Ebay sellers...

Looks as though it 's been in seawater .It plays havoc with the alloy model engines are made with.I saw one once that drifted ashore in the remains of the fuzz of crashed plane. The C/case had so many holes in it it looked like metal lace.I was told it had been in the water just 24 hrs,I believe it was an MDS . I don't know if that has any bearing on it at all.i.e the type of alloy or something used by the Russians. Anyone know anything like that.? I but l wonder if the buyer has ideas of cleaning it up. It could be done but lord knows what state the innards are in. Conrod etc .. In fact I wouldn't mind having a go just for interest sake,and to see just how bad it really was.

Some once asked me to fix a 3" reel to reel tape recorder. I know nothing about electronics but found that the tape had been turned over.

They were so impressed that some time later they asked if I could fix a portable radio that had been dropped in Brightlingsea harbour and left for a week!!!

When we took the back off there was not a trace of copper on the PCB. God knows what it had done to the components as well.

Posted by Percy Verance on 27/01/2018 09:38:04:

I've never bought anything off ebay, and looking at some of the ebay postings on this thread, I now know I made the right decision........ Some of it looks to be just complete junk.

eBay is fine, if you're sensible. In any case buying a model that needs collecting you don't pay until after you've seen what you're buying. The last model I bought was an unflown Dynam Hurricane foamie. The seller only lived about 5 miles away so I went and had a look at it before I even bid. He was really decent guy who'd decided, like a lot of us, he needed to thin out his fleet. I've never had a problem.

When you're buying hobby/sport items on eBay or elsewhere you're most likely dealing with a fellow enthusiast who's simply moving on. I once sold a BMW motor cycle fuel tank that came with an R69S I'd bought (it was a Hoske 8 gallon - far too big for me) and became friends with the buyer. I've found the same with bicycles and dinghies as well as model stuff.

eBay is great. I've sold a lot of my old motor cycle stuff (magnetos, instruction manuals etc) on eBay which I knew others would value but for which I had no further use because I could no longer ride. So it was means of avoiding waste and helping others as well as myself.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 27/01/2018 11:37:58:

I've never bought anything off ebay, and looking at some of the ebay postings on this thread, I now know I made the right decision........ Some of it looks to be just complete junk.

... buying a model that needs collecting you don't pay until after you've seen what you're buying.

Geoff

You do need to remember that you've made a legally binding contract to buy the item from the description and pictures and unless it's been misdescribed, you are on dodgy ground if you simply don't like what you see when you pick it up and refuse to pay.

Having said that, it's often claimed that Ebay appears to side with the buyer in disputes so you can be confident that if there's a good reason to reject the item you will be supported.

• 2 months later...

Your so very wrong on that comment. On here you nearly always hear about problems with EBay, you very rarely hear about the good transactions of which there must be millions. I have used it loads of times with great success and got some great bargains. Know your product, know it's new cost, read the discription, look hard at the pictures, ask guestions about the item from the seller if needed, check the sellers feedback, have a max price you would spend and go for it. Ebay does work very well on the side of the buyer and will step in and help if required. It has happened to me only once and ebay sorted it and I had a full refund. If you do have problems only talk to the seller through the ebay message system that way there is a paper trail of who said what which Ebay look at and use to resolve problems.

Edited By Keith Sharples on 30/03/2018 15:21:47

I've used ebay hundreds of times. in fact an essential part of my life, not just for aero-modeling things, but others. Bought speakers, amps, car stuff, a cooker, gas heater, etc.

My ebay rating is currently 1110, having bought and sold items. Ebay is part of the 21st century.

Same here =- there is junk but there are also bargains. You have to know what you're looking for and either assess it from the pictures or contact the vendor. I've bought new and used items including a new 40W CO2 laser cutter and a second hand Fermi fretsaw (for a bargain price). I've never had a problem and I know that if there's a hiccup I can rely on paypal/google to sort it out.

Moral is - if it looks like junk or overpriced, then it probably is

AT the moment, trying to get a replacement axle for one of my caravans, when it broke coming back from a show last year. Got another one, but apart from Ebay, where do you start? Still not found one yet, but hopefully maybe someone, somewhere might have one.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 30/03/2018 16:02:56