Aeromodelling Quiz

Nick Cripps

With wind and rain lashing the windows and no prospect of flying for the next few days at least, I thought you might like to have a go at this little quiz to keep you amused. I put this together for one of our club nights last winter and it seemed to be well-received so I hope you enjoy it.

It consists of 5 rounds of 5 questions on various aspects of this wonderful hobby and is probably biased towards those who, like me, are lifelong aeromodellers, and they should find it fairly easy. Having said that, there are still some questions suitable for the relative newcomers, including a round on the laws relating to model aircraft operation which everyone should get right!

I'll put up a new round each day along with the answers to the previous day's questions. Good luck!

Note 1:- the judge's decision is final but correspondence will be entered into and is actively encouraged.

Note 2:- no AI programs or castor oil-based products were used in the making of this quiz.

• Like 1

Advert

58 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Im off to a bad start, 2/5 for question 1. Do we post our answers here or what? 

I think I can guess which ones you got right Jon, well at least one of them 🤣

I think it would be better to refrain from posting answers until each round is completed then we can all discuss them without giving the game away. Keep the scoring going though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Sounds good. 1 and 5 are the ones i got. I have seen U control before but it was in reference to a kit manufacturer rather than a person, so that has thrown me. Im not going to google cheat though. Ill just wait for the answer sheet. 

Sure you didn't need to google 5 Jon?  😜 

I'm afraid I only really got the same two, although my not completely confident guess at 4 was correct when I checked.

To be fair Martin, I set that question then had to look up the answer myself before including it in the quiz. The rest of them were dragged out of what is left of my brain.

Is it normal that I can remember obscure aeromodelling facts but completely forget the list of jobs my wife left me when she went to work this morning?

Also a bit more explanation on question 3. Like many other inventions, there is some controversy over who actually flew models by control-line for the first time but, rather like the Wright brothers claimed the first powered flight, Jim Walker patented the idea and was very good at marketing himself. Worth reading up on him too - his flying of 3 control-line models at the same time was extraordinary.

• Like 1