Remote Glow Plug Connectors

Posted (edited)

I often remotely wire the glow plug connections on inaccessible engines - mostly Lasers and YS. In the past i have used OS remote leads, but these are now impossible to source.

I wondered what others used and whether anyone had a homemade solution that is reliable. YS engines on resilient mounts appear to eat most connectors for breakfast due to the movement.

Edited by Robert Welford

Advert

6 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

I use miniature crocodile clips, on OS 8, Enya 3 and OS F plugs, on my Novarossi helicopter engine I grounded a small hole in the tip for the Enya 3 plug.

Sans titre.jpg

For Enya #3 plugs one can unscrew the centre post using the convenient machined hex and slip a brass washer (with glow lead attached) over the post before replacing the centre post.  Cant get much lower profile than that.

Of course, your engine has to run satisfactory using Enya #3 plugs but most i.c. glow engines seem to like them.

* Chris *

• Like 2

John: use of flexy spring is an interesting solution. I will try to source some spring.

MK plug remotes used a spring in the connector, but they are no longer available. I have used MK remotes with success although the plug/socket used to self-destruct over time when used with YS engines - probably the vibration.

Robert, I've used the stationery file springs method for years and all the makes seem to fit OS plugs just right. If they are a too big for your plugs they can be flattened a bit in a vice.

The modern curtain wire springs (all from China?) have a smaller diameter that those of old and cannot be forced open enough - if you find a source that will fit OS plugs please let us know.

You could also try these springs though a bit more expensive than stationery files, but they should still produce quite a few connectors.    

1652147963_Screenshot2024-05-14131104.png.fd0273caaa8912fbe25b6f1d116c62fe.png

I use a it of brass tube, right diameter, and I slit it along its length,  one face only with a hacksaw. Get the diameter right and open one end slightly, solder the wire on, and it slides over the plug, gentle taps to spread the tube. 

1 hour ago, RottenRow said:

Only any good on OS and rossi plugs, where the plug sits out, no good on my 4 stroke, Laser, Os and Enya, and of course helicopter engines.

I should add that I have used the metal insert out of a 3A multi block screw connector with a fibre washer to insulate it from the body of the plug, the wire screwed into the other end. Works well provided you can get to the screw to tighten it.

s-l1600.webp

They will fit a Laser, just, but the outer insulation does snag on the fins and will wear through, plus the act of pulling on the wire to release them weakens the wire and I’ve had several break because of this. I no longer use them preferring the curtain wire approach which is a much better, and much cheaper, option.

2 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

But they won't fit a Laser! (see posts above).

I used one on a laser 100 in a scale spitfire i had about 20 yrs ago with no issues