GPS with FRsky?

Edgeflyer

I use the FrSky version extensively. Speed and position seem to be fairly accurate.

A screenshot showing some data from my Freewing Vulcan.

Speed.jpg.92597bd027d9053d7fc0e25e08cc0db1.jpg

Many years ago I manged to import the data and show a flight plan on Google earth. Can not for the life of me remember how I did it. If any one knows please tell me.

There is also this as an alternative. Bit on the pricy side though.
SM-Modellbau

I like them. I also have telemetry set up to call out speed, height etc etc on a button on my X20

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kevin Fairgrieve said:

Many years ago I managed to import the data and show a flight plan on Google earth. Can not for the life of me remember how I did it. If any one knows please tell me.

Is DataExplorer any use? https://www.nongnu.org/dataexplorer/

It's a free app, and I know it works well with a number of brands of telemetry/logged data. It seems to have an Open-Tx option, but not sure if that applies to the latest FrSky telemetry data. Perhaps worth a look?

As well as displaying the data graphically I can also use it to download GPS data into Google Earth to show a flight. There are various versions for PC or smartphone.

Dick

37 minutes ago, Dickw said:

Is DataExplorer any use? https://www.nongnu.org/dataexplorer/

It's a free app, and I know it works well with a number of brands of telemetry/logged data. It seems to have an Open-Tx option, but not sure if that applies to the latest FrSky telemetry data. Perhaps worth a look?

As well as displaying the data graphically I can also use it to download GPS data into Google Earth to show a flight. There are various versions for PC or smartphone.

Dick

Nope, it was way easier than that. No additional software involved, other than Companion and Google earth.

At least that is how I remember it!

I have an FrSky GPS sensor V2 which I used a fair amount in the mid 2010s. I can't remember when it, or what, went wrong, but following an OpenTX update it would no longer link to Google Earth and the format of the data recorded in the SD log file was garbled. Therefore I haven't used it recently.

However, having read the thread above I decided to have a play with it this evening. I connected it to a receiver, waited until the red led changed from quick flashing to slow flashing - indicating a satisfactory GPS position was fixed - and recorded a 4 minute log.

I copied the log file onto my computer and accessed it with OpenTx Companion. Much to my surprise it opened Google Earth, read the data and opened a display of the recorded position.

That's when things didn't go so well! I was indicated to be somewhere in/on the North Sea - not so good. However, the latitude was correct, but the longitude was not. The problem is that I live around 0.5 deg. west of the Greenwich meridian and Google Earth takes 0.5 as being East.

The answer in the short term, in order to display the correct position, is to change the longitude data to read -0.5 deg. then all is well. I did this using a spreadsheet, but it's not a quick and simple task. However it does at least show that it works, more or less. The problem is that if you fly across the meridian then this won't work.

There may be a simple configuration, either in OpenTX or in Google Earth, which would fix this, but I don't know.

GDB

11 hours ago, Caveman said:

I have an FrSky GPS sensor V2 which I used a fair amount in the mid 2010s. I can't remember when it, or what, went wrong, but following an OpenTX update it would no longer link to Google Earth and the format of the data recorded in the SD log file was garbled. Therefore I haven't used it recently.

However, having read the thread above I decided to have a play with it this evening. I connected it to a receiver, waited until the red led changed from quick flashing to slow flashing - indicating a satisfactory GPS position was fixed - and recorded a 4 minute log.

I copied the log file onto my computer and accessed it with OpenTx Companion. Much to my surprise it opened Google Earth, read the data and opened a display of the recorded position.

That's when things didn't go so well! I was indicated to be somewhere in/on the North Sea - not so good. However, the latitude was correct, but the longitude was not. The problem is that I live around 0.5 deg. west of the Greenwich meridian and Google Earth takes 0.5 as being East.

The answer in the short term, in order to display the correct position, is to change the longitude data to read -0.5 deg. then all is well. I did this using a spreadsheet, but it's not a quick and simple task. However it does at least show that it works, more or less. The problem is that if you fly across the meridian then this won't work.

There may be a simple configuration, either in OpenTX or in Google Earth, which would fix this, but I don't know.

GDB

Interesting.

I just did something similar. Loaded an "old" log file and it went straight to Google Earth.

Tried to do the same with a "newer" log file and there appears to be a number of changes in the way the GPS is read. So I get the following error.

2.jpg.34067a7df1369fa044cffbd527c47644.jpg

Note on the left hand side we now have two fields called Latitude and Longitude.

Using the old file.

1.jpg.94c7ff0fe5c405c1b541d7212ae4c562.jpg

Clearly marked GPS. This one imports into Google Earth no problem.

I shall investigate a bit more.

• Like 1

Hi Kevin, I've been delving a little deeper.

My oldest file Whizz Kid Sept 2015 has 2 columns labelled Lat & Long which Google Earth doesn't recognise. If I create a new column labelled GPS and place in it the lat and long info separated by a space then Google can recognise it and will display correctly. But, it doesn't appear to recognise the Alt data so doesn't display the flight path correctly. The Alt appears to be in metres and the Speed in knots.

2071996576_WhizzKid04092015.thumb.jpg.a7a7108f20031975d26450c02f9223ac.jpg

None of the logs created before June 2016 will work - they did originally.

I must have updated my OpenTx version sometime in early 2016 because all files from June 2016 to December 2017 now display correctly, as this one. However from September 2016 the altitude changed to ft and speed to mph - I must have changed something!

328324408_SuperCub15092016.thumb.jpg.bdb5757ff2fc640ae7c979dce4e20389.jpg

Note the format of the lat and long. Longitude annotated W and latitude N

The same flight in Google Earth

1873068119_SuperCub15092016flight.thumb.jpg.e013ec22f2ea05735ca6bba41c4a55e1.jpg

I didn't use the GPS again until December 2018. The log file appears to be corrupted. See the next photo. The GPS and date fields seem to have been mixed together somehow. Although the Alt and Speed etc are OK it's no good for Google!

1212382821_Cap20L10122018.thumb.jpg.868ad157332b7853d68f2187b2207838.jpg

GPS then not used until my test last evening where everything works OK, except that the longitude is incorrect as reported above. Also the alt is now in metres and speed in knots again. I think I must have again updated my tx between December 2017 and December 2023. Also a new column has appeared in the log file labelled 'F010' - I've no idea what it is!!

Note this a static test, the GPS was sitting on my window sill - variation in altitude must be down to signal quality, or lack of it 🙂

175214229_FlapTest31122023.thumb.jpg.52e3e54bc65025599154136ea34858b4.jpg

NB This is the altered log to change the longitude from E to W be inserting a minus sign.

Any suggestions?

GDB

Edited by Caveman
Additional text

I had a thought at work today!!!

Maybe it has something to do with the way the GPS is configured in the "radio setup screen" this on my Taranis X9D running the latest EdgeTX. Can not remember the last time I played with the X9D. Sure seems antiquated. No touch screen etc etc.

Been sat now for 20 minutes waiting for the sensor to pick up even one solitary satellite. Currently I think it may have to do with the Coordinate format DMS/NMEA

Storm Henk is battering my location at the moment and cloud cover is 10/10. Not ideal for our budget level GPS to work under.

I will try again tomorrow.

Kevin, I had another go at this today.

On the sensors page of the Taranis the lat and  long are read from the GPS sensor and displayed as xxxxN yyyyyW, which is correct for my location. But, when written to the log it is stored as xxxxx yyyyyy, the N & W being dropped, and therefore becomes xxxxx yyyyy which is N & E. Hence the the longitude is displayed by Google Earth as N & E and I'm shown as being in the North Sea. This under OpenTX 2.2.1

I previously under OpenTX 2.1 (?) the data was logged as xxxxxN yyyyyyW and all worked well, so I can only think that something has been altered in the OpenTX upgrade.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter to me, all I have to do is amend the longitude to a negative value and it displays correctly.

It may be that if I upgraded to OpenTX 2.2.4 it may be that it's been fixed but I can't face the hassle of upgrading 🙂

GDB

• Thanks 1

Been doing some tests myself!!

Managed to connect to many satellites.

Did a quick test with GPS set to DMS
1.jpg.4f4fda61d26556535ca64cb05e768ad3.jpg

I now have a GPS column.

2.jpg.09b1ed2b6f4ea791b40f5fbbd689391f.jpg

And the trace puts it exactly over my house!!

All tests conducted using a Taranis X9D running Edge TX 2.9.2

I shall investigate further.

Kev

I have a similar confusion with a GPS module connected to a elrs receiver with pwm converter. The converter has a UART connection to a GPS sensor and provides data to my tx via telemetry. It fixes 10 satellites quickly but consistently reports the location wrongly. It is about 0.3 degrees out both for N/S and E/W. Additionally the E/W figure is positive when it should be negative. So I am also in the North Sea. I have tried this with 2 different satellite GPS sensors and get the same results .

I tested the M10 module using ublox ucenter2 with a usb dongle connection to the pc. Within a minute it found 21 satellites and gave the location exactly correctly. So why when using elrs telemetry is it so consistently wrong and is there a workaround?

18 hours ago, Edgeflyer said:

I tested the M10 module using ublox ucenter2 with a usb dongle connection to the pc. Within a minute it found 21 satellites and gave the location exactly correctly. So why when using elrs telemetry is it so consistently wrong and is there a workaround?

Wrong datum perhaps? 🤷‍♂️

https://www.maptools.com/tutorials/map_datum

I realise this is written for our American cousins but the principle is the same for the UK

I created a log file from the GPS telemetry on my tx and on examination the GPS locations were exactly correct. However the live telemetry data on the tx screen is always 0.3deg out and I'm easy of Greenwich when I should be west 

I now realise this is just my mistake. The telemetry screen is reporting location in degrees and minutes whereas the log shows decimal data. 

Yes Phil, that's the problem I think. The data taken from the GPS sensor and displayed on the screen (of my Taranis) is longitude W, latitude N, but when transferred to the log it's written as a decimal degrees, but the longitude should have a negative value for W, but it's logged with as a positive (E) value.

Hence I'm shown as being out in the North Sea!!

I can't find any way to resolve it.

GDB

My log shows negative values for the easterly. You can copy them into Google maps and get the correct position to locate a lost model