Aeromodelling Quiz

Nick Cripps

Advert

9 hours ago, Nick Cripps said:

Braking distances are easy. Square the speed in mph and then divide by 20 for the distance in feet. Thinking distance in feet is the same as the speed in mph. Stopping distance is thinking + braking distance. Piece of cake!

This assumes all cars have the same rate of deceleration at all times, which they dont. The same car with just a driver, or half a rugby team plus kit will stop differently due to the weight. Modern cars also stop far better than old ones. Some years back someone tested it (forget who) and found a fully loaded modern saloon would stop in half the distance the highway code talked about simply because the brakes are better. 

Clearly, all bets are off if it wet or snowy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nick Cripps said:

Braking distances are easy. Square the speed in mph and then divide by 20 for the distance in feet. Thinking distance in feet is the same as the speed in mph. Stopping distance is thinking + braking distance. Piece of cake!

Fruit cake with mazipan for me thanks😀 Seriously though looking at most drivers today passing a theory test is forgotten the moment they are given their pass. A bit like schooling these days , students are rauught to pass the exam and not any indepth knowledge of the subject . Learn it parrot fashion and pass . I think ive got them all correct this time , possibly maybe 🤔.

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Clearly, all bets are off if it wet or snowy. 

Yes all bets are definately off judging by the driving displays on our local roads let a.one on our motorways! ! Its inconcievable to me how people can drive in fog , around a tight bend or in heavy rain with associated spray at speed without being able to see a thing let alone consider. braking distance !  

Anyway off subject  . Give us the answers please 🧐

Shaun beat me to it

Edited by Engine Doctor

Sorry for the delay and distractions, let's get back to the real point of this exercise with the answers to round 3. Before I post them, however, I want to make a comment about this round.

I compiled this quiz as a bit of fun for a club night but chose to include a round on model flying regulations as a learning/teaching opportunity. I was aware that some of the club members (as on this forum, it appears) were not as familiar with the rules as I felt they should be. Anyone who didn't score well in this round was encouraged to go and have another read through of the BMFA documents relating to Article 16.

I would agree that some of these questions have additional clauses attached for different model weights or types, but taken on face value, the answers to 4 of them are straight out of the Quick Start Guide supplied by the BMFA. For the fifth one (Q13) you would have to dig a bit deeper into the Article 16 Authorisation, accepting also that it may not be relevant unless you fly the model disciplines listed.

None of this is very difficult and the BMFA even sent every member a copy of all the relevant documents upon membership renewal.

OK, I've stepped down now from my soapbox as I know some don't take kindly to being preached to.

I did better than i thought for round 3. 

Q11 i guessed 50m, wrong but correctly wrong. 

Q12 400 is the limit i keep my models to, but they are over 7kg anyway

Q13 i had indoor models in mind but didnt consider tethered stuff as...well its tied to the ground!

Q14 25kg was what i was expecting to see

Q15 seems logical

I award myself 3 i guess

Round 4, 4/5 unless i can remember for formula for the last one. 

1 hour ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I think I’m confident of 5/5 this time - for those struggling with the last one, without giving away the answer too easily, you may find it easier to think of how many C is being drawn and work from that. 

Do you mean the 30C in the question, Martin? 😉