Next Build?

Almost finished my JU87 and thoughts turning to the next build. Just wondering how others decide what they will tackle next, and what considerations if any will influence the decision?

Personally, I am thinking of a Grumman Duck in fibreglass covered depron. Reasons: not a lot of them about, fancy water flying for a change, promises to be an interesting build in depron. And of course I always liked the plane since seeing it in the movie "Murphy's War,” And there is a reasonable 3 view to work with on Wikipedia.

Edited by Michael Barclay
  • Like 1

Advert

My next build will be David Hurrell's 1/4 scale Fokker Triplane. I have always admired this aircraft since I saw a red Walter Musciano control-liner, powered by an AM 35, fly round and round the school playground when I was about twelve years old. I will start it once I've finished a couple of other models and repaired the club's trainer.

• Like 1

I’m currently having a Flair Scout theme.

1/4 Scale Dr1 currently being rebuilt from someone else’s efforts.

Followed by the Fokker D7 again a rebuild from someone else.

Then the Barronette built from the plan and the stack of wood I still have.

Then possibly an Atilla from a plan too.

Then another rebuild this time the SE5.

And if I survive that lot I have the Bristol Fighter to rebuild again from some one else’s efforts.

They will all be 4 stroke powered with engines I have Laser, Saito and SC. 

I already have a Puppeteer, Magnatilla and Legionnaire.

I know I’m mad but who cares 🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Engine Doctor said:

Model aircraft in school . Those were the days 😍 just imagine trying that now ?

Still happens here in NW Wales.  A Llandudno school teacher brings a big group lads and lasses up to the Great Orme quite regularly for flying sessions, they build their own aircraft in CDT lessons too I believe.

• Like 1

I'm coming to the end of my Go-Jet build, just the battery hatch to sort out, covering with laminating film and painting - should be done by the weekend. My diesel Outlaw fuselage is finished and just needs the engine fitting, once it's run-in and I'm concurrently doing the fix-up thing on a couple of Balsacraft Spitfires. Still have the Beaufighter and repaired EFlite P-51 to paint, but the temperature is staying below 10 degrees and not getting close to the 20 degrees for spraying.

That all means it's time to decide what is next for the bench. I'm committed to build a JayPee control liner by the end of the year, so I guess that is in pole position and should be a reasonably quick build. Once that's done a Vic Smeed Poppet beckons, to take advantage of my recent Macgregor Digimac 1+1 conversion.

To answer the question in the OP - most of my recent builds have been towards achieving success with single channel radio, fifty years since my failed attempts in my teens. There's a side project, which I give little chance of success to, of flying a control liner 50 years since my last go as well. The upcoming builds are selected on the basis of the resurgence of interest in vintage subjects after visiting the Pontefract vintage and single channel fly in in July, so are aimed at feeding my recently converted vintage 1970's Macgregor radio sets.

The usual selection process starts with having an interest in a particular aeroplane, researching it's history and seeing how to achieve that. That's the driver for the Balsacraft Spitfire fix-ups.

Edited by leccyflyer
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Sheepish said:

And if I survive that lot I have the Bristol Fighter to rebuild again from some one else’s efforts.

No, not mad at all...........the Flair Scouts were great models and well worth the effort and satisfaction gained from breathing new life into them. Can't understand why they've been allowed to wither away by the folks who own the rights to them at the moment.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

I'm coming to the end of my Go-Jet build, just the battery hatch to sort out, covering with laminating film and painting - should be done by the weekend. My diesel Outlaw fuselage is finished and just needs the engine fitting, once it's run-in and I'm concurrently doing the fix-up thing on a couple of Balsacraft Spitfires. Still have the Beaufighter and repaired EFlite P-51 to paint, but the temperature is staying below 10 degrees and not getting close to the 20 degrees for spraying.

That all means it's time to decide what is next for the bench. I'm committed to build a JayPee control liner by the end of the year, so I guess that is in pole position and should be a reasonably quick build. Once that's done a Vic Smeed Poppet beckons, to take advantage of my recent Macgregor Digimac 1+1 conversion.

To answer the question in the OP - most of my recent builds have been towards achieving success with single channel radio, fifty years since my failed attempts in my teens. There's a side project, which I give little chance of success to, of flying a control liner 50 years since my last go as well. The upcoming builds are selected on the basis of the resurgence of interest in vintage subjects after visiting the Pontefract vintage and single channel fly in in July, so are aimed at feeding my recently converted vintage 1970's Macgregor radio sets.

The usual selection process starts with having an interest in a particular aeroplane, researching it's history and seeing how to achieve that. That's the driver for the Balsacraft Spitfire fix-ups.

Thanks for your very interesting reply. That's what I had in mind with my OP. Not so much what people are building next, but their reasons for doing so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheepish said:

Hi Sheepish. I wish I was so prolific!

My next build will be, hopefully, the Warbirds Replicas Tempest.......... I love the pugnacious lines of the Tempest. And I got caught up in the excitement of the 'Big Question' thread.

It'll be unusual as I've not built/assembled a new outdoor electric plane for a couple of years now, having returned to mostly ic.

• Like 2

That's a lovely Me109F Eric, nice spinner too. Is that brown paper on the fuselage? The tail on the 109 always looks implausibly small when it's at the correct scale size, as so many models enlarge the tail surfaces. If I were to do a Freidrich it would have to be in that very handsome desert scheme, with the whie wingtips - that just suits the rounded wingtips of the F model so well.  I picked up a plan pack for the Brian Taylor Bf109e at a swapmeet for a ludicrously small price last year, so that is in the build queue as well, but quite a long way down.

Thanks Brian, it is brown paper over 3mm B and Q depron look alike. I have beefed it up too much I think when I look at the construction of eflightray's Spitfire, time will tell. At this point it balances without the battery so I will have to watch the weight at the front. I have a picture of a 109f in green and brown camouflage used in Russia but only a side view so I am not sure of the wing top camouflage pattern. 

• Thanks 1