Which flat field glider

Hi Guys,

It's time to build and fly a flat field glider.

Any ideas for a suitable model?  I can fly (15 years on IC) 
I must build it myself, preferrably with a wonderful built up wing. 
Also, exactly how do I get it up there, I don't fancy doing a Ben Johnson across a field, and I'd rather avoid the complexity of an electric winch.
How exactly does bungee work, what sort of flight times can I expect, say in still air?

ernie 

Ernie a bungee is elastic type rope knocked into the ground with a tent peg or similar, on the model end of the bungee you have some fishing line type stuff with a matal ring to attatch to the hook on your model (dont forget to attach a flag or phute down the line so you can find it). Attatch the model and get the tension the in line and release and watch the model fly with the power of the bungee till it gets past a point and then the ring will fall off the hook on the model and then fly away! You can make a bungee for a fiver as have a look around B&Q for some elastic cord! The length will depend on the model size but its cheap as chips per metre!!

In still air I cant emagine a glider flying for very long unless you could find some lift... I am not a model glider expert but the principles are the same as a full size one!

You can get a "DLG" that you throw from a wingtip but looks pretty hard work! Not sure there are any from a plan. Failing that Bungee is about your only option and it's all a bit tedious from the videos I've seen. If you get some good thermal you could stay up for ages, but otherwise, it'll be quite short flights for quite a lot of effort.

Have you considered an electric with a small motor just to get you up?

ernie-i tried the bungee way of getting a glider up last year-it's ok if your glider is lightly loaded-you'll enjoy the first couple of go's-after that the novelty will sharp wear off-try a built up job with a small motor in-even a scale(fournier) or similar.......unless your a glutton for punishment...sometime's it's a pain laying out the bungee at a club site as it get's in the way of other flyer's....the time with a heli incident was something else.................'s......

ken anderson.............

First off NEVER use a tent peg or similar on a bungee, you will be in the direct firing line of a ballistic missile when it pulls out of the ground. People have been killed doing this! Use a large corkscrew type dog stake.

The cotton covered bungee cord is ok for still air (not much use here then!) but the best for light to moderate winds is latex surgical tubing. Bungee tubing.

Rob

Unfortunately bungee is not that cheap an option, though it does work well IF YOU GET THE RIGHT BUNGEE!  The one Rob has linked to is the sort of thing that will launch 12' soarers easily.  I used one for years to get 120" gliders up.  Nowadays though, I'd opt for electric.  For the same cost as a bungee you can get a 2-300W motor, controller + 3s lipo if you shop around. 
As for a builders model, search for the Bird of Time, or look for the Flair Sunrise.  The Sunrise is really a calm weather model, with undecambered wing. 

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all that. It really is a great help.
So, one more plea for assistance...Can anyone suggest a KIT that I can mail order from the UK for a biggish (100") electric powered soarer. I'd like it to be capable of basic aeros, and a really good build. Also it must of course look abfab

ernie

Ernie

I think you are on a semi-nostalga path.

There are not that many good, glider kits these days, I guess even plans are thin on the ground. These are a list of those good machines i have seen recently

a) Bird of Time or BOT
b) Sagitta 900, Lee Renauld design.

plans

c) Mean Machine.

I would steer clear of the

d) Gentle Lady, Carl Goldberg, just a floater.

In this day and age none of them will compete with "mouldies", which outperform any of the models of yesteryear, both in speed range or robustness. In short they out thermal, the best from the 80s.

A slight hitch if converting one of these older machines to electric, is that the massive and strong spars are not required for the launch phase, hence they can be lighter, yet pretty strong. The performance penalty is small, but as they say, when lost, "I would not start from hear".

Erfolg

Hi Erfolg, 
It's not a semi nostalga path, its a full  blown  job.
I do see what you mean about modern Hi tech stuff.   But I do love building. For me, a  new building project  is as big a buzz as that elusive perfect flight, and when the wee boy on the flightline asks "hey mister did you build that" I can grow a few feet
Thanks again
ernie

I personaly would opt for the Sagitta, competed in the past in "World Championships", a fersome 2m model with airolons. It has a body reminiscent of some GF models.

Although the body is complex, being made with 1/8 ply sides, spruce longerons, with substantial 3/8 triangular section, it is very light and strong. That is because you remove a lot of the corners, the tail section is  near to a boom.

The wing is Eppler 205, so gas a very good speed range and it can out thermal most of "the best of the rest". Models such as the Gentle Lady, can not live withit in any circumstance.

It is excellent electifyed also.

Other than that the "Clean Machine" is great, as are many others from this era. I still fly my 3m Algebra electified, although that is all GF, foam and skinned wings.

Erfolg

• 13 years later...
On 06/06/2009 at 14:16, Erfolg said:
I personaly would opt for the Sagitta, competed in the past in "World Championships", a fersome 2m model with airolons. It has a body reminiscent of some GF models.

Although the body is complex, being made with 1/8 ply sides, spruce longerons, with substantial 3/8 triangular section, it is very light and strong. That is because you remove a lot of the corners, the tail section is  near to a boom.

The wing is Eppler 205, so gas a very good speed range and it can out thermal most of "the best of the rest". Models such as the Gentle Lady, can not live withit in any circumstance.

It is excellent electifyed also.

Other than that the "Clean Machine" is great, as are many others from this era. I still fly my 3m Algebra electified, although that is all GF, foam and skinned wings.

Erfolg

The Sagitta 900 was my third sailplane, after flying an Airtronics Olympic 650 and a Midway Models Gnome 2M during the rather long build of the Sagitta.

Beautiful sailplane, thermaled well, could come back home from a downwind run as well. 

You can get the short kits and plans for the 900/600 from various sources, and FG fuselages. There is a copy of the 900 by another company.

Altezza (carolinacustomkits.com)

Like many of the 900s, I lost mine after two seasosn due to the infamous pine block/carrier tube issue that holds the very short steel wing rod.

Wings folded on the winch, despite the Lee Renaud/Al Doig "fix" that was recommeded and done during my 900 build.

Modern kevlar thread and Carbon Fiber may offer a better "fix".

I could never throw my 900 in the trash after all that work,  so years later I restored it: Sagitta 900 - Return of the Living Dead - RC Groups

The details of the fix described at post #42

PA212695.JPG

Edited by AllThumbs
  • Like 1

Another option is the Aeronaut Triple with the RES or Thermic wings, lovely kit and you can build it either as a pure glider or electric. Both launch on the bungee very well.

Bungee launching is good fun and without the electric motor crutch you do have to look for the thermals, don't find a thermal and you'll be back on the ground in under two minutes, find a thermal or two and flight time will be when you need a coffee break.

We'd use our bungee more, but our field is restricted to certain wind directions and we don't use it if we have sheep in the field.

This site gives a good description of bungee launching. As for the stake to hold the bungee a corkscrew dog restraint is a good secure option.

1 hour ago, Outrunner said:

Why do folk's reply to a question asked 13 years ago?🤷‍♂️

Maybe to help people who want a good flat field glider today! These are not really my thing but there is a German company which sells kits which enthusiasts admire. Their F5J gliders are particularly well thought of. Good prices too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Trevor said:

That would be Hollein presumably?

Yes. I particularly like the "Introduction" myself and would choose one if I were ever to build a flat field glider. https://www.hoelleinshop.com/Planes-Helicopters-Quadcopters/Planes/Electric-gliders/Hoellein/INTRODUCTION-F5J-low-priced-starter-model-for-F5J-2860mm.htm?shop=hoellein_e&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=GRU2015&t=49301&c=12327&p=12327