Rather good chopper pilot

Tim Mackey

Posted by Eric Bray on 28/12/2009 15:48:25:
How DO you get a helithrasher to hover with the rotor knife-edge???
 The only way I can think of must be the gyro effect of the main rotor. Remember when we played with gyroscopes many years ago?

If you turn the sound up you can hear the main rotor blades protesting!

Edited By Doug Ireland on 28/12/2009 20:22:15

What an incredible demonstration of hand/eye co-ordination and mental agility!  I've seen some pretty astonishing heli-flying before but the level of precision close to the ground had to be seen to be believed.

If I'd been the cameraman I'd have wanted to be in a (thick) polycarbonate box that close to those rotor blades - one tiny error of judgement and all hell (in the form of carbon fibre shards or jagged lumps) would have broken loose!

What a shame it does nothing for me as an aeromodeller...but that takes nothing from the performance which was amazing.

Well, it took him 4 minutes 29 seconds,  but he got it back under control and landed it safely in the end...

Joking aside,  I've been flying helis for "only" the last 4 or so years - much less than fixed-wing - but I can't even begin to work out the control movements to fly most of that routine.  Great stuff - though I wouldn't want to spend all day watching it.  And I do wonder how many sets of rotor blades, tail booms and head parts that guy has consumed getting to that level of proficiency!

watching this takes me back to aprox 1991--i had been flying radio models for  2 years and we went to our first model show(elvington) outside of york......we arrived at about 11.30...and i watched a 'glen's model su 26' go from one end of the flightline to the other-doing perfect slow roll's as if on a wire..15ft off the ground......flown by paul heckle's...this made me/us feel like throwing away our transmitter's.....    ..

ken anderson......

good flyer . the maneouvre in knife edge is called the tic toc which uses a small amount of lift either side of the backwards/forwards/side/side movement. Thats easy enough to understand; what i don't get is chaos - its just mental and i can't even think how they control the model like they do.

i don't think 3D heli could ever be described as beautiful to watch, but it is incredibly skilful, watchable, absorbing and artistic. And all well within the laws of physics .

Now don't get me wrong here, cos' I have the greatest respect for anyone who has the skill to fly with such control, but as someone who does fly a heli myself, albeit prefering to fly in a scale like manner usually (which seems to match my skill level ), I really do wonder just what is the fascination for this kind of flying.

After watching the video through, sure, he's a very clever guy, but it does absolutely nothing for me .
Maybe it's just because I can't do it that it doesn't facinate me, but somehow I don't think so.

Steve