Biggles' Mess

Advert

On the subject of manuals, I loved the one for the Hobby King FK10:

Installing the elevator:
1: Installation glass fiber tube (it's carbon fibre but that's another story)
2: Installation support bar (read bracing strut)
3: Fixed support bar
4: Daub bubble gum (honestly!!!!)
5: Install the elevator

It also advises you not to lick or eat it

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 28/04/2015 16:42:47

• 1 month later...

I suppose the café isn't the best place for a moan, but why is there no coverage of the IOM TT in the papers? I've been watching it on ITV4 but no mention at all on the main channels or in the papers. Ours has a sport supplement at the weekend covering footie, rugby, golf, horse racing you name it but absolutely nothing about the TT. It isn't exactly a minority sport judging by the crowds at the roadsides. Lap records have been broken with hard fought racing and a super win in the Senior by John McGuiness. Last year it got a mention on the BBC but only because of a crash on Bray Hill when some spectators were injured. I'm just glad we have ITV4.

I suppose the café isn't the best place for a moan, but why is there no coverage of the IOM TT in the papers? I've been watching it on ITV4 but no mention at all on the main channels or in the papers. Ours has a sport supplement at the weekend covering footie, rugby, golf, horse racing you name it but absolutely nothing about the TT. It isn't exactly a minority sport judging by the crowds at the roadsides. Lap records have been broken with hard fought racing and a super win in the Senior by John McGuiness. Last year it got a mention on the BBC but only because of a crash on Bray Hill when some spectators were injured. I'm just glad we have ITV4.

Posted by buster prop on 13/06/2015 13:41:54:

I suppose the café isn't the best place for a moan, but why is there no coverage of the IOM TT in the papers?

Similarly the RAC Rally - or the slimmed-down, lightweight version of what passes for the RAC Rally these days. (Is it the Tour of Cardiff or something now? Ah, apparently not, it's the "Wales Rally GB"

I am usually totally unaware of it taking place until I spot a couple of sentences tucked away in a dark corner of the papers after it's finished. Though I suppose in this case the event itself is a mere shadow of its former self...

Simples.

Not enough interest to encourage the newspapers to pay for a reporter to go and report.

Don't forget newspapers only report on items which will sell newspapers, Oh, and football.

By the way, it's a been a bit quiet in the café recently. Maybe the bad weather has been keeping people away. I'm given to understand that it may be under new management though. Apparently they have set on a new "Saturday girl". wink 2

and a pretty one too.

Edited By kevin b on 13/06/2015 14:18:52

The TT is bigger than ever if anything, you need to book accomodation two years in advance and the ferry crossing a year in advance to get there. It's got a lot to do with BBC prejudice and focus on Formula 1. The TT is very popular on the continent and gets more coverage than here. The Manx Festival Week incorporating the Manx GP end of August/early September is my preference though and my son and I will be there on the bikes, after doing the same thing in 2013. Although I booked up for that last November, the only accommodation I could find was in a house in Ramsey that offers it for the key weeks in the year. There wasn't a hotel or guest house room available anywhere on the island, all sold out.

Precisely, Colin. No shortage of interest, I think lack of coverage is because there are no big commercial sponsors. Padgett Honda aren't in the same money league as say, Adidas are they? Maybe if the media showed some racing there might be a following and sponsors would get involved. Anyway, I was supposed to be flying today at our club fly-in but wet dismal weather ended that idea. I may pop in next Saturday then...

The TT is really in the spirit of back of a van racing and even the bigger teams such as Tyco only have limited hospitality. No right minded journalist is going to risk being handed a chip butty as 'hospitality' or having to rough it in a homestay.

Interesting that Craig Doyle had to hot foot it from the ITV team covering the TT on Thursday to get to Barcelona for his role in BT's MotoGP team. ITV have an excellent team with Parish, Whittam, Plater and, for part of it, Doyle.

I'm looking forward to the Manx, we will be there for 9 days. I've ordered a new Honda VFR800X Crossrunner today, will be here end of July, nicely in time for the IoM! Decided to step down from my VFR1200, the second one I've had. As I get closer to 70 I've decided I don't need 1200cc any more, 800 is quite enough really. Funnily enough, I'd been riding for 35 years before I even sat on a Honda and since then I've had 5, never had a fault with any of them.

Posted by Bill_B on 21/06/2015 20:41:53:

... won the Austrian GP today in a German car. wink

...whose team are based near Silverstone.

And of course Mercedes Benz High Performance Engines Ltd started life as the British company Ilmor Engineering before Mercedes took them over and renamed them.