Windsock

JayCee

Advert

Cut a leg off your pyjamas (you won't notice 'cos you'll be asleep).Then make a circular reinforcing bit out of a coat hanger & fix it to the largest diameter end ,and hang it with a 3 ft length of string off a pole
PS I invented recycling years ago - In fact I think I'm the result of recycling myself sometimes .Either that or I have to believe in reincarnation . Hope this helps . By the way ,the pyjama leg should preferably be water proof . Lateral thinking makes me think of incontinants pants . Better stop now
Myron

JayCee - it may have been "before your time"  but at various times in the past some of our members have acquired broken/discarded/lost England car flags (the ones that seemed to end up in the gutter if the car exceeded 50mph!) and stuck those on top of our pegboard. 

Is what you're looking for like the one that Brian has?  I guess you've already asked him where he got his from,  also Mike Hall brings one along too - I guess you've probably also asked him where he got his?

Edited By John Privett on 08/08/2010 15:21:05

Edited By John Privett on 08/08/2010 15:22:08

Er, nothing desperate, Phil, but the first was the Super Grone l/e near the wing root which needed a foam graft into the wing; the second was the Beaver veering off on take-off and head-butting it - no damage (only to my  pride....); and the third was the wingtip of the Super Grone catching it and doing a bit of a pirouette.....................I've moved the darn thing out of the way now!

Pete

There is an alternative approach.

That is to feel the wind. By that, I mean use your senses. I have no problems, I can feel the direction, by the differential cooling from one side of my face to the other, this is often re-enforced by the difference in noise level, from one ear to another. There are a lot of tell tale clues, which tell you without doubt.

For light aircraft it is different, the slip stream from the aircraft drowning all external clues. A strong visual is necessary.

Our club received one (windsock) from the BMFA. As far as I am aware it has never been used. Why, all of our members seem to be sufficiently in tune with nature, to know where the wind is coming from.

Feel the force!  Off course it is easy as all our members are Jedi knights.

Erfolg

Another method, for those who have not yet mastered the art, is tie a short piece of woolen thread to the top of the aerial, when flying 35.

For those new to the hobby using 2.4, practice getting in-touch with the inner force. Try walking around the garden, concentrating on feeling the wind (you do know what I am talking about) With very little practice, you will fully know at all times both direction and strength.