Pick a plane 2008!

I already made my suggestions but here's a comment:

Lots of people are asking for plans that are easily available for a few £, $ or €. Or even plans that have been published as RCME free plans within the last decade or so. 

It would be nice to see plans for something that is hard to get now.

Hi Guy's

With the rapid advancement of electric flight over the past couple of years, I think we should take advantage of this quiet, clean and reliable technology and come up with something really special this time around.

We always get the usual warbirds suggested, and to be honest, plans aplenty already exist for most of these. In fact over the years just about every warbird from WW1 & WW2 have probably been covered in in all scales to suit all engines.

So, what do I mean by "something different". Well, listed below are three models I'd personally like to see in planform with reliable electric power.

1. VC10 (EDF) Wingspan approx 60ins

2. English Electric Lightning F6 (EDF) Be proud of Britains greatest jet fighter!!

3. Glouster Javelin (EDF)

These are just 3 that spring to mind that I think would really suit electric power and would look really great seen flying around our fields.

Perttime wrote

> Lots of people are asking for plans that are easily available for a few £, $ or €.Or even plans that have been published as RCME free plans within the last decade or so.

Personally, I think it's OK to vote for models that already exist; if a model is popular, it'll probably have been "done" many times. And the perfect plan has yet to be drawn...

A. 

Guys,

Just to take a few models out of the equation, the Sunderland Flying boat plan should be available in a couple of month (pending some good flying weather), followed closely by a jet dog fight double, MiG-25 fox bat and the EE Lightning. Both are designed for pushers props but the size does suit the 68mm EDF and in-runner brushless

Finally for the Autum a 1/12th scale 104" HP Halifax design for 4x30 4-st or electric.......something i have wanted to do for a long time and pushed to the top of my to do list by a strong Canadian contingency......this should please Mathew from a earlier posting.

So if I'm not excluded from voting, here's my choice for the free plan

Hawker Hurricane (No 2 in the list of favs Last year!!!) 

Westland Whirlwind

Bristol Beaufighter

Would be nice to have some fun type designs. I remember many years ago you published a fun fly special, which had things like a Superman and a flying beer mat. Can't mention the name, but its probably the best flying beer mat in the world. (subtle eh?)

All the free plans you give are great by the way. Something for everyone.

Seems to be a heck of a lot of votes for the Hurri, the Westland Whirlwind & the Stuka but can I just add my vote for the Bucker Jungmeister...the one with the radial motor...I recall Gordon Whitehead produced a plan for Radio Modeller in the early 80's....I've always regretted not building it.

Or how about a classic Pylon racer like the Shoestring.......

Well as a big fan of the hurricane it has to be at the top. In response to others that have said we have done these to death, I disagree, as many don't capture the shape at all or are in odd scales. A 60 - 70" version would be nice, but please don't omit the rear fus stringers!

1.Hawker Hurricane Mk1 UPW

2.Hawker Hurricane Prototype K5083

3,Hawker Sea Fury

Reveiwing the requests, there appears to be large number who would like to see an electric mode (My self included). Yet an equal number or may be graeter, want an IC model.

As electric models do not require the beefy structure to cope with very large energy inputs in the form of vibration (from IC engine), The weights these days are roughly comparable between an IC engine and full fuel load and a Brushless motor and Lipo.

Is it possible to design a model for electric, showing additional re-enforcement (and motor mount) for an IC variant.

If the model is a twin, this would be really beneficial, as I believe that for the sake of safety it would be far better to be electric. The probability of a motor failure is far lower (in my opinion), and this appears to be the achillese heel of multi IC (assymetric power).

Regards

Erfolg

My three selections would be (excluding the HP Halifax which has been taken care of - thanks Tony ):

1. Avro Shackleton

When I lived in South Africa, I used to see these regularly either on patrol or at air shows. The sound is one you'll never forget. It would be interesting to see if Tony (or others) could come up with a way to simulate the contra-rotating prop by having the rearward ones "free wheeling" in the wash of the leading functional props. Electrics would be my choice and something in the 120" ws range (with detachable wings) would sure create a stir at the field!

2. Macchi MC202 Folgore

This fighter has to be right up there with the Spitfire for sheer beauty and graceful lines. The colour schemes are attractive as well. Electrics and about 60" ws.

3. Me110

Ugly but beautiful. Pretty straight forward construction. Lots of colourful schemes to choose from. Potential for customizing (can you think "aerials"?!). Electric and 80"ws please.

YYYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSS, I"LL go with Tony, the WESTLAND WHIRLWIND, I am lover of this "unsung hero"  Brilliant, Twin engined , fighter of ww2, only 112 were built, faster than a "spit" at the time, graceful lines and you don't see many "plans'  available, 3 that I know of, so, Tony, here's hopping( or hoping). Regards Barry   

Seems to be a lot of interest in twins now that "motors wot work off the 'lectric light" have eliminated the sphincter puckering tendencies of multi-engined models so how about....

1       Airspeed Oxford

2       De Havilland Dove

3       Miles Gemini

or for single engined....

1       Robin DR400/500

2       Siai Marchetti SF 260

3       Cessna 152

Bit of a trend there, I know, but we do have warbirds coming out of every orifice!!

David

May I suggest that the following might go a long way to satisfying the varied interests of the 'Build it yourself group' and at the same time provide experience both in the operation of twin motors (Electric) and flying off both land and water; further it would provide an interesting challenge to the designer, for not only has he to be a good flight engineer but also to have a thorough understanding of  planing on water. The Nomad would bring forth those abilities and demonstrate his depth of skill whilst filling a gap in the range of plans available for those aircraft:-

PBN Nomad

PBY5A Catalina

Canadair CL215

I know i've already voted and we have been asked not to vote more than once but I saw a Grumman Avenger fly over the other day on a delivery trip to the Gold Coast (in Oz) and thought that would be a very interesting model. I haven't seen any models of this plane as far as I can remember.

Maybe someone will consider it seeing I've already had my 2 cents worth.

Cheers