Explain your Username... ?!

Cyclicscooby

I was going to use Gloworm which i have used elsewhere because that was my old CB handle. This came from working in the Gas industry and Glow.-worm are a big boiler manufacturer. Then thought of Biscuits which the new office girl called me because of Tee and B........... Ended up plain old John Tee as I've been that for 63 years.

John

Advert

Hi David,

Don't think too many were made in to closed cockpit ones. I also had a screen for it so in the summer it became open cockpitsmiley

Think I've got a pic of it with lid off somewhere. Now I must get hold of a precedent kit or some laser cut parts and build a model of it.

Andy

Elsewhere Im "the beard" but thatsw been reduced to designer stubble recently to tidy oneself up a bit!!!,.I spent one evening on a CB and couldnt speak much because the handles were so funny I just kept laughing so this being the first forum I joined used my usual name just like what you did chriisie cyclops,and having impotred lots of scoobies from Japan in the passed was way ahead of you where the laitn was concerned.

Hi, fairly new to this forum stuff.

My nick name came from when I was in first year at secondary school (1957ish) we were learning Spanish (the second most spoken language in the world after English) and were re-christened by the teacher into our Spanish variants, the next lesson was art and we had to express an interest in an artist - the only one I could think of was Picasso, and so for ever after my nick name has been Pablo!

My handle when CB-ing, all those years ago, was 'Pleasure Machine' but that is a story for another forum I think.

Great thread though -makes interesting reading, well some of it anyway.

Well, I am who I am, and don't see any particular point in hiding behind a screen name. Not that I have any problem with anybody else who chooses to do that, and in other places I'm JohnP. But when I signed-up on here, using a "normal" name seemed to be the norm.

Edited By John Privett on 05/04/2012 22:21:52

Mine is because of a number of things. The main one is because I've been riding motorcycles for 26 years and it's a significant part of my life. Though I am not into choppers I am a fan of the late Indian Larry who built choppers in New York. Larry often referred to himself as a Lone Wolf. This was in part because of the distinctive style of bikes he built. Choppers that could go round corners and be ridden hard.

For me it's how I feel about my status as a motorcyclist. This is because I don't exactly fit in with the general biking brotherhood as I feel I'm outside of it. A Lone Wolf.

Well, seeing as others who use their real names have posted explanations, I suppose I'd better do so as well,

Erm...

Er...

Just too thick to think of anything clever I suppose!

Actually, when I first joined the forum I kept noticing that when I looked in my postings I often couldn't find posts I was sure I remembered making. It wasn't for several months that I realised that I'd registered several months apart under a nickname on my home browser and used my real name at work and had saved the login details on each browser. Once I twigged, I simply continued using the one I'd posted the most from.

BEB - like, I'm sure, many other forumites, for many years I was known by the nickname Biggles at work - coined very early on when I turned up on my motorbike wearing a flying jacket, boots and helmet. This was compounded by my model flying and later gliding activities. Using this name or my gliding nickname of Bomber (Harris) would have seemed rather corny. I've always felt your version to be a very cunning way to utilise the name of the greatest literary flying influence of my childhood!

Edited By Martin Harris on 05/04/2012 23:54:15

Lee,

That C150 was G-ATYN. Did most of my PPL training in that back in 1985. We also had C150's ending in LH (white/orangey brown colour) and AW (thing it was white/ light blue) and a C172 G-BCPK when I was working there around 1993ish for a couple of years. I also did lots of hours in the Auster's we used for pleasure flying. My Turbulent would have been in the hangar. Happy memories!

Andy

(sorry about the off topic bit)

My username came from a small Italian model shop - which has closed in the meantime. I was in their pilots list, as well as my son. The pilots list has been taken over by another shop (owners related) but has never been updated - so you can still find it on the net. Look at the last one in the list.

It said about my son Alex - Our youngest pilot - and as they didn't find anything about me they said "Il vecchio Austriaco" Which means the old Austrian. And since that time I stick to this nickname.

VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 06/04/2012 06:59:14

Hi Chrisie

Well, as you know i use my own name here but I do use another in other places.

Fetchermite.

Fetchermites used to be the small boys who haunted model flying fields and were used to retrieve models for ther older flyers. The name was dreamed up by humorous columnist Pylonius back in the 50s

I never was one but I use it at times as a apen name etc.

Turbycat

yep that would be my typing skills that are not greatblush. I was there for four weeks in 1990 on a RAF scholarship. Got picked up from the B&B every morning in the mini bus which was also used to bring people from Butlins from pleasure flights.

I spent my 18th birthday there, was no flying for me the morning afterface 21

Used to love watching the Auster banner towing and managed to get a flight in it as well.

Unfortunately while I was there one of the instructors was killed flying low level aeros over the field. Was a sobering thought seeing the wreckage when we went in the next morning.

Airfield has now gone of course and is a static caravan site, like you say, happy memories.

Lee

Apologies for completely off topic

When i joined the forum I was the regular mower at my club field. The job is now done by a younger/fitter member of the club (cheers Carl)

I once looked up our strip on Google Earth and there was one car parked and someone on a mower in the middle of the strip. Fame at last.

Yes for a time I actualy used the mower in the Picture untill we replaced our old ride-on.

Here's another question - Has anyone else spotted themselves on Google Earth?

Edited By Mowerman on 06/04/2012 10:02:13

Edited By Mowerman on 06/04/2012 10:04:46

Hi Chrissie,

Good idea for a thread, glad to say I had figured your name out, I'm intrigued by forum names, also other forms of personalisation like car regs .... I started a thread on that subject on aviation forum and it ... really took-off !!!

So back the question here ... well there are a number of folks here seem to have links with full size aviation so will already know what 'avtur' is ... so for others I'll explain it is the military designation for aviation turbine fuel, also known as aviation kerosene and jet fuel; also known by its NATO code F-34 or F-35. The civvy street name for it is JetA1 (my alter ego!).

Avtur has, and continues, to play a large part in my life .... tramping around with 45,000 litres sloshing around in a trailer behind me ....

Posted by Peter Miller on 06/04/2012 08:23:31:

Hi Chrisie

Well, as you know i use my own name here but I do use another in other places.

Fetchermite.

Fetchermites used to be the small boys who haunted model flying fields and were used to retrieve models for ther older flyers. The name was dreamed up by humorous columnist Pylonius back in the 50s

I never was one but I use it at times as a apen name etc.

Hiya Peter. As a BTW I was a 'fetchermite' when I was a kid, although I didn't know it until now. I used to live in High Wycombe and the local flying area was called The Rye. Of course it was free flight in those days and I got very adept at climbing trees. It was one of these flyers, Polly Dimock, who nurtured my early interest in the sport.

Thanks for the memory.

Geoff

Hiya Chrissie, Great thread girl. Well it's just plain old Geoff I'm afraid, although that was down to my sister. Story goes that when I was born in 1941 Dad was on war work and Mum had a bad time with me so it was down to my sister Joan to register me. Mum and Dad wanted me to be a Frank but sis had other ideas so Geoffrey it is.

Geoff