The Big Question ?

RICHARD WILLS

Advert

Well my FW190 has got to the point where I’m running out of things to do other than painting it. Inspired by the amazing scale accuracy being shown by other builders, I’ve been conducting extensive research. As a result, I’ve discovered that the Luftwaffe painted the underside of their fighters with the “lourmarin” shade from the B&Q budget “Good Home” range. For maximum authenticity I’m using the “tough & durable” version that I’m almost certain was used in WW2. 🤣

IMG_4595.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

That's the stuff I use, watered down as the tester pots are too thick (made that way so that you think the paint covers better!). After I bought the first lot of 6 pots the nice lady on the till asked me what they were for, I told her that they were for painting my RC Airplanes, her reply was "that's really nice that someone is going to make proper use of them and not just daub a splash on a wall and throw the rest away"

• Like 4

That happened to me in B and Q, the young lady who mixed the paints asked what I was painting when I said an RC Spitfire she was very interested, thinking I would bore her with details I showed her the some pictures on my phone, she thought it was wonderful that I had such a great hobby and amazed in a way that someone still makes things rather than buying them off the  shelf. 

• Like 5

You have to think of it from the point of view of those young ladies doing that job - it probably makes a nice change to mix up some colour from something other than a paint sample and where it isn;t just a pastel shade of beige to go on a lounge wall. Now usually mine are camoflage colours, but I had some bright yellow scanned a few weeks back and it was very exciting. The various youngsters always ask what the paint is going to be used for and are always pleased to make up as many pots as you want.

I find you have to be a bit careful if thinning the paint to avoid adding too much water - I ruined my sub-pot of carefully matched RAF cockpit green only yesterday by overwatering it. I also add a syringeful of Owatol Floetrol to the thinned paint to help with the flow and minimise brushmarks.

I tend to mask the canopy off the plane and give it a quick dust of primer with an aerosol . It just helps the emulsion grip . 

Realistically though , that isnt required and emulsion will take quite happily on plastic , it was just my habit . 

The one pet hate I have (thats a lie , I have a few ) is an ARTF having say , a dark grey canopy frame regardless of the rest of the model .

Looks awful . The real base colours and basic camo were done at the factory with the canopy attached , so obviously they just masked the glass and sprayed over the whole plane . You cant go too far wrong if you just mask the glass in situ and paint the whole plane as if it was one entity . If you want to, it wont do any harm to run a scouring pad over the canopy frames in lieu of primer . Mask the glass first . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

I tend to mask the canopy off the plane and give it a quick dust of primer with an aerosol . It just helps the emulsion grip . 

Realistically though , that isnt required and emulsion will take quite happily on plastic , it was just my habit . 

The one pet hate I have (thats a lie , I have a few ) is an ARTF having say , a dark grey canopy frame regardless of the rest of the model .

Looks awful . The real base colours and basic camo were done at the factory with the canopy attached , so obviously they just masked the glass and sprayed over the whole plane . You cant go too far wrong if you just mask the glass in situ and paint the whole plane as if it was one entity . If you want to, it wont do any harm to run a scouring pad over the canopy frames in lieu of primer . Mask the glass first . 

Righty ho - that’s tomorrow evening sorted then! Thanks!

IMG_4604.jpeg

• Like 2

Personally I've found that the plastic canopies take the B&Q paint okay. I mask up inside and outside with masking tape, then brush paint the inside with cockpit green or grey and the outside with the appropriate camouflage colours, just as if I was spraying it with acrylics. I don't have a picture to hand of one done with B&Q paint, but this one shows the masking.

IMG_2962.thumb.jpg.acb1cdfa1ae366ad6c081a1bde493708.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK. I’ve got a partially painted but flyable plane, and I’m running out of reasons to chicken out of the maiden! I think the last unknown I have is CG position and control surface throws. I’ll set up the throws to match the recommendation on the printed sheet that came with the kit. However, on CG I wonder if anyone is flying with CG behind the 70mm from F2 recommendation? The reason I’m asking is because at present I’m going to need to add a fair bit of nose weight to hit the 70mm number. How twitchy would it get if I went a little behind the 70mm? Has anyone any real-world experience?

Lets see what Eric is flying at . 

Personally , I would temporarily ballast the model to the correct C of G for the test flight . It will easily carry an extra pound in weight if it had to so a few ounces wont matter . 

If the model flies ok , you can then start removing the ballast . 

On the other hand , if you chance it and fly with a rearward balance point and it goes wrong you wont have to worry about removing anything , 

gravity and the subsequent impact will do that for you 😁

8 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Lets see what Eric is flying at . 

Personally , I would temporarily ballast the model to the correct C of G for the test flight . It will easily carry an extra pound in weight if it had to so a few ounces wont matter . 

If the model flies ok , you can then start removing the ballast . 

On the other hand , if you chance it and fly with a rearward balance point and it goes wrong you wont have to worry about removing anything , 

gravity and the subsequent impact will do that for you 😁

I am aware of the saying about CG:

”A nose heavy plane flies poorly. A tail heavy plane flies once.”

😳

• Like 1

Regarding the c of g stick to the plan. Mine is about 2mm behind  and is very sensitive on the elevator,  I have have no ballast also no pilot or any cockpit detail the logic was to fly it then add detail later if it would allow. I  have 4s 3600 battery power these just fit in without cutting anything away. The Ali spinner is a great help for adding nose weight, I would strongly advise its use, the  main thing is to balance to the plan far better to loose a little performance than the aeroplane. Mine flys well between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

Regarding the c of g stick to the plan. Mine is about 2mm behind  and is very sensitive on the elevator,  I have have no ballast also no pilot or any cockpit detail the logic was to fly it then add detail later if it would allow. I  have 4s 3600 battery power these just fit in without cutting anything away. The Ali spinner is a great help for adding nose weight, I would strongly advise its use, the  main thing is to balance to the plan far better to loose a little performance than the aeroplane. Mine flys well between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle. 

Thanks Eric. That’s really useful feedback. I’ll be conservative for the maiden and cross fingers and toes!

• Like 1

Hi LM, 

I had someone hand launch mine for the maiden flight so I could be ready for any problems as it happened all I had to do was kill the climb, a strong wind, a sensitive elevator and a lot of power shot it into the air like a rocket but it flew straight. All following flights have been made from the dolly take off.

Worst thing now is waiting for the weather to improve I'm having withdrawal symptoms 😑