This quarter's BMFA news

Erfolg

Andy, you've thrown down a gauntlet.....I cannot refuse and accept your challenge.

St. Austell DMC have a club meeting and concours next week. A report will be winging its way to you.

( I am now taking bets it won't be in a publication - got to make room for the free flight boys wink 

Advert

Is it just my copies of BMFA news that fall apart the first time I open it .Every copy I have had just comes apart ,some better staples would be a good step forward ,it would be nice to read at least 1 copy without the middle pages coming apart !!!!!!

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 20/03/2015 22:42:58:
Ive never seen a copy where the staples arent right and I get to see stacks a d stacks of copies.

Neither had I until a couple of days ago!

It looks like it's more the paper than the staples that are the problem. Before I'd even reached the centre of the mag the two centre-most double pages became detached.

bmfanewscentrepages.jpg

Spooky - just looked at mine and the centre page has pulled through the bottom staple although the staple is intact. I've thumbed through the mag a couple of times since an initial read but I'd blame the paper rather than the staples unless I've overstressed it accidentally...

This was while checking my recollection of the discharge to 2.5 volts question a couple of pages back - what's written is generally accepted as being correct (although I still use a pack which a friend lodged in a tree for a couple of weeks and was completely discharged to 0 volts on all 3 cells) in that permanent damage occurs if a cell is discharged below 2.5 volts.

This is NOT a recommendation for a level to discharge to - or anywhere near!

Posted by john stones 1 on 19/03/2015 21:39:27:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 19/03/2015 17:59:12:

No worries John!

This may be of interest to some. **LINK**

On this link you can click on and leave a comment, should you wish to.

John

Interesting to see that so far with 61 views, only four members have bothered to place comments.

This thread has turned into a bit of a whingefest.

For my part:-

I support the BMFA and think that it is good to belong.

I get as much out as I put in. Over the years they have supported open events at my Club by sponsoring portable loos for example. Over time it added up to a tidy sum. They underwrote the costs of a licence at an MoD site where were able to get temp access for a short time. I went to the Heavy Lift competition as a spectator and got roped in to help. Done everything from flying the winning entries in both events to being sat out in the tarmac waving a flag. I go back every year The Nats are brilliant. I want to fly in a scale competition.

I want them to explore the possibilities of a National Centre.

I like the BMFA news, I read it - ALL and find it interesting. There are bits that aren't my bag but I doubt that I could walk past any model aeroplane flying without stopping to watch.

You can please all the people some of the time and some people all of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time. There are probably some people you can't please any of the time.

Shields up!

stu k

I think I mentioned it before, half of the mag has readable material as far as I am concerned, then pages of F1B or FsomethingC or CBBC's whatever, I have absolutely no idea what they are other than models, why is it taken for granted we all know all the classes. If I knew what they were I may actually read the article. And the BMFA seems convinced that the majority of us fly Free Flight, Vintage or Rubber, do we? I have a Free Flight and love the vintage stuff but there is a lot more out there. It needs a real shake in my opinion, for what ever it is worth.

Lets be realistic about what the BMFA News actually is... an internal newletter in an economical format

Its not a glossy £5 magazine and its not meant to be....

It has to cater for all interests associalted with the BMFA, of course there are bits in it that have no more than a passing interest to me, but others may well find the bits I read utterly uninteresting - but production costs inevitably mean that the number of pages has to be limited so it cant cover everything everytime

As has already been said, we get out of it what we put in, I'll bet there are some issues that the compilation staff are scratching round for stuff to include in it because WE dont give them the copy

As for improving it, perhaps a digitally supplied format via email could be introduced (and that would cut postage costs too) a zipped file wold be easy to create and distribute to members as an opt in facility

Competition results/reports - Doesnt personally have any interest for me, but if I were a competition flyer I would want to see the final results and a report of competions reported in print

Maybe there is a little too much bias towards free flight and vintage, but that could be that they stand out more if that holds no interest to you....

I would like too see

More reports from clubs - activities, membership, events etc etc

More reports from BMFA Regional Meetings, summary of minutes etc

From my perspective bring the news away from trying to compete with RCM&E and more into a community magazine

I'll get my coat now...

Posted by stu knowles on 21/03/2015 10:11:32:

This thread has turned into a bit of a whingefest.

stu k

Couldn't agree more, Stu. That's why I've read the comments but refrained from adding to them so far.

One thing I would like to see is a brief description (in brackets) as to exactly what Fxx is when it's mentioned. I don't really want to get out my handbook each time. eg F3a (international aerobatics) - I happen to know that because we have a few of them in our club, including a national champion ( who's actually Polish and designs and builds his own models)

Geoff

Agree with Dave Hopkin, RCME can do reviews etc. on models, building tips, carry on doing what it does. BMFA should be telling us about clubs, members, getting new and younger modellers interested and involved, changes to law, what we can and cannot do, that stuff, I'm sure you get my drift.

Posted by Steve T on 21/03/2015 14:50:55:

Agree with Dave Hopkin, RCME can do reviews etc. on models, building tips, carry on doing what it does. BMFA should be telling us about clubs, members, getting new and younger modellers interested and involved, changes to law, what we can and cannot do, that stuff, I'm sure you get my drift.

While I agree, but I dont see how you can expect the BMFA news to get new and younger modellers interesed, its an internal BMFA distribution so really only those interested enough to part with money to join the BMFA will ever see the thing as it stands now

If we want to engage with the younger generation (which we need to do) we need to cast our net into waters populated by the younger ones - facebook, twitter etc etc etc - catch their attention there and then build and foster thet interest - judging by my daughters social circle if it doesnt come via a mobile phone they aint going to see it!

Not necessarily true. I arrange for read copies of the BMFA magazine to be dropped of at two of our local ATC Squadrons ,from which we have had a small number of cadets coming up to our club to try out model flying -yes including free flight ie the Darts that were obtained from BMFA HQ . We now have three new members as a consequence of this. Another club member who is a Design and Technology teacher at a local school also makes a point of circulating the bi-monthly BMFA news to his pupils (I understand that they may be considering putting a team in for the BMFA challenge - so not all doom and gloom) .

As a magazine aimed at a minority hobby with all its diverse interests , I think it does a reasonable job. It is very reliant on contributions in the form of articles and reports from its own members.

Sorry Andy. My copy also had a staple malfunction!

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 20/03/2015 21:25:49:
Cymaz
What odds are you offering?
Include a bit of club history too.

First draft is already done, Andy. Photos will be taken next Friday at the concours. Then will be sent to you. I still don't reckon it will be published in its entirety wink

• 1 month later...
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 20/03/2015 22:41:40:
Photos by email or dropbox mailbigfile etc.
[email protected]

What i can do at some point is create a Club Profile submission guide. Containing a guide to the type of info etc.

Hello Andy

One of our longest term members has started putting something together, give us a clue on how many words long it should be please.

John