Peter Miller asks what next?

There is a 60 inch span Percival Provost plan from Radio Modeller Dec 68 RM 38 by Roy Yates if you want that size model. It is described as " beautifully accurate " in the Plans Handbook. Could be used as a basis for a simpler version.

Edited By kc on 09/08/2019 12:42:20

Hi Erie

Some time ago I did a Fokker DVIII for Traplet.

At the moment I have a Guillows De Havilland H4 which is slowly being built for radio and is driving me round the bend. My father was an observer on 18 Squadron.

Personally I hate struttery it is always a pain to desing and build.

My main areas of interest are homebuilts and racing and aerobatic aircraft and if I am not really interested it is no fun and that is what modelling is all about

Peter, how about one of these, introduced by Sir Derek Bailey to fly to Alderney, but replaced by the much loved Trislander with larger capacity?

Britten-Norman BN-2 Islander photo

Britten-Norman BN-2 Islander file photo (photo: Aviation Safety Network archives)

Dave Charles had a model of the Trislander hanging in the ceiling of the shop, built by his father, Mick Charles, which he eventually sold to a former Trislander pilot before the shop closed. The Aurigny G-Joey would make a great subject:

Sadly, the Trislanders have been replace by Dornier 228, a totally inappropriate choice with a limited flight envelope which is costing Aurigny a small fortune. Don't get me started about the cost of flying to Alderney.......

(Rant over!)

William

Hi Peter,

How about something with made from "alternative" materials?

One of the first planes I made was your Blue Movie 2 - remember that? Made of Correx - flew great and was virtually indestructible (very suitable for me at the time).

Perhaps correx, depron or some stuff you can get from B&Q cheaply? (I'm a big fan of your Flying on a Low Budget book)

Posted by Peter Miller on 10/08/2019 08:24:49:

So many aircraft...So little time!!

If you could see my list of aircraft that I would like to build but just do not have the energy or patience, For example, the Waco Taperwing has been on my list for about 45 years!!

Oh yes please!!7bae52a5-6ae2-48ca-8601-62cd681c0664.jpeg

but please make it for IC too , .46 four stroke maybe?

regards

Daniel

Ah Yes, My original BLue Movie is still in someone's cupboard and another is in a Canadian home. They just cannot be destroyed. Beats foamies and everything else for long life.

I have the 3 views of Bob Lyjak's Taperwing. As you say, it would have to be i.c. for a .52 FS but as I say, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak!!

Posted by Peter Miller on 10/08/2019 11:17:53:

Ah Yes, My original BLue Movie is still in someone's cupboard and another is in a Canadian home. They just cannot be destroyed. Beats foamies and everything else for long life.

I have the 3 views of Bob Lyjak's Taperwing. As you say, it would have to be i.c. for a .52 FS but as I say, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak!!

The force is strong with you peter😉😁!

A little story about Blue Movie.

Shortly after it was published by Traplet they had the auditors in.

The editor was summond to the auditors office where they demanded to know why he had authorised payment for a blue movie!!!!.

The editor tried to explain that it was the name of a model plan but the auditors refused to believe him until he took a copy of the magazine along.

• 2 months later...
Posted by Brian Stevenson 1 on 21/10/2019 10:19:57:
Posted by Peter Miller on 10/08/2019 08:24:49:

So many aircraft...So little time!!

If you could see my list of aircraft that I would like to build but just do not have the energy or patience, For example, the Waco Taperwing has been on my list for about 45 years!!

It's hard to think up new scale designs. I do most of my own and even then it takes ages to decide. And as for non-scale 'sports' models it's even harder. It must be even more difficult if you are doing it for a public audience.

Me? Recently a Juri Sirotkin 'Spacehound' 1963 World champion control line stunt model enlarged and modified (slightly longer tail moment) for RC. A very complicated model, which I made more complicated by making the exhaust and silencer totally internal. And I had to use old 'B Team Race' technigues to mount/cowl the inverted OS 91FS pumped so I could keep the fuselage characteristically narrow. Then I had to mould the distinctive 'backwards streamlined' canopy and find a dummy 'Russian Cosmonaut' to put inside. Was it worth it? No, in the air all black and white (the colours of the original) aerobatic models look the same.

Then a Mercury Aeronca Sedan for some light relief.

Now I'm thinking "Does the world really need another Howard Ike or another overweight 120mm EDF Super Sabre? (I've got all the works so only the airframe has to be built, and more important, paid for.)

• 3 months later...
Posted by Adrian Norris 1 on 26/01/2020 13:20:08:

A slightly scaled down Ballerina for electric.

Take the plan to a print shop and have it reduced.

Actually my Ballerina flies almost as well with electric power now it has been converted..

At the moment I feel the need for something a little different.

I am looking at the Lockspeiser LDA 01.

This will get them searching with Google!!!