PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Thanks for the great welcome guys, was a pleasure to finally meet you lot and put a face to a name. Many thanks too to Tim for the 3 minute twiddle of my thumbs on his Vulcan (now another model in the 'muts build' library!).

Really enjoyed the company and thanks for the words of encouragement. And my good lady and daughter also enjoyed the weekend, so great result.

Cheers

Ade

A fun weekend, with lovely weather for an October day, but alas not much of the windy stuff.

Here's a tiny amount of pictures.

20161009_101544.jpg

Google stitched this 3-shot image together for me - the horizon isn't quite right, but it's close

20161009_102103-pano.jpg

20161009_102109.jpg

20161009_104318.jpg

20161009_104332.jpg

I know a few people talked about these at the weekend, so here are some plan links :

Skyray

Sunspot

Thanks to Paul for a twiddle on his Sunspot's sticks.

PSSA Minutemen : Keep an eye on the forum, and we'll try and get a date together over the next 4 weeks for an impromptu Orme meet. We're looking for 20mph+ SW's over a weekend yes

Nice to see some photos from our last planned event of 2016... shame the wind wasn't strong enough to get all the PSS stuff going - I would have loved to have seen the sky full of A-4s again especially with the sunlight on our backs flying from the Easterly slope - we would have got some great photos to end the season - on the Sunday in particular!!

Still, we got plenty of good flying in regardless - the lighter PSS stuff did get away at times, plus the ElectricPSS, sports glider, vintage glider, DLG and electric sports models kept us entertained throughout! I thought I'd show a few snaps here that highlighted some of the more unusual looking flying machines seen on the slope!

Harry's BV215

oct16 bv215 1.jpg

oct16 bv215 2.jpg

Andy's Henschel biplane

oct16 henschel 2.jpg

oct16 henschel 1.jpg

Bob's F-4D Skyray

oct16 skyray1.jpg

Neville's Horten

oct16 horton.jpg

...and kudos to Timbo for his flying skills in the Boddington's beer can challenge!! thumbs upsmile d

oct 16 beer 1.jpg

oct 16 beer 2.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 10/10/2016 23:32:35

Yeh, a great time had by all again me thinks, and great pictures in that initial batch Phil. Was annoyed that I couldnt attend the Sunday due to illness, but Saturday was memorable for several reasons.

That beer can fair flew off that rock when I finally nailed it eh Phil !

Sad but successful mission when I dropped dear old flying buddy Dave Sergant's ashes from my Kettle Vulcan out over the sea - Dave's now feeding the cod at the end of the pier. Thanks to all who helped make that finally happen.

Great company as ever, banter and michievousness of the highest order, and dont ask about transmitters or you'll get a law suit laugh

Heres to 2017 season

Oh and the PSSA roadshow got yet more exposure in the local press with hard copy in todays daily post, and yesterdays online version had video too.

Ill try and find the links and post in a mo...

Note to self - if arriving all the way from Macclesfield without transmitter, keep your gob shut because otherwise you will be photographed arriving at 3pm in the afternoon to a cheer, a round of applause, then your transmitter will be hidden under an anorak, then the following morning under your windscreen wiper a checklist saying "DON'T FORGET YOUR TRANSMITTER: TICK" will appear.

Just as well my shoulders are as broad as the Great Orme.

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Then to cap it all some hooligan shoots your Vulcan out of the air (the second time that has happened incidentally) without its nose. And that was the 2nd mid air the same hooligan had caused that day. They say "Revenge is a dish best served cold". Nemesis (look it up under Latin) was that the same hooligan got the runs the next day, and........I hasten to add not due to any white powder I added to the food.....

Nuff said....

Great weekend, can't wait to meet you all again next year.......

Great pics guys. Neat to see some Luft '46 models turning up. Love the B&V 215 - it would slope even better with a folding prop. Brilliant build on the Arado "triple nickle":

e-555.jpg

I expect there was not enough wind for it to fly. Anyone have some background and more pics of it? Landing with droop tips will be "interesting". I have a B&V 219 (actually a bashed up X-8 LOL) that is a lot of fun and makes a great sloper.

e-555a.jpg

e-555b.jpg

Andy,

It didn't get the heave-ho as the chicken was also holding the transmitter. The model has yet to test flown! We found out the following day that the small fans would not have been enough to get it back.

The Lipos were not up to the task of providing the 40A needed by the pair of fans. They only produced 50W total. A better battery, which could keep up, produced over 400W of initial power. It will fly soon.

Martin.

Edited By Martin Gay on 12/10/2016 11:46:37