to fly . Fast pass and roll was very nice , then climb to height for stall testing . 

That was an eye opener . Even with absolutely no wind , she would hang in , tail sinking , without a hint of stalling . 

You really do need to take the proverbial if you want this little Focke to bite you . 

As you can tell , I'm right chuffed with that .

And I think you will be too !😉

• Like 12

I know I'm very late to the party, but could I put my name down for both the FW190 and the Tempest please.  I'm aiming to PSS both of them!  Not been a good few years, but looks like I'll be able to resume building and flying in the near future. (and due to massive brownie points earnt over past 2 years, SWMBO has suggested I get a kit (or 2)). 

Thanks 

Ade 

• Like 1

Ok Chaps , the Fw 190 kits will be cut and ready to go in the next two weeks , so I need to get organised . 

This is the list of chaps that I have details for and I will be sending you all a little order form which will have tick boxes showing what you require . I do know, but have to confirm . 

Leccy (Brian ) 

Ron Gray 

Maurice Northcott

Peter Atkins

Chris Walby 

Graham Bowers

Roger Bird 

Gordon McConnel

Graham Davies 

Eric Robson 

Bucks Boy (David Orrells) 

Flying Squirrel (Steve)                       So all of these dont need to do anything yet . Just wait for an envelope . 

The following , Im not sure if the details I have are correct or you may be new to me . So better to play safe and Pm me your real name and address . 

Dan H . 

Grumpy Gnome 

Jonathan Sharland  (got your old address Jon , not new )

Dave B1 

Ace 

John Timmis

Mighty Peesh

Murat (sorry Murat, I Know where you are but cant quite be sure of my note !) 

Goose is the hero . 

Lipo Man (David ) 

Nick Cribbs

Silver Wolf (David , repeat offender , CV5 9EH?) 

Flyer (Blimey , I should know yours by now, another repeat offender  ) 

Kevin M 

Para Dave (you out there old chum ?) 

Anyone that wants an Fw190 that is not on the list , PM me . 

Tempest will be dealt with separately , but for those that also had a 190 , then postage on the Tempest is on me . 

As before , the reason we cant just put them on the website is because outsiders will bomb the party and buy them on my shop . That would leave one of our gallant lads with no plane . Not on my watch buddy !  You all contribute to these limited runs so in my book its deal with the gang first . 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

One little comment here that's a bit off the beaten track . It was quite amazing going through the back order notes . Lots of little notes about people and what they had built before , even notes about their wife not being well or themselves . Quite sad that we have lost a few over the years too . But you know what ? We are pretty much all the same kind of chaps , its a great community, building our scale models and helping others get along . 

Putting all else aside , its a nice feeling that I'm making stuff that actually makes people feel good about themselves and their achievements .

You cant do that working in a bank. (you would get a decent pension though 🤣)

Ive always said that if you put as all in a big hall , we would all get along famously . Imagine if geography wasnt a problem , we had an actual flying club with us all in it .

What a hoot that would be !

Keep smiling chaps . 

• Like 12