Brownie points - what are they ?

kevin b

As a single (maybe I'm just lucky) aeromodeller I often hear my flying mates mention "brownie points".

This got me pondering.

Are they quantifyable ?

Is there a standard exchange rate ?

Do they go off / out of date ?

Can you transfer them to other people ?

Are there different denominations ?

What happens to them when they are "used" ?

Will the government find a way to tax them ?

There are many other questions I could ask, but will wait for those with better knowledge to enlighten me.

🙂

• Haha 2

Brownie points are the reserve of timid, married men who are prepared to do anything for a quiet life.

Basically, it is a life-game of Snakes and Ladders, with a lot of long snakes and very few, short ladders. 

Some like to play the game. 

For those who don't want to play, staying single - or a decent divorce - negates the need to get involved. 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kevin b said:

As a single (maybe I'm just lucky) aeromodeller I often hear my flying mates mention "brownie points".

This got me pondering.

Are they quantifyable ?

Is there a standard exchange rate ?

Do they go off / out of date ?

Can you transfer them to other people ?

Are there different denominations ?

What happens to them when they are "used" ?

Will the government find a way to tax them ?

There are many other questions I could ask, but will wait for those with better knowledge to enlighten me.

🙂

Brownie points seem to be a currency of give and take where the exchange rate varies wildly in a way  I don't comprehend.

I don't comprehend because we don't use them. And whilst that seems to be a very rare way to live as a couple, it's suited us for 39 years.

Every relationship is different and we're together because we both like doing things together and doing things with our own friends. Or alone.

Edited by Graham Bowers
  • Like 1

I believe that brownie points can be exchanged for the much sought after 'pink ticket'. The bearer of a pink ticket is able to do as he pleases without fear of dog house confinement upon his return. 

1 hour ago, Graham Bowers said:

we're together because we both like doing things together and doing things with our own friends. Or alone.

Sounds like a win to me.  

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

I believe that brownie points can be exchanged for the much sought after 'pink ticket'.

I can't believe I am not the only one who's imagination was way off on a different tangent 😁

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Graham Bowers said:

Brownie points seem to be a currency of give and take where the exchange rate varies wildly in a way  I don't comprehend.

I don't comprehend because we don't use them. And whilst that seems to be a very rare way to live as a couple, it's suited us for 39 years.

Every relationship is different and we're together because we both like doing things together and doing things with our own friends. Or alone.

Well I've been lucky enough to be married for last 56 years to a very personable and tolerant woman.  We've had lots of fun doing things both together (motor cycling, sailing, pedal cycling, walking) and separately (see 'together' also aeromodelling (me) and yoga (her)).  Never had any need for brownie points.  It was when she lent me her brand-new Mini to take the engine of my also brand-new BSA Lightning back to BSA for essential repairs just a few weeks after we first met in 1965 that I realised she was a keeper. I've never (well, rarely 🙂 ) regretted it.  She's my best friend and a lot cleverer than I am.

• Like 2

Brownie Points...... Thats dead easy...... I found personally The more money I let my wife spend the more brownie points I get that allows me to go flying all day both Saturday & Sunday every weekwend......

Either that or by time the weekend comes round shes glad to get rid of me for 2 days in a row.....LOL

Edited by GaryWebb
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

Well I've been lucky enough to be married for last 56 years to a very personable and tolerant woman.  We've had lots of fun doing things both together (motor cycling, sailing, pedal cycling, walking) and separately (see 'together' also aeromodelling (me) and yoga (her)).  Never had any need for brownie points.  It was when she lent me her brand-new Mini to take the engine of my also brand-new BSA Lightning back to BSA for essential repairs just a few weeks after we first met in 1965 that I realised she was a keeper. I've never (well, rarely 🙂 ) regretted it.  She's my best friend and a lot cleverer than I am.

Ditto just about all of that for me and Mrs C8.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

The thing is Geoff, you HAVE been collecting them in the very best way - unconsciously. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geoff S said:

It's fully how motorcycling can be a glue**.

The tolerance of bantam crankases in the oven was a good portent of the 40 odd years to come. (Married 39, together 41).

**Or otherwise, in the case of an earlier one 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Bowers said:

It's fully how motorcycling can be a glue**.

The tolerance of bantam crankases in the oven was a good portent of the 40 odd years to come. (Married 39, together 41).

**Or otherwise, in the case of an earlier one 😉

In my case it was a BSA Gold Star cylinder head and a new set of valve guides in the fridge 🙂