All our yesterdays - our old pics

Pete B

Lovely thread!  

I dont have any photos of the early days, I wish I did  - starting with a KK Phantom Mite, a FF Ladybird later fitted with an OS Pixie... my oldest flying photos are around 1968-70 ish. Shame!

To all those who've posted single-channel stories and pictures - dont you fancy doing it all again? laugh

Honestly, its great fun & very rewarding!

Edited By Phil Green on 14/01/2014 16:14:45

Advert

I can't find my photo at the moment, but at the 1978 Nats (my one and only Nats to my shame) at RAF Hullavington, I recall an all metal model of a Beagle Pup built by Sid Holloway I think. It was in an undecorated state. Does anyone know if it was meant to fly or static. If flyable did it actually fly?

John

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some of my old models.

uproar.jpg

This is a Chris Olsen Uproar powered by a Merco 61 with an Astro Hog 40 behind me. The Uproar won the British Aerobatic championship in 1958. I crashed the Uproar because I did not know how to programme a computer radio! I still have the model and will repair it one day. I sold the Astro Hog.

otri.jpg

This is the Otri. The wing was cut down from damaged Flair Piper Cub by a modeller called Tony Revell. I used another tail from a crashed Flair Cub and built up a fuselage to match. It flew well until I crashed it.

goldberg cub.jpg

Goldberg Piper Cub OS 48 Surpass up. Crashed it while attempting a cross-wind landing. Repaired it and sold it.

twin stars.jpg

Early grey Twinstar painted with white emulsion paint on the upper surfaces and light blue emulsion underneath. It was supposed to look like a Soviet WW2 aircraft in winter camouflage. The other one is supposed to look like its German equivalent. I could never get on with those early Twinstars and crashed two of them. I sold the wreckage to a clubmate who repainted it in German desert colours, fitted a tricycle undercarriage and a bomb dropping facility.

tele 66.jpg

Telemaster 66, Merco 35 up. Took my A Certificate on this model. Sold it to my cousin who has never used it.

cub + otri.jpg

Flair Piper Cub and Otri with some more Solartrim on it to aid orientation. This was my second Flair Piper Cub. I crashed both of them. In the case of this model because I was flying it in winds which were too strong for the model and my flying ability.

junior 60 2.jpg

Electric powered Junior 60, seven cell Nicad, brushed motor with gearbox. Sold it

• 3 months later...

this is one of the very few pictures I have, LMC Phantom with OPS60 f.i.r.e, tuned pipe inside fuselage and exit out of jet exhaust, radio JR Apex 8 computer, take off from dolly.

pic taken at Kemberton, Shifnal, Telford, (in my younger days) prob mid/late 80's

LMC Phantom, glass fus, foam wings,

colour scheme based loosely on the Playboy Phantom2011-10-10 10.43.22.jpg

• 3 months later...

I came across this slide from around 1977 last week while helping my mum clear out some old stuff. I believe the gentleman in the picture may be a fairly regular contributor to this forum.

untitled(6).jpg

It was taken at a traction engine rally where my then club was invited to display some flying - in those pre-BMFA, pre-punitive damages and pre-risk assessment/method statement days, display planning was something undertaken by the organisers and we ended up flying from a small area surrounded by a crowd of spectators. Only a few of them were actually hit!

Reason prevailed, and the second session was relocated to a slightly better area and no complaints were raised - imagine the reaction today!

The Halton Special at the back was mine - although I don't have the foggiest who the sandals on the wing belonged to - I've not worn sandals since I was at junior school!

I also owned the Hurricane which must have been there as a static display - it was an attempt to convert a Stan Yeo single channel plan to "full house proportional" but failed dismally due to being far too heavy and even with its fire breathing Enya 15, I never got it any further than a hand launch followed by multiple wing drops until it hit the ground.

• 1 month later...

Oh I like that thread - why didn't I see it before?

ok,here they come.

hist1.jpg

A simprop glider (diamant), maiden near Vienna

hist2.jpg

same model, with built up wings (home made) to catch those thermals... And VA a bit younger and smoking blush

hist3.jpg

And again, at my "house slope" in Klamm am Semmering (90km south of Vienna)

hist4.jpg

Again at the house slope, this young man is an insurance lawyer today - but he still has an electric glider somewhere in his house (my little brother)

hist6.jpg

now a colour picture of this flying wing - this time with self made polyester fuselage. (the built up one of the first version didn't last long). by the way this was a plan built model from the German FMT magazin if I am right.

hist5.jpg

same model after a rather risky inverted passage - ok, I didn't make it..... but it could be repaired.

hist7.jpg

Again my little brother, even a few years earlier. the model is a standard airfish (wing slightly modified)

hist8.jpg

As you can see the wind direction is good, but not strong enough. so I need the extra meters from the bungee.

hist9.jpg

My first electric plane, all styrofoam, 4 cells NiCd, brushed motor. As I didn't have a lot of money this is built from spare parts only. A Viennese model shop sold them for peanuts as they were slow stock movers. A lovely model to fly, and it flew 6 to 8 minutes. Small enough to go into the boot assembled.

hist10.jpg

And finally another airfish. This time the super version (FRP fuselage and aileron) during a holiday in Carinthia (Saualpe, 1500m above sea level)

Probably I find some more.

VA, nostalgic department.

photo from the 70's of my Envoy which has been resident somwhere in the New Forest for about 40 years. Flew away with a nice ED Bee up front. Free flight of course.

The other model is my Cessna Skylane from the Carl Goldberg kit. Nice free flight model but has been waiting patiently on the latest micro RC gear and brushless motor to take to the air again

envoy and cessna skylane

Circa 1969/70:

[img][/img]

Me with my "Tornado" - Bonner Digimite 8, Webra 61 (pre-Blackhead) power. The model was a locally produced variant of the Taurus.

(I *wish* there was a preview button here, as it always takes me about six goes to get pictures to embed properly! Grrr!)

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 18/11/2014 18:29:45

Edited By Peter Christy on 18/11/2014 18:30:58

Posted by Martin Harris on 01/10/2014 00:06:22:

I came across this slide from around 1977 last week while helping my mum clear out some old stuff. I believe the gentleman in the picture may be a fairly regular contributor to this forum.

untitled(6).jpg

It was taken at a traction engine rally where my then club was invited to display some flying

Martin - that looks very much like my old Saturn Skydancer, though I don't recognise myself (if it is me!) from that angle! Was this a Watford Wayfarers display? I do seem to remember us doing the odd traction engine show back in those days....

That also looks like my "Stringalong" biplane in the Richtofen colours behind me!

smiley

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 19/11/2014 12:27:22

Edited By Peter Christy on 19/11/2014 12:33:51

• 1 month later...
Posted by Peter Christy on 19/11/2014 12:24:18:

Martin - that looks very much like my old Saturn Skydancer, though I don't recognise myself (if it is me!) from that angle! Was this a Watford Wayfarers display? I do seem to remember us doing the odd traction engine show back in those days....

That also looks like my "Stringalong" biplane in the Richtofen colours behind me!

smiley

--

Pete

It was you that I was thinking of, Pete so I think it must have been!

The traction engine rally was at Gaddesden Row near Redbourn around 1977 and Watford Wayfarers was the club involved . Somewhat spookily, I was reminiscing about the events of that day with a certain Mr Cooper just last night - including him reminding me how a model flown by a well known supplier of engines bounced a wheel off the head of a rather disgruntled spectator!