New Neighbours

Geoff S

850300181_NewLambs.jpg.c6add34b1b188d5f1a592ff2c87a67e1.jpg

Took this over our fence into next door's field this afternoon. 2 black Ryedale lambs.  The blackthorn is in flower, lots of snowdrops and daffodils soon ready to bloom, may will be out soon so we can 'cast a clout' - spring is on its way 🤞

• Like 6

The blackthorn lines the A38 about 3/4 mile away from us, and it's spectacular this year.  We looked at the hawthorn on our walk but, as yet, no sign of the may blossom.  It was sunny and windy but the ground is sodden and now we're getting even more rain. 

Funnily enough, as I was driving this morning, I spotted a spectacular blackthorn in full bloom in a garden at the bottom of my road................. 

And our Snowdrops have already gone over.  Bluebell and Tulip leaves appeared but no buds. Peony leaves sprouting everywhere.

Garden is like a swamp - think I saw a Cayman hiding by the potting bench! 

21 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Vicious stuff…its thorns will penetrate a tractor tyre or a boot sole without a second thought. 

As well as that, it's much more likely to cause an infected wound than other thorns, so puncture injuries need to be treated with care and respect. I get up close and personal with it quite a bit in my voluntary work.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Vicious stuff…its thorns will penetrate a tractor tyre or a boot sole without a second thought. 

When I lived in the S/W of france, it was a monthly task repairing my 2CV tyres, where I live now my neighbour has 60+ metres of them separating our gardens, and yes on my third set of mower tyres even though I use that 'green' stuff in the inner tubes.

It is now illegal to plant them in france.

58 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

It is now illegal to plant them in france.

Yes it evil stuff but banning it is a bit strong as small birds nest in it and depend on it for protection. But the French authorities dont seem to care about that , do they ?  In a rural environment its fine but house developers here in the UK use it in public areas as a decorative shrub then just let it grow wild ! It can be a thorn in the side 😉 but its needed in wild areas like hedges . As already said it help keep out the local two legged wild life.

• Like 3

With all the flooding this year, we've three large ponds in the surrounding fields and they have attracted a tremendous quantity of wildfowl. The daily ritual of up to a hundred geese arriving and departing, quite a few mallard, plus countless gulls of various types and a couple of dozen oystercatchers to join our indigenous population here. The swans have even turned up on these puddles, which though large in area are no more than a foot deep but are obviously providing good eating for these waterfowl.