Classic designs and slope soarers with 'soul'

2 hours ago, David perry 1 said:

Soarcerer by Dave Hughes.  A truly beautiful model with elegant simplicity and a joy to build and fly.  Ive made several over the years including one 120" version for a laugh

We first saw the Soarcerer at a Northern Area slope comp held at Tinkers Monument, where the Bradford club members had all built theirs with foam cores with partial sheeting and cap strips, so they looked 'built up'.  They were all reduced dihedral aileron builds, maybe 8 or 10 of them, and this was before we'd even seen a rudder/elevator Soarcerer 'as Dave intended'.   In varying conditions these models were astonishingly capable, light and aerobatic, and did well in the pylon race round too.  Obviously over the next few weeks, Sheffield SSA members were busy building their own Soarcerers... all flew brilliantly well - this was long before the official 'aileron version' appeared.

Dave's finest hour !  (and to think it was designed as a single-channel glider...)  (I have a 24" half-scale one that IS single channel!)

Cheers

Phil

tiny_soarcerer.jpg

Edited by Phil Green
added pic
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, David perry 1 said:

Soarcerer by Dave Hughes.  A truly beautiful model with elegant simplicity and a joy to build and fly.  Ive made several over the years including one 120" version for a laugh

Learnt to fly on the Soarcerer. That and a Monterey when the conditions went calm.

Built an aileron wing for the Soarcerer and had hours of fun on Parlick.

55 Years ago, age 13, I remember long hot summers at Callow Bank flying the first-of-many Veron Impalas

with my Dads home-made copy of a Remcon 12 reeds set. 

Half a century on, one of my favourite pastimes is flying a Veron Impala, on Remcon 12 reeds, at Callow - for me

this combination is a real nostalgia trip.

I dont know if the Impala has 'soul' - it certainly has lengevity!

You can have a tremendous amount of fun with it, its so versatile - single channel

on the button, reeds, galloping ghost, pulse, slope, bungee, powerpod, aerotow, its done all that and more.

It was my first multi channel model, and to recreate that era with the very same model, same radio and the

same location is simply magical.    Presently I've three Impalas, all on reeds, all regularly flown.

The first pic is me as a kid attempting ailerons for the first time - they were totally ineffective!

At that point the Impala had four Duramites and an 8.4v DEAC, and weighed nearly 4lb !

Min in the middle I've not seen since the scooter days, and little Steve on the right later took up model flying!

So.

The Veron Impala.  A model that grows with you!   😀

phil_impala_reeds_ailerons_1968.jpg

tiny6_impala.jpg

impala_reeds_1024.jpg

impala640.jpg

Edited by Phil Green
  • Like 6

• 4 months later...
On 16/06/2023 at 18:18, David perry 1 said:

That’s great to read, picked up a beautifully built example today. 👍👍

IMG_5547.thumb.jpeg.a02ad3cd089b87d57e093d45942f3322.jpeg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bob Holroyd said:

Used to fly on Baildon Moor in 70ies and early 80ies before being seduced by  full size gliders.

Fond memories of Dave Hardaker's Kwicksilver (original spelling!) and Steve Mettam's little Slim Pig

Don't remember if it's the same guy who, back in the 70's, flew with us on Parlick. Very similar model but he had one with a sliding aileron servo linked mechanically to a standard elevator. So as the elevator went up the ailerons went down. (Flaperons) ??

I have my own version of Kwicksilver but no sliding servo.

Edited by John Wagg

I got one of the prototype Kwiksilver plans from Dave at Baildon prior to publication.  He told me a number of years ago it was someone at RCM&E who changed the name to Qu**** and never asked him when they published the plan. Great all round slope soarers and I personally preferred it to the popular Phase 6. Might just have to make another especially as I have a laser cut set of ribs for it. 

Edited by 2.4g Shaun
Typo

• 1 month later...

Saw this post and had to reply when i saw mention of the Slimpig, I have just finished rebuilding one.

back in the early 80's Stephen Metttam was a member of the club and so everyone flew Slimpigs, i was just learning to fly at the time so never had one, then i discovered girls and drink and stopped flying for 25 years. 

when i started flying again i flew F5J and bumped into Stephen again at wetlands, he had sold off the Slimpig designs and mold years ago but said he had the last one out of the mold in his garage, after much nagging over many months he sold it to me, seemed a shame to build this piece of history so it's sat on a shelf in the workshop ever since.

a couple of months ago i saw while trawling ebay a slimpig fuz in amongst a pile of glider bits on a listing, managed to get it for £6 and have rebuilt and restored it....

can't wait to get it out on the slope..........next project is bringing back my old Solent sailplanes Mini Racer!

• Like 1