I've done it ! I've done it !!

ericrw

At last I've done it.   I've got my "A".  It's been a long process no doubt due to my age 79+ especially as I had no prior experience of r/c, whether it be boats, cars or 'planes.   Length of time includes inclement weather and nonavailability of Instructors   My first 6 months training was with a Wot 4 with a Irvine 53 engine this combination proved to be quite an handful.   In fact after hanging it in a tree, like a Xmas decoration, I bought an "Arising Star" with a Irvine 46 engine.  That was in April this year.  From that time on progress was obvious.  I've put this thread in the "Beginners Section" to advise any newcomer to have a Trainer 'plane with a flat bottom wing as opposed to a semi-elliptical, such as the Wot 4.

Well done Eric, now the real learning begins.  Practice circuits and landings until you can do them blindfold, easy to fly about, but its putting the model where you want and the landings that count.  My biggest problem was landing short into a banking(Ouch).  I now set a target in front of me and practice, practice, practice.  Great satisfaction when you can land exactly on the button.

Thanks for all the congrats !      Yes Stephen, I was nervous and I experienced"dry mouth syndrome" as I did when I first started flying.  But a Werthers's Original from my friend soon took care of that feeling.   To all who are still striving for the "A", I wish you all the best and I can assure you that the thought of the test is more worrying than the actual test itself.    By the way as from now, I'm an electric flyer !!    Eric.

Posted by eric loakes on 02/10/2010 19:02:50:
  By the way as from now, I'm an electric flyer !!    Eric.

Perhaps when you get a bit older you'll get over it and do some proper modelling!

I always say that there's a place for electric motors in any model

....in the servos!

(say's me who's probably done 70% of my flying on EP models this year - but I'm an oily man at heart)