How many foamies do you have?

Advert

Just my battered old Zagi in a fleet of 20+ models........ Had it for years and haven't the heart to bin it!

The rest are mostly trad wood (except for a couple of moulded hotliners - which feature foam-cored wings BTW).

The new MPX Dogfighter might just tempt me to go for another foamie though....

tim

Two of my 7 planes are trad wood.. The Tailwind, is a shelf queen as she needs re-balancing, and the Edge still needs fixing, so technically I am a 100% foamie flyer...

A 36" Edge profile
my own design 32" full-bodied Bipe
and my UMX Sbach...
The rest only come out if i've exhausted the lipo's on the above, and still have daylight..

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Having built many trad models over the the last 40 odd years in this glorious hobby, it's a refreshing change to have a completely different medium to work with. At the moment I'm trying many different foamies (Depron, EPP and the Elapor type), and the two trad kits in my attic will probably stay there for some time yet. Interestingly the Germans have a foamie only magazine, but at the moment I believe there are only 4 issues a year. I've no doubt that as time moves on and interest increases this will become a monthly.
I would like to bet that as the moulding techniques improve (along with the paints and surface finish), the majority of ARTF aeroplanes will be a foam of one type or another.

BTW David, any possibility of an annual "Foamie Special" mag?

Why does there have to be a separation between foam and balsa?

Model flying apartheid?

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 18/01/2012 15:01:16:
12 current flyable are all built traditionally, it is just 10 use foam sheet rather than balsa sheet for the vast majority of their construction.

So its either 0% or 83% depending on the definition of that horrible word "foamies".

I don't see an equivalent slang for wood construction.
"woodies" or even "balsies" Yuck!

Many balsa models have foam core wings, plastic props, plastic wheels etc.

Maybe we should all go back to tissue and dope and rubber power.

When I started flying in the 70s, I had a balsa trainer, I gave that away, still flying when I returned to the UK 10 years ago.
I destroyed one plane at that time, a Sea Fury, probably built from RCM&E in the late 70s early 80s.

When I started flying again here, I wanted to fly not spend my time fixing things. I bought the Mentor, which attracted the "normal" comments about foam planes at the club, soon though, they were saying that it could easily become "the" trainer, and people just viewed it as an good plane.

Many home built full size planes, and an increasing number of commercial planes are using alternative construction methods, and that is all it is, an alternative construction method.
I enjoy building as well, often or usually out of balsa, but I use whatever material is best suited in all ways (including price, durability, ease of use etc) to what I want to do.

Life in the UK is now so busy, so complicated, foam planes enable many to fly who would not have the time otherwise, and are probably largely responsible for the continuation of the hobby.

I have two foam moulded models and two depron models.

The majority of my models are now balsa types. I guess about 5 will never fly again, some have never flown, built as IC models. I have a number of glass fibre type models with glassed wings, I suspect that many of these will not fly again.

Yet what does interest me is the effect that foam type models have had on me as well seeing others ARTF models, and that is the extreme lack of weight. The foamies have built in strength, with low weight. Above all foam models fly very well. EPO models just seem to bounce on impact.

The other side is ARTF from ply and some traditional light weight stick and tissue models, they seem to disintegrate on any sought of arrival.

The much despised foam model, has revised my thoughts on model strength to weight aspects with respect to both construction and flight.

Wow. When I saw this I thought "yuk- foamies" then realised two of mine (Windrider Slipstream and Britflight Hustle) were both made from foam! So I'm at 50% (though it depends on how you define a foamy).

Do we define foamies as pre-moulded Parkzone type planes or planes predominantly made from foam / depron even if it's cut and Uhu-por'd foam sheet?

Myron, does this mean you wouldn't class something like the BUFF I'm building as proper aeromodelling then just because it has a foam core!
I can assure you that the work involved (especially if one cuts one's own foam cores first) is considerable, in fact possibly even more so than built up construction, particularly if it is then completely covered in glass /epoxy skinning before final covering.
Also, have you seen the terrific models that Dave Royds ( Foamy Dave ) produces from Depron etc?
Whilst Im wound up, take a look at some of the magnificent stuff done from foam on the PSSA site too!

It's this sort of ignorant prejudice that we should all be avoiding for the good of the hobby and its future is to be retained .

Hi all I am a traditional model builder, although I still fly (only in very good conditions) a 30 yr old Keil Kraft Ivory Gull that has foam cored wings.

The other eight are all trad, a couple being from the DB stable.
I know it's stupid but foamies just don't hack it for me, although I have seen a very nice P51 that rang a few bells !!

Cheers

Roger

Before I can say what percentage, where is the divide between foamies and trad build?

I have put some of my fleet in order of amount of foam as follows:-

Trad end
Full balsa / ply construction
Balsa / ply with Depron Ribs
Balsa / Ply with white foam wings covered in veneer or balsa
Balsa / Ply fuselage with blue foam wings covered in brown paper
Blue foam fuselage with balsa wings.
Blue foam Fuselage and wings covered in brown paper
EPO foam fuselage and wings
Depron foam fuselage and wings
Foamies end

Posted by Paul Adams on 18/01/2012 18:57:21:
Before I can say what percentage, where is the divide between foamies and trad build?

I have put some of my fleet in order of amount of foam as follows:-

Trad end
Full balsa / ply construction
Balsa / ply with Depron Ribs
Balsa / Ply with white foam wings covered in veneer or balsa
Balsa / Ply fuselage with blue foam wings covered in brown paper
Blue foam fuselage with balsa wings.
Blue foam Fuselage and wings covered in brown paper
EPO foam fuselage and wings
Depron foam fuselage and wings
Foamies end

Good point Paul, I was think of all-foam models really though, whether depron, EPO, EPP or EPS.

Timbo
Of course I don't categorise your beautiful Buff as being a Foamie.From what I've seen so far ,it's a combination of traditional skills amalgamated with newish technology .I associate "foamies "with out of the box ready made things .Maybe I have misunderstood the meaning of the term? I've never ever seen one by the way -only adverts ! I think your creation is something to be admired and as has been said ,probably a lot lighter & stronger than traditional construction .Look forward to seeing it finished .
Myron