Model Covering Bargain

Alex Gibbs

hello again oldies :P

not sure wether this should be in the ebay sellers section or here.

anyways, i was on ebays a while back and noticed a guy selling 46 rolls of covering, it was for auction but i had to have it :P so i messaged him and offered £110.

look what turned up this morning :P

bargain covering

its exactly 46 rolls, and ive priced them up and its worth over £240 :P

bargain of the year so far?

what bargains have you guys had in your lifetime of modelling? this should spark off some interesting bargains that you guys have had :D

gibbo

Advert

not bad bargains you guys have had :P

it most probably is wingman, but what do i know huh? im only a teen :P

yes David, this will keep me going for a long,long time i want to know something... what is the name of the fibrous covering, its inthe middle of the picture, dark blue,light blue and red, next to the flat covering. i think id like to buy some of that for a future cirrus moth build

thats true steve, well atleast i have a big choice, when thinking of a colour scheme, instead of going with the usual colours,i can look at this pile and use a colour i dont use much or a colour i havent used before :P

i could even sell a few colours, i know i have loads of red so that colour could be an option

Posted by Alex Gibbs on 27/02/2012 15:40:32:

its like a fibre material,not plastic, and the colour is very dull ,not shiny... they use it on vintage models, its solartex is it?

It could be Fibafilm - a lightweight covering that doesn't have any adhesive so you use Balsaloc or similar which saves carrying the weight of all the unused adhesive.

I suppose the best "bargain" was a mate who was retiring from IC and gave me 5 models complete with engines! Some needed a little TLC but all perfectly retreivable into full flying order with very little effort. And before ask - yes I did try very hard to press some "consideration" on him but he was adamant in his refusal - and almost offended that I should offer! He just wanted them to go to a "good home"! I was able to do him a few "good turns" in recompense eventually! But basically 5 nice models - and more importantly engines! - for nowt!

BEB

hello myron, my brother wrecked the os. i let hin use it in a blackhorse cub and the elevator let goangry

such is life. he got hold of another os70 and put it in his wot4, he landed a bit hard and the undercart let go, guess what the os was invertedcrying both rocer covers gone and the rocker arms damaged on the concrete runway. i used the repared new one in a arc jupiter and destroyed the plane in my first midair, then transplanted it to vmar pioneer. three times i have flown and three times i've torn out the firewall so plane and engine are now on the back or black list awaiting ressuection

My best bargain came to me a few years ago when one Sunday morning this nice old chap turned up at the field asking if anyone wanted to buy a model with an engine in.

Know one was interested as he wanted £80 for it and to be fair he hadn't a clue what it was as it was hung up in his Garage. The way he tried to explain it got me thinking it was a precedent Hi Boy with a 40 2 stroke up the front.

I followed him home to have a look, when I got there it was a Big part built Srorch with a kit box full of wood, in the box was a nearly new 150 Lazer Vee twin. It had to be the quickest retrun journey to the hole in the wall ever. Being the gent that I am I gave him his full asking price, he was happy and I kept a straight face until I was on my way home!

The model was sold on for £120 and I kept the Laser, still looking for a project for that motor. I'm a sucker for an engine.

Rich

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Last year I got the following,

Ripmax Trainer

Irvine 46

Full flight box, fuel, electric starter, tools power panel, 12v battery + charger. spare plug etc,

Futaba Skysport 6 35 mhz TX with full flight pack and NMH battery plus charger for....

All virtually brand new and not more than 2 or three flights

£70.00 I checked, charged and flew without spending a penny more.

Regards savedbytheground

But then, this year,I got myself this

Formula 3D 60" (Magic) complete with......

RCV 91CD (taken out and checked in a test bed and runs a dream)

Full JR servo set (6 in tota)

JR PCM 9 channel RX and good condition flight pack

Alloy spinner. prop, carbon undercarriage, tank etc

Model needed some minor tidying but now looks great

All on our favourite auction site for £60.00 including £1.00 for HFH which I give on every purchase..

I estimated a total retail valueof about £490.00

Regards

savedbytheground

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing as spectacular nor audacious as some people have geared but on Sat at Wings and Wheels I acquired 2 Number Galaxy Mystic Made up and flown Models -- both needing remedial

for £35 .

Bought with view of making into one good One but upon looking further can now make 2 !!!!!!

-

i found a fully intact and covered 2mtr wingspan glider wing FLOATER and damaged fuselage on a council pickup pile when walking home from school as a kid, that was my first rc plane after building a new fuse to match the original outline and structure of the mangled one, then using a two channel car rc system my step brother had neglected (he got all the good stuff) had many years fun with my dad with that plane now that was a good deal.

• 4 weeks later...