The Big Question ?

RICHARD WILLS

Richard,  are you using Royal mail or E mail? The price of stamps now will put a hole in your already small profit. I will settle for the bog standard kit the one that takes the ensuite,  and I am a bit concerned about you putting your finger on someone's details. 😜 

On 28/11/2023 at 16:14, RICHARD WILLS said:

Here you can see the radio and speed controller installation .

I made the servo rails from the ply offcuts in the kit , of which there are plenty . The pushrods are nice and friction free . 

You can see the speed controller ,anywhere between 40 to 60 amp depending on how much performance you are asking for with prop choice . Ive velcro stuck it to the ply wall inside the battery bay . 

Plenty of room in the radio bay for any other items , ensuite etc will go in a treat . 😁

On 28/11/2023 at 16:14, RICHARD WILLS said:

IMG_6515.jpg

IMG_6516.jpg

• Like 1

Advert

15 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

One little comment here that's a bit off the beaten track . It was quite amazing going through the back order notes . Lots of little notes about people and what they had built before , even notes about their wife not being well or themselves . Quite sad that we have lost a few over the years too . But you know what ? We are pretty much all the same kind of chaps , its a great community, building our scale models and helping others get along . 

Putting all else aside , its a nice feeling that I'm making stuff that actually makes people feel good about themselves and their achievements .

You cant do that working in a bank. (you would get a decent pension though 🤣)

Ive always said that if you put as all in a big hall , we would all get along famously . Imagine if geography wasnt a problem , we had an actual flying club with us all in it .

What a hoot that would be !

Keep smiling chaps . 

Amen to that.😎👍

One of the nicest things this past year was when you gave me a call out of the blue, just to chew the fat about model designs and such like. Even though we have never met it was a lovely comfortable conversation and when I looked at the phone, we'd been gassing for more than an hour and a half. Model flyers, especially model warbird enthusiasts, really are the best and honestly, given the flying to blethering ratio at the typical field we might not be all aces in terms of victories in combat, but we'd be an unbeatable force if there was ever a Battle of Blether.

Looking forwards with excitement to seeing the kits in due course.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Ok Chaps , the Fw 190 kits will be cut and ready to go in the next two weeks , so I need to get organised . 

This is the list of chaps that I have details for and I will be sending you all a little order form which will have tick boxes showing what you require . I do know, but have to confirm . 

Leccy (Brian ) 

Ron Gray 

Maurice Northcott

Peter Atkins

Chris Walby 

Graham Bowers

Roger Bird 

Gordon McConnel

Graham Davies 

Eric Robson 

Bucks Boy (David Orrells) 

Flying Squirrel (Steve)                       So all of these dont need to do anything yet . Just wait for an envelope . 

The following , Im not sure if the details I have are correct or you may be new to me . So better to play safe and Pm me your real name and address . 

Dan H . 

Grumpy Gnome 

Jonathan Sharland  (got your old address Jon , not new )

Dave B1 

Ace 

John Timmis

Mighty Peesh

Murat (sorry Murat, I Know where you are but cant quite be sure of my note !) 

Goose is the hero . 

Lipo Man (David ) 

Nick Cribbs

Silver Wolf (David , repeat offender , CV5 9EH?) 

Flyer (Blimey , I should know yours by now, another repeat offender  ) 

Kevin M 

Para Dave (you out there old chum ?) 

Anyone that wants an Fw190 that is not on the list , PM me . 

Tempest will be dealt with separately , but for those that also had a 190 , then postage on the Tempest is on me . 

As before , the reason we cant just put them on the website is because outsiders will bomb the party and buy them on my shop . That would leave one of our gallant lads with no plane . Not on my watch buddy !  You all contribute to these limited runs so in my book its deal with the gang first . 

Hi Richard - I did put my name in the hat but you have Flying Squirrel down as Steve above - That's not me!  I'm pretty new so don't think you have my details...It's Neil btw 

I'll PM you

It was for a 190 please 🙂

Edited by Flying Squirrel
  • Like 1

When you get your envelopes next week , please add your phone number in the box . The couriers quite often demand it and at this time of year we need everything in our favour !

Secondly -

This is a good opportunity for me to gather info from the gang . 

So on the back of the return form , please put what models (and size ) you would like to see produced in the future . 

Lets stick to top three please and see how that turns out . Keep in mind Ive got plenty to be getting on with at the moment , but with potentially almost seventy 190s and Tempests being built , there is certainly a question to be asked as to what after that ? I will do the same for the Tempest gang when the time comes but lets not do a general shout out on this thread as we all know how that turns out . 

• Like 5

If I was going from scratch, 4s battery, and appropriate motor. 

reasons

only one battery, simpler wiring, less faff each flight install two batteries.

a bit cheaper, one bigger battery is not twice as expensive as 2 half the size.

performance is the same as the watts you drag out are the same. 

• Thanks 1

I tend to agree with Don . If you already have a load of 3s packs , you might as well use them . You can get the same performance if you use a higher Kv motor , like 900 to 1200Kv as you would with a 4s pack . 

However , if you think about the fact that we are basically flying 55" fighters most of the time , then we want a simple and cheap set up that replaces the original 52 Four strokes . (and previous to that , the 40 size 2 strokes ).

33004s packs are quite readily available and being mainstream , relatively cheap . 

You could use any motor between 500kv up to 800 Kv and adjust the output with the pitch of the prop . 

So for example , the 800k would have 6" pitch , but the slower turning 500Kv would need 9" pitch . 

Putting two smaller packs in parallel literally doubles their endurance (more fuel in the tank ) , not the performance . 

More hassle to charge and more connectors . Neither is a big deal though . 

The kits will take either option . 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

I tend to agree with Don . If you already have a load of 3s packs , you might as well use them . You can get the same performance if you use a higher Kv motor , like 900 to 1200Kv as you would with a 4s pack . 

However , if you think about the fact that we are basically flying 55" fighters most of the time , then we want a simple and cheap set up that replaces the original 52 Four strokes . (and previous to that , the 40 size 2 strokes ).

33004s packs are quite readily available and being mainstream , relatively cheap . 

You could use any motor between 500kv up to 800 Kv and adjust the output with the pitch of the prop . 

So for example , the 800k would have 6" pitch , but the slower turning 500Kv would need 9" pitch . 

Putting two smaller packs in parallel literally doubles their endurance (more fuel in the tank ) , not the performance . 

More hassle to charge and more connectors . Neither is a big deal though . 

The kits will take either option . 

What fight time did you get with the 3300 4s packs please -  a piece of string question I know due to variation in throttle use, however it'll be a data point? And for completeness, how low do you run them? 

I'm going to need new packs and am considering 3300's at around 12 oz/ 350g or 3700's at around 13.5 oz / 390g . 

Thats a good question Graham . 

On 3300mah with a 6lb fully loaded (retracts etc ) warbird , I will get 5mins . That will allow me a realistic Duxford scale display . So , loops, rolls , low passes , derry turns .  But its probably only 25% of the time at full throttle . Most of the display is using the momentum of a previous manoeuvre .

That would be with a 580 Kv motor and a 14x8 propeller . (3 or 4 blade ) .

However , we only have to lug 4lb around , so all of those climb outs will chew up less amps . Plus , a two blade prop is more efficient than the 3 or 4 blade . 

Lastly , you can choose the pitch . So if youre not bothered about going above scale speed , you can use a finer pitch which will definitely use less current . 

For normal scale performance for a 4lb Fw190 on a 3300s pack , I would expect a regular 7 minute flight quite comfortably . 

It is a bit like driving a car though , two chaps will get different fuel consumption . Mind you , if you watch some of the Duxford displays , you can learn a lot, as their energy management is excellent . In some ways they are trying to hit the same criteria . Its not using up fuel they are worried about , but more a case of not stressing expensive engines , which is exactly like us avoiding excessive current consumption. (could give you terrible wind ).

• Thanks 1

The closest motor I have may be a little porky??

An old blue Emax 3526/05 686 Kv. The 3526 are stator dimensions, so the rotor is 44mm diameter, 44mm long and 250 grammes. 

https://www.himodel.com/electric/EMAX_Outrunner_Brushless_Motor_Type_BL3526_04.html

With a 4S lipo of 3300 to 3700 mAh at 350 to 390 grammes that's going to be 600 to 640 grammes. Plus the mount etc.

Thoughts please?

13 minutes ago, Graham Bowers said:

The closest motor I have may be a little porky??

An old blue Emax 3526/05 686 Kv. The 3526 are stator dimensions, so the rotor is 44mm diameter, 44mm long and 250 grammes. 

https://www.himodel.com/electric/EMAX_Outrunner_Brushless_Motor_Type_BL3526_04.html

With a 4S lipo of 3300 to 3700 mAh at 350 to 390 grammes that's going to be 600 to 640 grammes. Plus the mount etc.

Thoughts please?

Lovely colour Graham . That will do nicely . I generally use a 4250 size "can" , but a bit either side is fine . That motor is no heavier than the motor we use in our Spitfire. 

Plus , for anyone else wondering , you can move the battery pack/packs around a bit in the battery bay to adjust the C of G .

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Graham, Don't worry about the order or dispatching as normally Richard will get to a point and then feed the boys with all the wrong food and drink...I won't be pretty (might even get the odd photo) but they will work 24/7 without a comfort break!

PS, no news is good news, but if you have a question just ask

Versatile little chap isnt he ? 

I just wanted to say , that Ive enjoyed reading everyones little notes as the order sheets came in . Its nice to get a bit more insight into our group, so thanks chaps .  

Some didnt say what they would like further down the line , so I would encourage anyone to send a pm to me over the Christmas period (perhaps when you realise you need a bit of time out !) Lets face it , we sort of design and produce by committee , which seems to work quite well , albeit on a moderate numbers basis . 

Never the less , I would have loved to be able to ask someone like FMS for a specific model even if there was only a 50% chance of getting it . 

From your side I think you can pad out your Pm with a bit more brain storming than if you had to "stand up in class" . 

I genuinely do find your comments fascinating , so dont hold back . Also , sorry , Ive started now . 

If you have had any of my stuff before (thats most of you ) , can you let me know what you liked . Dont want flattery, just what works for you . 

For example , I fly the 109 and p51 a lot . Both easy for landing approach , dont seem fussy and thanks to the landing gear geometry , dont mind if the grass hasnt been cut . 

I also fly my 60" Heinkel , simply because it has the big bomber feel in a smaller package , but also runs on one pack , which means three packs and a coffee flask is morning done for me .  

• Like 5