How many foamies do you have?

Have one foamy for indoor - Piaget from Techone (EPP)- and the mini Multiplex Fox for outdoor (EPP). Actually there is also the indoor Extra from E-flite (Depron) - there is not much foam on that one...
Foamies can be a lot of fun - had the VA-model Shark biplane -800mm (EPP) - a great model which flew also in moderate wind - and the beautifully finished Sebart Challenger S Biplane (Depron). Especially the depron stuff is rather easily infected by hangar rush.
So in the end I should rather put 30% into the poll as the ratio of working models is 11 to 3...
Cheers VA

Advert

Well I put less than 10% which I guess is technically true. I have the remnants of a ST Corvalis in my fleet. It got me back into flying so I can't disparage foamies. It didn't wear too well tho'. Looking at the new stuff available, if I was a newbie I'd be sorely tempted!!

Andy

50/50

Foamie - Piper Super Cub from PArk Flite
"Woodie" - Ju 87 Stuka free flight.

Personally I like the ease of foamies - especially for unexperienced flyer them are best choice. But from other side - trads' have that magic to me and that is direction I want to follow...

Like many modellers I occasionally use foam to build awkward shapes into a scale model. Regarding the foam- RTF side of things I have always maintained that this is not aeromodelling, it's flying ready-made models. The last time I mentioned this in the forum the Wrath of the Gods fell onto my head, - I really can't think why, it's not meant as an insult!

When it came to vote I had to stop and think and was amazed to find I have 11 foam (EPS and Elapor/EPO) models (including 2 still boxed) out of a total about 20 models (all electric). (Plus another 2 foamies in the loft, decommisioned).

Like many, I started on electric foam models and would never have got started without them. Later on I acquired some built-up ARTFs (I don't scratch-build, never have, never will - just don't have the skills, time or patience) and enjoy both types. For me the hobby is about flying not building. Each to their own. Foamies enable me to take more models to the field as they are generally smaller, so I often take both.

I fly the foamies probably more than the built-up models simply because I choose the models to fly to suit the conditions, which this year have been very wet. Foam models are impervious to wet grass and puddles, and also cope better with landing "nose-overs" where the grass is too long but too wet to cut.

Having been strictly a free- flight guy for many years, you would think I'd consider foam a "no no". But, erm, No. I still make the odd indoor stick n tissue flyer, and am near to completing an R/C version of an old design from one of the Nexus Special Edition collection books, called Jinty, which is all-balsa. But, I am quite a slow builder, so when I finally delved into R/C a couple of years ago, quick and easy way was to go for ARTF foamies, and my currently 11 strong outdoor squadron stands at just over 50% foam. I guess my E-Flite Advance 25E is 50/50 in itself, with a foam core wing! I enjoy sticking wood together, but with my pilots hat on, I really don't mind what they are made of, as long as they fly, and are fun. I'm right with Romeo Whisky on this one, foamies are better when it's wet (which our flying field is for 50% of the year!)
One simple little foamie in the roster I fly over and over in all sorts of weather, wet or dry, calm or breezy, it sometimes crashes, it bounces, and lives to fly again. There's room for all sorts of materials I think, and lots of new stuff to try. I haven't regretted going all-electric for my RC exploits either, still considered beyond the pale by some diehards I believe!

Currently have no foamies. All mine are wood, either kit built (70%) or ARTFs (30%).

Until recently I had a few foamies and used to have 1 or 2 in the Hangar, Parkzone Wildcat, Airfield T-28 and a 64mm EDF Hawk. I do like the convience of being able to just leave it in the car and/or fly from the grass playing field behind the house without having to drive to the flying field and take all the flight box of stuff. I do plan to get some more later on, maybe a Jepe Fast Foam hawk like Timbo, since I have a Jepe 6S 90mm fan sat looking homeless at the minute.

My 'issue' with foam is that the control surfaces, both surface and horns are just not as rigid as balsa/ply. I know this doesn't make a difference on small stuff, but my OCD can't handle that!

That said, most of my fleet are 46-60 sized IC or 90+ size petrol.

I'm really suprised at some of the harsh replies.. !!

Firstly you can't compare them to a bigger IC model.. Not fair...
They are an alternative to traditional balsa modern Brushless n Lipo set-ups..

I appreciate some people think of foamies as just cheap RTF no-hopers, but that's simply not the case.. Cheap RTF no-hopers are CHEAP no-hopers.. Some planes made from foam are excellent..

I use Depron purely as a different building material.. I consider my planes to be Traditional builds as I build them off traditional plans (apart from one Profile 36" Edge)

They've all got CF re-enforcement cuz YES, depron isn't as rigid as balsa, BUT with CF it is.. More so, and STILL lighter.. !!!

If you use a traditional plan, but use Depron instead of / aswell as Balsa, then it's a proper model.... End-of...

I've never heard people slatting CF use in 'Traditional builds'... Why is that.. ??

Rant over..

Enjoy the revolution, its not a take-over for a traditional builder, its an addition..

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

I agree Chrisie - there are more than enough people "out here" ready to have a go at us - we don't need to fight amongst ourselves!

I have, and enjoy, a few foamies. A PZ Extra, a BritFlight H2O and now a PZ Spitfire - all great models. You can't beat them for leaving them rigged - sticking them in the boot of the car and getting a quick "blast" in on the way home from work - either in the Park for the Extra/Spitfire or on the beach for the H2O. Between March and Oct the existance of these models probably doubles my opportunities to fly.

So, they are great and long may they continue to be available. But,...they don't scratch all my itches - in particular my love of engines and building. So for that I have plenty of the more traditional stuff.

In my view the "wardrobe" of today's "British Gentleman Flier" in full time employment (therefore with limited time) has to include both elements for maximum pleasure and satisfaction!

BEB

I am very, very, surprised by the results of the poll so far. But maybe if the question were to include how many ARTF and Foam models the results would be more in line with the club I am a member off.

It could be that the club is different to many others in the types of models flown.

I guess the issue is also related to time, say the last say 5 years. Would this change the values?

Although I consider myself the exception in the club, in that I do build. I have two foam models, and two Depron (one a kit). Just finished a (very much) traditional kit, a Guillows Thunderbolt.

I once despised foam models, now I am penitent, realising there outstanding qualities.

Well the results so far are somewhat surprising to me. I wonder to what extent the fact that you can't upload pdf files to this forum affects those results. Don't get me wrong, I like this forum and apreciate the interaction, but if you like to build from foam there's another forum (so I'm told ) where there are lots of plans!

My current fleet of foamies is depleated but growing again....

What I love about Depron is how quickly you can build and experiment. Here's the latest addition to the Depron fleet....

It will be interesting to see if it flies, but the baby version will glide from one end of the sitting room to the other, so I hope so!

Also currently have in fleet.

A ST models fox which probably has more flying time on it than anything else in my fleet because on a nice day half hour flights are very possible.

A Wot 4 foam-e - probably expired after it proved impossible to remove the wing when the captive nut started spinning freely... which became an issue when one of the servos failed... so...

Mini f22 from Depron

IFO flat plate thing from Depron ( a bit boring if truth be told)

And the new one in the picture above.

Now I like scratch building the bigger stuff too but I have a sneaking supicion that on e a cost per fun basis the foamies win every time.

To me the question would have been better oput as 'Are you a modeller or a flyer?'

I've one foamie - a Parkzone Super Cub that I got when I returned to the hobby just to get my hand in.

Now as for my version of the question - to me the important thing is do you build your own (whether from scratch, plan or kit) or do you buy something that has everything installed and all you need do is assemble it? The materials you use for building aren't relevant - no doubt modellers from the early 1900s would have been aghast at pre-cut balsa and ply and solartex in place of bamboo, obeche and silk

Personally, I'm a modeller (and I've been trying to teach the grandkids how to build using an old Veron Nieuport plan - they're gobsmacked watching a sheet of 1/16" x 3" x36" turning into a 'plane )

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 22/01/2012 11:14:05

This has turned into a real discussion rather than a poll but , for what it's worth….
My first plane was built 30 years ago. A 'proper' balsa build with tissue and dope wings and ic power. It lasted approximately 2 minutes.
My salvation, and what has really brought me back into the hobby was a Mutiplex Easystar. It was forgiving, it took the inevitable knocks, it glued together quickly and gave me lots of stick time.
I can see the point of the poll as it does give some idea of where the hobby is going. For me it's just getting better and better with new materials, new technologies (2.4 Ghz, FPV, telemetry, GF, etc etc) and more people able to join in - even those with no building skill or inclination.
Oh, happy days!

The results are starting to indicate what I might have expected.

It seems that 25% of modellers have over 50% of their fleet as Foam models. I would guess that if ARTF models had been included at least 75% of the fleet would be the coverage.

I do think that age of the model is important. Within the club that I am a member, at least 80% of new models are either Foam or ARTF.

There are a number of very old models flown, which does indicate the durability of balsa/ply home made models. My own frequently flown Sagitta must be over 25 old, built at the time of the Lee Renaud publication.

I guess that not many ARTF's or foamies will last as long, or will they?

Just 2, but they are only parkzone mini suckhoi and mustang, and they are slung to the back of the attic, could not bear to spend a fiver on going to indoor events, just wasnt worth it, i look at some of the new offerings for outside models, from CML etc, and admire the detail in the airframes, they really are superb, for me, traditional is over played, not mentioning spruce, or bamboo, and talking just balsa, what if the material was reversed? what if molded foam was the material found years ago? would balsa be the new kid on the block? and would it be getting slagged by the traditional foam modellors for being not traditional build? foam is just another material for models, its yet another sign this hobby is growing up, giving flyers good models that turn heads at the field, just like built up ARTF models,

talking traditional, i went along to a club members house this week, to have a look at the collection he was selling on, all traditionally built, all absolute rubbish, not many have the skill to build like the Peter Millers of this world, for them, the advent of foam, and ARTF models are a godsend, more power to their elbows i say!!!

I haven't trawled through all of this this discussion, so please forgive me if this has been discussed already: I have a problem with the question posed in that the only alternative given to foam is balsa! I have one foamie only, but I have no balsa planes in my fleet of 14 planes ...

Edited By Chris van Schoor on 31/01/2012 13:59:16

Looking in my build area I have Eight traditional balsa build planes and Fourteen Foam planes.
Of the Eight traditional Balsa and Ply structures I have Two kits, one plan built, and five O/D scratch builds.
Of the Foam types I have:
Five ARTF type kits with pre formed EPP/ Elapor mouldings and parts that assemble in to the aircraft.
Nine Kits that are shaped and built from basic shaped pieces of XPS foam that are assembled from basic cut parts to assemblies that are shaped and formed in to the final structures that are then assembled in to the final model.
The foamies are far more crash worthy than the traditional builds. The moulded kits have little that can be easily done to them to customise the plane.
The XPS ones are literally built from the ground up so there is scope to tweak, modify, customise as wanted. Interestingly the scale ones end up a lot lighter than their traditional built counterparts.
Ady