Cyanoacrylate safety

John Cole

• 8 years later...

I realise this thread hasn't been used for some years but I've had a cyanoacrylate problem. Six days ago I was building a wing and used superglue to glue the ribs in. It caused me breathing problems which got worse over the weekend. Six days later and a lot of sleep lost I called at the doctor's (today) to ask for an appointment. Due to my obvious breathing problem they said if I had time to wait 45/60 minutes a doctor would see me. The doctor after examination put me on a nebuliser for a while which helped. She informed me that I've had a bad reaction to the fumes bringing on an asthma like attack and that my lungs are inflamed. Perhaps I shouldn't have waited six days before visiting the doctor but I thought it would pass. I was given advise from doctor, if I cough up any blood A&E immediately and don't use cyno again. Hopefully the drugs help. Has anyone else had a severe reaction to cyanoacrylate?

Sorry to hear of your problems Derek.

In short, yes. I started a thread some years ago after some months of various levels of 'flu like' symptoms such as chronic coughing, sneezing, tight chest etc etc. After process of elimination we realised it was due to the use of cyano. Basically I became sensitised to the stuff.

I try not to use it now but if I do, I wear a good quality mask and ensure there is good ventilation. Same goes for other glues and especially balsa dust.

A common technique to develope latent fingerprints is the use of superglue vapour, which sets on the fingerprint residue, making it come up white, and can then be photographed. It's done in a fume cupboard. Breathing vapour does the same in the nose, and deeper bits. Not surprising the body is not keen.

But as a wound dressing, superglue was first developed as a battlefield dressing by the USA, for the Vietnam Nam war.

Hi All

Years ago when aeromodellers discovered cyano glue it used to give off a steam vapour really noticeable reaction, now I only use Poundland superglue, maybe weaker reaction but does the job 😀

Same goes for the 5 minute epoxy from Poundland never use any other now.

Regards Ray

A couple of years ago I thought I was suffering from hay fever in the summer due to a sensitive runny nose, sneezing, it went on for weeks until I realised it was the glue. I now take it outside or stick tissue paper up my nose for just small glueing sessions.

yes for super phatic, very handy for ARTF's where they have not used much glue! A good going over in the hard to reach places (with the handy long applicator) as the capillary action works well.

PS have been using CA recently and am quite disappointed with the bond especially as its quite brittle....migt be okay for electric, but IC would shake it apart in no time!