3D Print Whole Model - Caracara

Hoochykins

Yes and I won’t do it again, PLA is very brittle and the model won’t survive anything other than a perfect landing.

3D printing certainly has its place and uses, but in my experience it’s currently too fragile for a whole airframe.

We have a prolific 3d printer member in our club. He printed a Vulcan for me that has survived for a couple of years. It's a bit like the well known new broom, some parts are original but not all. I agree with PR P they are quite delicate and needs nothing other than a perfect landing.

1 hour ago, Hoochykins said:

Was this using LW-PLA or this new Air PLA? Apparently the Air PLA is quite a bit stronger and it does seem quite good at the moment

They are the same material.

Yeah I'm printing the fuselage as the moment, Ill get it all printed and assembled then let you know if it's still looking strong but currently it's looking good. Does string a bit but I'll sort that out by adjusting the settings. It's looking positive.

Edited by Hoochykins
  • Like 1

I have printed a couple of Planeprint’s models with ColorFabb LW-PLA. After the first one broke apart spectacularly in an area of high stress, I’ve learned that you need to reinforce any potential high stress areas with longitudinal strips (5mm x 1mm) of carbon fibre.

I’ve not had any problems printing LW-PLA with my Ender 3 V2, as long as you follow Planeprint’s instructions to set up the correct profiles in Cura.

IMG_6478.thumb.jpeg.f3758fe527d7fb12ea104827a9175573.jpeg
IMG_6832.thumb.jpeg.b475cb619be525bfb2deee4d65ca817c.jpeg

Edited by EvilC57
  • Like 2

I have printed and flown a number of 3d printed edf's and gliders most of which were successful. Models printed from PLA can be a bit fragile but I think some of that is due to the way they are designed. I have found that models printed with pre foamed PLA or LW-PLA are more durable as those materials have some flex in them whereas standard PLA is very rigid. Applying 25g/sqm glass cloth applied with WBPU varnish adds greatly to the strength of the models with very low weight increase. I have one very fast edf flying wing which would land quite fast and used to break the fuselage every few flights. Since applying the glass cloth it has flown a number of flights with no problems. Two of the models are shown below. The Fanblade is the model which has had glass cloth applied to the fuselage, the photo was taken before it was done. The Pika was mainly printed from standard PLA but the tail section from the wing aft was printed from pre foamed PLA which saved about 50g of nose weight over a Pika printed purely from standard PLA.

Pika.jpg

Fanblade.jpg

• Like 4

I've printed Eclipson's Model B in both regular PLA and LW-PLA.  I did the regular one first because that's the material I had at the time, and if flew very nicely but needed lead in the nose.  Something broke on landing though (can't remember what) so I reprinted the fuselage.

In the meantime I printed it using LW-PLA but with a regular PLA nose and rudder for contrasting colour, and transferred the motor and electronics there.  That didn't need lead in the nose, was very skittish, and suffered a broken nose when it nosed over on landing.  I'm experimenting using CA debonder to remove the damaged nose so I can replace just it, rather than reprinting the whole fuselage.  I've now got some other colour LW-PLA so will be using it for the replacement nose, as my experience is it's much more robust than regular PLA.

• Like 1

There were a number of 3D printed aircraft at the RCHotel last year. Joe Anderson was having great success with lightweight & flexible filaments. I was quite impressed with them, certainly a much more viable medium than conventional PLA. I was able to fly the ones below whilst I was there and performance is certainly comparable to conventional constructed models.

E7DA87C0-CD43-4058-99F9-47FA4937AE6F_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.0ea4b58ed8d3f989ed7be4162f0589b9.jpeg

433868F4-2CB2-4F56-BC17-A8995238CC1D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b7521f8dfe3bb5b8998163fe1019b4af.jpeg

Cheers guys, loads of info. The glass cloth idea is something I will look into depending how this model behaves. I have used the foaming PLA, only this Air PLA so I don't have much to compare it to, might have to grab some just to test with.

18 hours ago, Hoochykins said:

Cheers guys, loads of info. The glass cloth idea is something I will look into depending how this model behaves. I have used the foaming PLA, only this Air PLA so I don't have much to compare it to, might have to grab some just to test with.

Be great to hear how you get on with this pre-foamed PLA, worth noting I am not a very experienced pilot so my PLA experience could also be in part due to my rubbish landings. 😁👍

Printing the parts for an entire model plane sounds attractive but it does not solve the problem of using the same material through out the entire structure coupled with the fact that a printed part has a significant 'grain'. It is stronger and stiffer along the line of the print than across it. In PLA this effect is pretty significant

Put all this in the mix and you are bound to end up with a less than ideal plane from a structural point of view.

Even a classic balsa built up plane uses different materials where appropriate like different grades of balsa, hardwoods, carbon and aluminium tube  as well as glass cloth or a heat shrink polymer..

My own view is to use printed parts including using different print materials where the benefits of the printing process outweigh any structural issues.

My own example of this process is in my simple 52" (1320 mm) span "Big Dragon" pusher.

19May18.JPG.b4f1046d98be9b180f4df09ecdb6fd3c.JPG

Actually built as a follow on to an slightly larger all Depron powered glider to explore and test my 3d printing design skills as well as to hopefully create a more practical plane. 

The fuselage which includes the wing pylon that has a built in cooling duct for the ESC within it, the motor mount and the battery compartment are all printed in PLA as are the wing ribs. The wings are skinned in 3mm Depron which has a hard balsa spar. The tail boom is a glass fibre tube. The tail surfaces are balsa reinforced sheet foam.

It weighs 743g (26oz) with a 2800 mAh 3s on board. Full power is rarely used unless you want to go straight up!

The printed components added about 50g compared to the earlier Depron fuselage built up from 6mm thick foam but the PLA is stronger and probably gives better aerodynamics.

If you want to build an RC model airliner printed fuselage formers represents a really economic way to make lots of identical fuselage formers.

Inside1.JPG.f52f60d143990521fa3fe167215d9d31.JPG

The clever bit is how to use them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing to do with planes as such but I was printing a lightweight structural part. Intended to be a single 0.3 mm wall with a 5% "gyroid" infill.

The only problem was I had accidentally set the "wall flow" to zero. 😟

1249515337_FillNoWall.JPG.9b73c7a1791975f3ce3ef73f0f5248f8.JPG

An interesting result. A free standing infill. 

I can think of no use for such a thing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2024 at 17:35, Simon Chaddock said:

If you want to build an RC model airliner printed fuselage formers represents a really economic way to make lots of identical fuselage formers.

Inside1.JPG.f52f60d143990521fa3fe167215d9d31.JPG

The clever bit is how to use them!

Simon,

Looks great 🙂 and tres light 🙂

Is it planked with 3mm foam? Can you let us know what sort of size are the formers are and what you use for a jig? (or is there a build thread?)

Thanks

Mike

On 11/03/2024 at 09:38, Simon Chaddock said:

Nothing to do with planes as such but I was printing a lightweight structural part. Intended to be a single 0.3 mm wall with a 5% "gyroid" infill.

The only problem was I had accidentally set the "wall flow" to zero. 😟

1249515337_FillNoWall.JPG.9b73c7a1791975f3ce3ef73f0f5248f8.JPG

An interesting result. A free standing infill. 

I can think of no use for such a thing!

Print your own loofah?

Mike

That fuselage, it is 2.2 m long! was planked in 3mm Depron.

There is a build blog for the whole AN124 Ruslan here

You will see that I don't use a jig as such but build each part of the fuselage as a "half shell over the plan". The plan has the former positions marked. When the half shell planking is complete it is rigid enough to be lifted and the other half of the formers added. The remainder of the planking is then done "free hand".

I would not recommend building something as complex as the AN124 using this process without practicing building several smaller models first.

I very much doubt I will ever do anything as big again!

Edited by Simon Chaddock