Ebay sellers...

That's what Ebay's good for now, forget modeling stuff, maybe a good hifi stuff comes up ever now and then, although most shops in the towns, such as sports shops, shoe shops have gone, replaced with barbers, vape shops and estate agents, so ebay is the only recourse, apart from Amazon, there is nothing left to go into town for...

Advert

Posted by Peter Miller on 09/12/2019 13:36:43:

You forgot Charity shops!!!

Charity shops are brilliant for modelling stuff, too ... sometimes. Last week I managed to source some ladies' soft thin leather gloves for £3 - the leather will be perfect for the cockpit edging on my Sopwith Pup. I think they're new unsold stock from somewhere. It's a shame to chop them up but I will. I also bought a slightly tatty copy of Alex Henshaw's 'Flight of the Mew Gull' (mainly about his record making flight from London to Cape Town) for a couyple of quid from a charity shop.

Geoff

Posted by John Lee on 09/12/2019 16:50:11:

The most unusual Super 60 I've ever seen. I'm not knocking the builder/seller in any way, looks a very nice job.

As you say definitely not a Super 60 but what is it? Excuse my ignorance but it looks like scale.

I never understand why sellers say so little about what they're selling on eBay. It's electric but no details of the motor, esc, battery size (probably 4S but could be more) or the retracts . AFAIK there's no limit on the number of words you use but an extra charge for more photos. Strange.

Geoff

I have a broken ASP 52, bent crank, nice motor, 5 litres through it in 2 months. Bloke on EBay, £15, delivered, sort me out. In practice, put my carb, and silencer on his engine. 5 minutes work.

I procastanated. Broken engine still sits under the bandsaw. Idiot.

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 09/12/2019 17:11:59:
Posted by John Lee on 09/12/2019 16:50:11:

The most unusual Super 60 I've ever seen. I'm not knocking the builder/seller in any way, looks a very nice job.

As you say definitely not a Super 60 but what is it? Excuse my ignorance but it looks like scale.

In the seller's other items voAAOSwga9d7N71">here he also has a Super 60 with flaps & ailerons, so he knows his stuff. I think it may well be just about the most modified Super 60 ever.

Some people seem over-anxious to run down ebay. Fair enough, a lot of idiots sell (and buy) over-priced pieces of junk, but it's not all about clapped-out engines, over-priced kits or dodgy airframes. I use it a lot because it's cheaper for some items that I need.

I gave up ciggies and vape instead. Ebay is cheapest for replacement heating elements. I've also purchased off-cuts of fibre glass PCBs at a very reasonable price (for control horns) and also fretsaw blades. It's also a good source for NiMH batteries (for the computer mouse, TV remote etc).

Sure, there IS a lot of junk available - just don't buy it but use it for stuff that you may need and is available at a reasonable price (including P&P)

I agree. I've bought some good stuff on eBay as well as selling things that I know have value for others but no longer do for me.

I've successfully sold a lot of my old motor cycle parts (magnetos etc), manuals (eg BSA Golden Flash full workshop manual) and clothing (I was amazed how much my pudding basin helmets fetched). I described a Barbour jacket I sold as so distressed it cried itself to sleep every night.

I've sold a bit of old Quad HiFi valve amplifiers andI really ought to get rid of the rest.

eBay's a great resource for recycling stuff rather than sending it to landfill.

However, as Peter says, this thread is often about the amazing and dubious rubbish people put on there and we have a laugh about it.

Geoff

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 09/12/2019 21:04:47:

I agree Peter - but some people have been posting to the effect that they'd never buy anything there (I ain't superstitious about where I obtain some items - seeing that visiting my closest model shop requires a trip across the water)

Well, if people never buy anything on Ebay, that is their loss. It is my go to place.

For example, one can buy self adhesive ink jet vinyl sheets. The simple answer to all thos little number stickers that we are going to have to put on out models. and yes, you can get it in clear so as to minimise ruining a fancy colours scheme.

I buy quite a bit on ebay. In fact a few weeks ago I picked up a high end ARTF built with hacker motor and ESC and Savox servos all round for £150. Its in very good condition and given that the kit alone currently retails for just under £260 in the UK, I was very happy. Yes you have to be careful, but there is clearly great value to be had.

Suppose i've bought some high value items in the past, biggest was the caravan I bought 2 years ago - that was £6500 and the V6 Vectra car, that was just under £2000. Another caravan before that £500, Modeling related items, the most was the OS 320 Pegasus, new for £600 delivered, which was a bargain, but as said, not bought any relate items for a long while.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 10/12/2019 18:09:05

I ordered a new (non modelling) item from an Ebay shop for someone's Christmas present in November. I got a message saying that it had been dispatched, but when it was a week overdue I flagged it up with Ebay. They said to give it another week then they would take action. 1 week later I got an email from Ebay asking if I had resolved the matter with the seller. Since I had not heard anything from the seller, I responded "No". Within 15 minutes Ebay sent me another email saying they had refunded me, and a simultaneous message from Paypal confirming this.

It's the first time I've not had an Ebay purchase arrive, and I was very impressed by their service. Apparently the seller had provided an invalid tracking number, obviously they were very dodgy. Can't honestly remember if I'd studied their feedback rating before buying, I normally do, and will make sure I always do so in future.