Lightweight IC starter for "old" hands

Halsey

Hi,

I am increasingly finding the "standard" Sullivan Hi-Tork starter type very difficult to use with an arthritic thumb/hand

There are others about but what do those of you "of a certain age" recommend - I appreciate lightweight will mean lower performance but its more ease of use in not having to grasp a heavy lump of metal and simultaneously push/find a button whilst hanging on to a prized hand built model which is the issue - ie the general ergonomics 

Any suggestions based on actual experiences would be much appreciated

J

I would suggest one from "Just Engines" . They do two versions depending on what size engines you have. Both are excellent and in my opinion better than the overweight, overpriced and over rated Sullivan. My Sullivan wouldn't even turnover an OS 200 FS whereas the JE turns it with ease.

• Thanks 1

I gave up using a non-geared starter because when the battery was a bit low, it failed to turn over relative small engines.

I use a starter like the JE one, it's cheaper than the Kavan type that's been around for decades, the one from Leeds. A 3s 2200mAh lipo serves for weeks before needing a recharge.

A number of years ago, I made a “hands-free” starter for 1/12 scale combat flying where every second in the air accrued points.

The idea was to have a sprung front plate carrying the starter and a switch (some car contact breakers IIRC).  After pre-tuning the engine, I would prime the engine and connect the glow before retreating for the Le Man’s type scramble, run and grab hold of the model sitting in front of the starter, press the spinner into the cone, energising the starter and apart from dislodging the glow I was able to (hand) launch within a couple of seconds. 

A real benefit is that you’re starting the model from behind which limits opportunities to hurt yourself!

I think there might possibly be some designs published for similar arrangements but I can dig out what’s left of my old system from the depths of my workshop and photograph it for some inspiration if you’re interested. 

• Like 1

The Kavan starter as per the picture with Leeds link  is an excellent ,powerful ,light and due to its smaller diameter is easy to grip. No drop in performance either . I have used one for years now . They are quite expensive and there are other similar types on the market . The Sullivan and others like them are IMO just an old outdated design 

OK - thanks all for your enthusiastic comments it really is appreciated.

I will have to wait to try one as the two styles of switch will affect my choice - if the JE finger grip is a "light" switch and nothing like the Sullivan I think that will suit me better as my thumb is where the dreaded arthritis sits!

Cheers

J

Anyone want a very little used Sullivan??? £25 plus postage 🙂 nothing wrong with it if you are fit enough to use it.

4 hours ago, Halsey said:

Where is the start button/switch?

I want it to work for easy single handed operation

Found an Align on sale but the button seems to be behind the hand so 2 hands needed??

Nope, a clubmate has one - one hand on starter, one on model. It's even advertised as such (see Paul's post above for link).

5 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Nope, a clubmate has one - one hand on starter, one on model. It's even advertised as such (see Paul's post above for link).

Sorry your "nope" is not quite clear (to me) are you "promoting" the Align or the JE in your single handed comment (Pauls link seems to be the JE) 

Thanks

Edited by Halsey

14 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Sorry your "nope" is not quite clear (to me) are you "promoting" the Align or the JE in your single handed comment (Pauls link seems to be the JE) 

Thanks

I've just confused matters - sorry.

A friend has the Align starter that he uses with one hand on his model aeroplane and one on the starter.

Richard's post has the link to it at Model Shop Leeds.  They are rather pricy!

Edited by GrumpyGnome
  • Thanks 1

So given all of the above it seems that the JE is probably the best choice for me - thanks all.

I was only pushing as I know of an Align as new on sale for £50 and it won't hang around for that but if its for hellis then that explains its switch layout

Thanks to everyone.

J

• Like 1