Protecting plans

While having a clear-out I found some old plans that I had built from. I had used the "rub them all over with a candle" method of making them non-stick.

I am now starting my Barnstormer Vintage build. I am wondering which method to use to protect the plans. I have tried using cling-film, and the clear film from the back of covering in recent builds. I was not too happy with these for various reasons.

On the plans only one wing is shown. To build the second wing I would either have to trace the plan onto transparent paper, build using measurement, get a reversed photocopy or turn the plans over. The paper is quite thick, and seeing through it is tricky.

My problem is that I am trying to behave myself.

The plans are copyright, and so I "should not" be able to have them photocopied.

I was wondering about "treating" the plans to make them more transparent. My immediate thoughts were that something like WD40, or the silicone oil plumbers use might be good. I plan to experiment.

However other ideas would be appreciated.

Plummet

Advert

Plummet,
If its for personnel use I see no reason why you couldn't get the wing plan copied, though if you take it down to Staples or some where like that they are well within their right to refuse.
I have used cooking oil on a wing plan to make it transparent, applied with a sponge. Worked well for me but binned the plan after it had been used.
I work in carpet manufacturing, to protect the carpet rolls they use a nice plastic sheet. Works well with PVA but sometimes super glue takes a liking to it.

Rich

Taping the plan to the inside of a window (during daylight, of course......) may make it translucent enough to trace through.

If the plan provider couldn't be bothered to offer both wings on the sheet, then I really don't see how he or anyone else could possibly object to you having it copied, unless, of course, you're going to ask for 500 prints.....

The problem with WD40 or cooking oil is they make the plan smelly.....

The wing bags that ARTF's come in make useful-shaped poly sheets for plan protection.

Pete

In the past I have had no qualms about photocopying plans FOR MY OWN USE, and I know that Staples have refused to do this for me in the past.

I bought the plans from DB Sport and Scale, and I deliberately bought two copies - one for building over, and one for reference. These plans have a large copyright notice banning copying etc. without their written permission, It is because DB S&S are such nice folks doing good stuff for us modelers that I am not wanting to copy them.

Having said that - I think I will experiment with the silicone oil. It is non-smelly and as far as I know, does not degrade. I will try it on a copy of something first, and report back.

Thanks to the folks recommending the plastic or baking sheet. Good for the future, but does not solve this one now.

I am NOT going to buy a new carpet every time I want to build a model from plans.

Plummet

Plummet,
Just PM and I can bang some in the post for you if you want to try it (not the carpet)
If you have 2 plans why not just cut the wing part of the plan and go get that copied, they should be no problems then?

Rich

As far as I know the copyright rules permit limited duplication "for personal use" so I don't see how Staples can really object to one copy of one part of a plan. I recently had this done at ProntaPrint. They did ask and I explained why it was needed and they could see the point and had absolutely no problem about it - in fact the guy was really interested in what I was doing!

If you want to make it transparent then parafin oil was the substance of choice - bit smelly though.

BEB

BEB,

I have tried to photocopy plans at a couple of branches of Staples in the past, and they looked carefully for the copyright notice before starting, and finding one, refused. I know of other companies who will copy them, but...

BEB & Gonzo...

Reporting back my experiments.

I have tried out a sheet of laser printed paper with the silicone lubricant. This I bought from Wickes years ago when I was re-building a shower-room. It is for lubricating 'push-fit' plastic drain pipe fittings. It has the consistency of cooking oil, is clear, and has no smell.

The results look quite satisfactory. Before the oil, I could not see through the paper. Now it is usable from both sides. I just spread some of the oil on both sides of the paper, then wrapped it in kitchen paper to remove the excess. It took a few minutes to soak through.

I think I will risk the plan. I will report further when I know if it survives wood glue - I usually avoid cyano.

Plummet

Plummet.

I think tracing (my preferred method) or getting them copied is the best route. Make a line of a known length on the original, so you know the copy is the same scale
I have used parrafin before, to make the plan less opaque, but as it evaporated so did the view of the wing on the other side of the plan! could have been disastrous if I had started building over it immediately.
I do think only printing one wing is very poor.....

Cheers
Danny

Greaseproof paper can be used as tracing paper.

For a wing plan all you need is the main lines of the ribs & spars so it only takes a few minutes to draw these and then place the tracing over a white paper background.

For ribs and other shaped parts photocoping by a normal A4 printer/copier/ scanner works well and if you can remove the 'lid' its easy to copy from the middle of a large plan without folding it up. ( some lids unclip even though they look fixed ) Just place the copier in the middle of a large table and support the outer parts of the plan with piles of books. Press the plan down over the copier with a thick book instead of the 'lid' You could do the wing plan in several A4 sheets by allowing a generous overlap and taping together after. Reversing a wing plan by copying through the back might work if the plan is thin and single sided.

The Balsa Cabin sell some special transparent plastic sheet stuff which prevent glue sticking to it when its covering plans. Never used it but they have sold it for years as an exclusive item.

I've tried a good few methods of protecting plans over the years but have settled on using the clear A4 plastic filing pockets for ring binders. Trim off the three sealed edges to give yourself 2 near A4 sized pieces of clear FLAT plastic. Then tile as many of these plastic sheets as required over the area of the plan that needs protecting.

There are three key advantages to using these:
1) They are FLAT, no creases to contend with.
2) They can be filed in a spare plastic pocket when not needed
3) If one gets damaged during the build you do not find yourself throwing away large sheets of plastic.

Happy building.

Ian

I've used the Balsa Cabin protective sheet for a number of years...it works very well and if you peel off any residual glue (any type) when you've finished it can be used again.

Andrew

Only done it the once, but I used the paraffin method on my Airsail Chipmunk as recommended by the instructions and covered the plan with clingfilm which seemed to prevent evaporation for as long as I needed. The plan (printed on a fairly heavy paper) returned to normal after a while once I'd finished with it.

For various reasons, I've used grease-proof paper to trace from plans on other builds where a full span version wasn't available but the paraffin method was easy and worked well.

As long as you've built the first wing from the front of the plan, once the basic framing is in place, there's not much you'll need from the reversed plan as you'll have the first wing to hand to refer to.

Edited By Martin Harris on 08/01/2012 21:43:15

I use the cheap 'fablon' or 'sticky back plastic' that I have loads of to protect plans, generallty on a photocopy.

If you are careful when sticking over the plan and clean your board first, you

a) don't need to pin the plan, (I always put the pins in just the wrong place ) and

b) canpeel the whole lot back off, fold the edges down, with careful corner cutting, and the plan is now fablonned - and will last years.

for seeing the opposite hand I normally get photocopies from my local staples - never had a problem...

Many Office supply companies have suitable copiers. I have two in my small town and one can even enlarge and reduce and scan to CD.

Copying for private use should not be a problem. The people who should watch out are all those selling current plans and part kits on Ebay.

It is useful to know that American plans from the 50s and 60s only had copyright lasting 25 years unless re-registered. I forget the actual cut off date but I think it was the early 70s. That can be checked easily enough.

Just as a matter of interest, as a member of the "Authors Licencing and Collecting Society" (ALCS) I get a nice little payment every year for non specified copies made world wide. If I was to list every article and plan etc I would probably get even more for specific copies.