Make your own servo extensions

Never had much success with the crimp pliers although I haven't managed to find rachet versions like Tim's. The two pairs I have seem to prefer crushing the wings instead of curling them over and I have usually had to resort to (miniature!) soldering to give me peace of mind. Now I buy 1 metre long extension leads - 12 for £8.99 here - which can be cut down to the size required with just 3 easy solder connections.

When I built the Fun Cub I didn't have any luck finding thin servo cable. I couldn't find anything narrower than 26AWG. I ended up buying ready made extensions, then cutting one end off and soldering directly into the servo.

By the way, for crimp tools and other wiring bits, these people are worth a look ..
Their MP71 is pretty good if you don't want to splash out on a ratchet job.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Tim

Thanks for the Bump Tim.  As you know I am very patient   hence, I placed an order just now form Vehicle Wiring Products. Which was recommended by Tony Smith. Many thanks   I hope its the right one, otherwise its going on ebay for half price 

It should be here Friday  

Thanks once again  

Edited By Zaidy on 23/03/2011 20:21:18

Edited By Zaidy on 23/03/2011 20:21:33

I have used VWP for both tools and crimps, and they are very hepful, if you have ordered the wrong thing give them a ring and they may do an exchange or refund for you.

VWP also do some bullet connectors, designed for cars, which are crimp and solder type, you can do either, or both. I do both and apparently the connectors can carry 33 A at 24V without problems....

Olly

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the additional links. My tool did arrive but unfortunatly the smallest crimp is way too big for the pin!
I am currently trying to source replacement crimp dies. failing that will exchange the tool or ask for a refund..

cheers

I wonder if many, like me have been put off making my own servo extensions due to the high cost (and/or difficulty sourcing) the crimping tool. On occasions that I've had to make my own I have either soldered in an extra length of wire (with a plug already on it from an old duff servo or ESC). Either that or I have crimped them manually using small pliers.

I've never found them easy to do, which makes Tim's tutorial valuable to anyone who wants to do this regularly and is prepared to fork out for a quality crimping tool.

Personally, I usually keep in a couple of extension wires of each of my most popular lengths anyway and add them to other orders to keep postage costs down. In my experience, by the time you've sourced the wire and plugs etc to "roll your own" there's not much saving in cost unless you buy in bulk and do loads of them. I know some shops charge "over the top" for extensions but others sell almost any length for between 75p and £2 and as it's rare (for me) to use more than a couple on a model it's just not worth the hassle. I also think the clips to hold extension plug/socket joints together are a stupid price and so always just wrap a small strip of cross-weave tape around the join.

I've been making my own extension leads for some time (Ashlok crimping tool) but recently ran out of Futaba type pins and sockets.
They seem to be as rare as hens teeth at the moment. I have a bulk order in with Ripmax at the moment (they do packs of 300 sockets and 100pins) but I don't know when that will arrive.
Anyone know of a bulk supplier in the UK who has them in stock?

Pete

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

David

You probably have worked it out by now that when making the female end (socket) you do need to be mindful which way round the wiring goes. This is mainly due the fact that the plugs are keyed, so they only fit one way into their socket and the sleeve that goes over the plug (to make it a female) also only fits in one direction.

Take a look at a manufactured piece as a guide to the wiring, look at your other successfully wired components in other models or in your box and check/test alignment (and then check it again for the second time!).

Making up the male side is easy to follow, however the female side can be trickey if you haven't properly checked which way round everything is going to clip together.

Seems like a lot of faff to me, I always just cut the servo wire and solder a length of servo wire for however long I want it.... simples

That way I know I havent got a plug that can work loose hidden somewhere in the airframe

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 29/03/2015 13:18:55

I recently bought a bunch of Futaba compatible servo extension leads in various lengths. Came to use the first one and, in proper pre-flight check mode gave it a little tug, and first one wire, then all three wires came away in turn. They hadn;t been crimped at all, just inserted into the sockets, loosely. I've put them aside to all be remade.