Pilots

David Davis 2

I am planning to build a David Hurrell 1/4 scale Fokker Triplane over the winter. I will obviously need a pilot figure for the model. I want to reproduce Adolf Ritter von Tutschek's aeroplane because it will be relatively easy to reproduce having only a white cowling and black rear fuselage and tailplane, otherwise being painted in the factory finish overall. Many of the pilot figures I've seen look rather old to me. Von Tutschek was only twenty-six on the day when he was killed and his victor was only twenty-one.

Can anybody suggest a firm which supplies WW1 pilots who don't look as old as the builder?

PS. Von Tutschek used to fly in a cut-down British leather flying coat.

th.jpg

13 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

David - if you get in touch with Dave Banks he ought to be able to sort you out with something suitable. His pilots are absolutely superb.

https://www.geneticsound.co.uk/Pilots/Pilots.html

So they are, but I see that the biggest size he makes are 1/6 scale, alright for a Flair Baronette but not suitable for a quarter scale triplane. I'll contact him anyway.

1 hour ago, David Davis 2 said:

So they are, but I see that the biggest size he makes are 1/6 scale, alright for a Flair Baronette but not suitable for a quarter scale triplane. I'll contact him anyway.

Yes, do contact him anyway. The pilots that he lists are the pilots that he has available, at a moment in time, but that isn't necessarily always the case. When I first contacted him the largest pilots that he made were 1/8th scale, most of his range was much smaller. When I got in touch for a crew for me wee Hobbyking Lancaster, completely off his own bat Dave sculpted additional figures, beyond the pilot figure that he already had in that scale, so that the crew didn't all look exactly the same. They arrived, standing in rank, side by side in a wee balsa box. I was so impressed. Dave's pilots really are the best , especially the painted ones.

• Like 1

Here is one, like a lot of internet sites it takes all day to find what you want,,🤢,

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1761697

I did a google search 1/4 scale pilot, it gives a lot more

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3355951-3D-Printable-Pilot-Figures

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon

18 hours ago, David Davis 2 said:

I am planning to build a David Hurrell 1/4 scale Fokker Triplane over the winter. I will obviously need a pilot figure for the model. I want to reproduce Adolf Ritter von Tutschek's aeroplane because it will be relatively easy to reproduce having only a white cowling and black rear fuselage and tailplane, otherwise being painted in the factory finish overall. Many of the pilot figures I've seen look rather old to me. Von Tutschek was only twenty-six on the day when he was killed and his victor was only twenty-one.

Can anybody suggest a firm which supplies WW1 pilots who don't look as old as the builder?

PS. Von Tutschek used to fly in a cut-down British leather flying coat.

Have a look at "Real Model Pilots"

They seem to do 1/4 scale (at a price!) unpainted or ready painted. I have used their smaller pilots and was impressed by the results.

Dick

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Here is one, like a lot of internet sites it takes all day to find what you want,,🤢,

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1761697

I did a google search 1/4 scale pilot, it gives a lot more

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3355951-3D-Printable-Pilot-Figures

Max Grueter's pilots are excellent, I've bought the files and printed several of them - I don't believe that he does WW1 German pilots though. On my last pilot file purchase from him I was somewhat disappointed to find that he'd changed the format, so that where previously the pilot's head was separate, locating in a socket, which made it possible to add a servo to the head, linked to the rudder channel, the latest versions had a rather obvious oblique cut through the body. That still gave options of different heads, but gave an unsightly artificial join through the body, which then needed to be made good. He'd also added a flat back to the pilots, engraved with his details. Whilst that helps to protect his designs against intellectual property theft it also spoils the figure, as far as I'm concerned and I won't be getting another pilot with that feature.

Since what David is looking for is quite specific - a WW1 German pilot of youthful appearance, in 1/4 scale - that might involve some additional 3D work, for which Real Model Pilots are a possibility, provided you have deep pockets. I dread to think what a 1/4 scale bespoke pilot would cost from that source.

For my CR42 Falco, I printed a bust of Mussolini's son - who does have quite a youthful appearance - but fitted it to a generic Luftwaffe pilot's bust. The Bruno Mussolini file does have a high buttoned very generic  non-detailed jacket (first image), which could possibly fit the bill if a leather jacket was dressed over the bust?

resize-untitled.jpg

image.png.920250f55bbfe7d4e2120fa9fbeb05e1.png

Edited by leccyflyer

Here's what Bruno Mussolini looks like in the model. Unfortunately I don't have any suitable WW1 German Imperial Air Force pilot busts to print to match the head to, but if you would like just the head, with helmet and goggles printed at 1/4 scale, for you to add a simple body with a suitable jacket - Alex Whittaker's article in the magazine showing how to do that from some scrap leather - I can do that for you. No charge.

image.thumb.png.aaa078a7dcff858096f324125f7ab2f3.png

What leccy said.  A 3D-printer capable friend found and printed off a head for me which I grafted on to an existing body (and old AH Designs pilot whose latex hands and head had perished 😥).

The head turned out to be female, so I performed some gender-reassignment surgery (blunted the nose, broadened the chin, added a regulation moustache with 'milliput') then painted 'him' up with acrylics and added a helmet made from some brown leatherette I'd got to do cockpit coamings. The goggles came off the old AH pilot.

PICT0011.JPG

I think he looks like the archetypal n-n-n-n 19 year old...

Edited by Mike T
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, John Lee said:

Wilson Lee (formerly YT International) does some superb pilots, very much 'top end' products. Here's his quarter scale page:

https://www.tailoredpilots.com/quarter

also have a look at his Facebook page (there is a link on the Tailored Pilots homepage) for some of his recent products. Worth a look even if you are not in the market!

I can't see his prices,,,,

3 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

Nice job Mike - those are great figure painting skills you have there. It's all I can do to get mine not completely boss-eyed. 😄

When I dabbed the white highlights in his corneas, I was suddenly confronted with a 1000 yd stare.  Quite disconcerting - I actually turned away! 😁

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 25/09/2023 at 10:40, Manish Chandrayan said:

Try contacting MRM, I think they do one in third scale too. I am using their quarter scale pilot in my Tiger Moth

Do you have link for MRM Manish?

I am also completing a DB Sport & Scale Auster, 1/5 scale which I was given years ago. The cockpit has a clear perspex roof so if the model was on the ground you'd be able to see into the cockpit easily. Obviously in flight or on the ground a model like this requires a pilot and at this size the pilot has to have arms and legs. Having become dismayed at the price of pilots I went to the local charity shop and bought a Barbi for 20 centimes! Not very original perhaps but at the price I'm not complaining! I've had to cut away the back of her knees to get her to sit down and she was wearing an evening dress, not really the sort of thing you'd wear when piloting your Auster! I know a lady who is a retired seamstress. I gave her several pairs of trousers to alter last week as well as the doll. I asked her to make either a uniform or a set of overalls for Barbi.

I'm going to pick her up this afternoon. I'll keep you informed! 😏

I was looking for a 'back seater' to go with the pilot in my Dennis Bryant Chippy - nothing special, just one of the inexpensive 1/6 or so types that came with most ARTFs. Not at all easy to find now, at least ones that don't look like they're the result of some human gene experiment that's gone wrong. Used to be loads available  at the shows in bargain bins where I think I picked up my Chippy's military-ish pilot (model in BBMF colours........highly complex job.......all black😉).