A change in ESC type

I'm looking to try other ESC manufacturers in a bid to get away from Overlander which have not been the best in my experience.

So ..... who is using what ? 

It's for your average model type and looking for a 60 or 80 amp 3sc preferably fitted with,either an xt 60 or IC5 connector.

Not sure of my sbec's  from my ubec's

Notmfussy about brands... p4ovej reliability means more.

Cheers

Toto

I've used a few different brands, most have been fine, I like the ZTW Beatles  ESCs, work well and have been very reliable and reasonable cost. Several UK based suppliers too, eg Robotbirds, RC World.

But I also have a couple of Overlander ESCs and they've been fine too.

Thanks Frank,

I have a Beatles ESC but it needs connectors soldered on. I think from memory, it has bullet conne tors on the motor end but they are too small. I'll heed to double check again.

I've also just taken a punt on a Hoobywing Skywalker 60A Ubec. We'll see how that goes.

Again ..... I think it does not come with connectors so I'll need to get the size of the required bullets and order them in. I will fit either XT60 or IC5 at the battery end.

Cheers

Toto

I'm using lots of EFlite ESCs, which tend to come with their PNP models and haven't had any significant issues with those. I like the Hobbywings and have a fair few of those - I note that someone said the Overlander are rebadge Hobbywings, but I'm not sure whether that is the case. Anyway I haven't had any issues with those.  Love my Jeti ADvance and Afvance Pro ESCs, most of which are getting fairly long in the tooth but have mostly been bulletproof - unfortunately my earliest ones are pre-lipo, as are my original Model Motors ones, so I've retired some of those.

Have never tried the Beatles ones. I did mail order one of them, but when it hadn't turned up after a few weeks got in touch with the vendor and was informed that the Royal Mail had delivered it a couple of weeks earlier. I asked our postwoman the next time I saw her and it quickly emerged what had happened. We were out when she had made the delivery, so she'd put it in a safe place and I just hadn't found it. Apparently She Came In Through The Bathroom Window.....

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, toto said:

I have Ripmax Quantum motors. Still to try their ESC's.

Toto

Ive got the Quantum 40 in a Waterhouse & Eley Superfly running on Quantum 40 motor & Quantum 60A ESC with 2800 4S lipo and with that it's easily overpowered which originally the Superfly was designed for .25-.40 glow engine 

414569471_10161593405552915_8369229892915111462_n.jpg

I Gary,

I think you are right. I'd love to have seen the life left in that battery after being put through the wringer like that. It seemed to be a full on performance. Thanks for posting up kind Sir. 

Toto

16 minutes ago, toto said:

I Gary,

I think you are right. I'd love to have seen the life left in that battery after being put through the wringer like that. It seemed to be a full on performance. Thanks for posting up kind Sir. 

Toto

At the end of that quick hop round the field t i think the lipo was at around 70-75% once it was off the ground after take off it was flying around at about half throttle so I cudda kept it up for another 7-8 minutes rather than cutting the flight so short

Edited by GaryW

It flew like a scalded cat :classic_laugh: I dont think I could have done another 8 minutes at that speed. Concentration must have been high. Adrenalin through the roof.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Toto

One note about the Hobbywing ESCs. The genuine ones are fine, but I had a counterfeit one from Ebay and it didn't work! Fortunately, from the outset and I got a full refund. But as with hookie servos, take care.

I've realised now that I have to stop trying to save money as it was costing me a fortune!

Graham

2 hours ago, toto said:

It flew like a scalded cat :classic_laugh: I dont think I could have done another 8 minutes at that speed. Concentration must have been high. Adrenalin through the roof.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Toto

I was actually rather relaxed believe it or not

Well .....

3 no Hobbywing Skywalker 60A V1 UBEC 2- 6s ESC's arrived this morning from 3DXR.

All need connectors etc fitted but I'll need to check the bullet connector size of various motors. I'm sure they are 4mm. Also ... probably XT60 battery connectors will be used.

Good delivery service from 3DXR

Toto

8 hours ago, toto said:

Well .....

3 no Hobbywing Skywalker 60A V1 UBEC 2- 6s ESC's arrived this morning from 3DXR.

All need connectors etc fitted but I'll need to check the bullet connector size of various motors. I'm sure they are 4mm. Also ... probably XT60 battery connectors will be used.

Good delivery service from 3DXR

Toto

Be careful, Toto.  A lot of motor/esc connections are 3.5mm for some strange reason.  Not a problem if you've got them but I can't see a problem with using 4mm except the weight increase and possible space.

I have a range of esc of various types and never really had a problem.  I have a number of mostly 60 amp Frsky Neuron esc which are great with the telemetry feedback, particularly on maiden flights - mostly current draw, which I have on voice, selectable on a switch.

• Like 1