The January 2011 issue

David Ashby - Moderator

Nope, still nuffin! Haven't had my BMFA news either, suspect the Crewe sorting office has chucked magazines aside until after the Christmas rush. Not very good, but what do you expect?  Oh well, perhaps Santa's taken on a contract with them, and it'll turn up in my stocking.

Thought for the day, courtesy of Bill Bryson.  Why is it that we talk of POST being delivered by the Royal MAIL, whilst Americans get their MAIL from the US POSTal Service?

Happy Christmas everyone. 

I have not bought the mag. I am not sure that it is on sale in Asda as yet. That is where I pick up my copy.

What did interest me though was Tim Hoopers comments on his wife's involvement and was it appropriate. In my opinion anything that moves any articles formulaic approach that is tediously applied of sticking "a" to "b" has to be applauded. All to often all that needs to be changed is the name of the model and supplier. Which is reminiscent of what was called "boiler plate" bid preparation, in the company I worked for. Where wholesale sections of any tender was assembled from pre-prepared paragraphs, where only names and minor details needed to be changed, with perhaps 5% bespoke content. In my opinion anything which brings some originality to any article is almost certainly for the good. Just go for Tim.

Erf,

Thanks for the comment!  I've often read reviews and articles that look as though they've been copied/pasted from a database of handy phrases various magazines, and sometimes it's hard to come up with something original given that there's only so many ways that you can actually compose an article, so it's nice to hear your views!

BTW - mag arrived yesterday, but haven't had time to read much yet.  Mind you, that Revolver looks to be a peach, doesn't it?

tim

I'm with Lindsay - another Wirralonian with no mag for Christmas

But I was smart in one respect - populated my Amazon wish list with loads of interesting aviation books and told the wider family where it was! Hopefully that will stop the tide of socks and hankies and give me something to read Christmas Day!

BEB

I have just had a birthday card postmarked 7 Dec. from Wigan. That works out at less than 2 miles per day.
& downhill to boot

Where does the RCME come from ? So I can work out when it too is likely to arrive, while applying the uphill factor.
Maybe I could stroll down there and collect it !

I bet it comes with the Feb issue.

Postie appeared for the first time in four days.  Sale leaflets, holiday brochures, even seed catalogues (Why? I don't do gardens), but NO MAG!

With nothing else to do except read the on-line version, I've been thinking.  How about an on-line only subscription rate?  For the publisher it would reduce production and distribution costs, and for us poor pensioners we'd get our magazine electronically on time and at a reduced rate. We'd have to buy copies of any 'free' plan that we were interested in, but we'd be doing our bit for the environment by not consuming paper and other resources we don't need.  How about it David, is it worth a separate thread to see how much interest there would be,and how much people would be prepared to pay for such a service?