The January 2011 issue

David Ashby - Moderator

I've just spent some time chasing up subscriber copy dispatch with our distribution people. They've apparently been informed by Royal Mail that copies will be delivered approx 5 days later than normal owing to the weather. There are some huge differences according to region/locality which explains why some have already received their copy.

Copies sent to retailers aren't sent by post. 

Sorry for the ongoing probs folks, sit tight and the mag will arrive all being well.  

Hotspur - depends where you are.  My GC order took 6 days  Normally next day.
Robotbirds 4 days - again normally next day

I can confirm what david is saying as we are in the magazine business.  Our mags when we had the last lot of snow took 3 days just to get out of the printers as they were snowed in!  Never mind getting it to the Retailers!  Our subscription post took ages as the Royal mail were doing their thing.  Everybody works hard to meet their deadlines to get the mags out on time.  You then pay and rely on other people to do their bit - then it all goes to pot!

One thing that really annoyed me was that our postman arrived from the other direction one morning (roads clear for days).  I said it was strange we did not get post the day before. He said he was doing his round in reverse to deliver the previous days post to those who hadn't received it because the day before he had got half way - then turned around and went back to the depot because they weren't paying overtime!

As David says - sit tight - Im affraid  its in the lap of the gods,couriers and the Royal mail.
Its all very frustrating!

Edited By Alan B on 20/12/2010 17:10:03

Bit ironic, really.

Some folks who aren't in snow affected areas have not had their mag because its held up in other parts of the chain

I got mine but have been up to the wotsits in snow since Sat and - if telly is to be believed - we live in the coldest place in the southern half of these isles at -19c on Sun night

Upside is I have the mag. Downside is as we can't get out of the house I've already read it several times over. I normally like to make it last

I ordered some books from Amazon - part of Mrs BEB's Christmas present. I deliberately selected items marked as "In stock" so as not to create any unecessary delay. I selected the post that would "gaurentee" pre-Christmas delivery etc.

I get the email saying they have dispatched everything. Now they've just emailed me - they can't promise delivery in time because of the weather - do I want a refund!

Ah well looks like I'm off for a trip to the bookshop tomorrow.

BEB

Not had mine here in Donny, South ~Yorkshire.
Although my son got his birthday card this morning which was only 12 days late and the post mark was three days before his birthday.
Only ever missed one copy on subscription which mr Ashby put right ASAP back in October, Octobers issue that is which was due in September, confused.com
Just gotta sit tight give me something to do over christmas

Big D from Donny

Bought my copy, as always, from Tesco yesterday. A great read as usual, but one little niggle, I'm afraid.
   I've really been looking forward to Graham's build blog on the D.B. SE5, but found that, due to the layout, it reads rather like an instruction manual! Yes, the columns down either side of the spread give a "feel" for the background, but I'm afraid that, for me, the rest felt a bit  "Horizon Hobbies" ( I may be comparing it to an instruction manual, but at least it'sa GOOD instruction manual!).
Sorry if this seemsa bit petty (at least I have my mag!)
Eck

Note your comments Eck. With the build blog we didn't want it to look like a regular article (variation in design is important throughout the mag), nor do I wish to send anyone to sleep with reams about sticking A to B. Hopefully, the layout will also allow some flexibility as the build progresses, i.e. when we need some larger photos of the various assemblies. Eventually, when the model's finished, a regular flying report and photo walk-around will be on the cards and, of course, a video or two. That said, I'll admit we're testing the water and nothing is set in stone. Graham