Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Posted by cymaz on 17/03/2016 20:54:43:
Posted by Percy Verance on 17/03/2016 20:32:51:

I'm down in Cornwall for a week in August cymaz. I may try to put in an appearance.........

Without referring to a map, I'll be based near Helston. Roughly how far will I be from your club?

30miles from Helston to St Austell about 1hr drive......depending on the holiday traffichot

Spent a year working in St Ives 3 years ago. Holiday traffic! angry

Down in that area (St Ives/Hayle) there's also Cornwall & District MAC (I think that's what they're called). One of their flying sites is just East of Godrevy Point.

Maiden this afternoon of my DB 58" Tiger Moth bought as an airframe and restored over the last 6 months (between other projects)

Powered by an ASP .52 fs, covered with solartex and sprayed with Humbrol enamels.

20160320_162256.jpg

20160320_180607.jpg

20160320_180651.jpg

20160320_180719.jpg

First flight was very tail heavy resulting in an out field landing, minor undercarriage damage and a broken prop. 2nd flight much better but still needs more nose weight! CoG will eventually be about 30mm in front of the rear cabane struts. surprise

Edited By Chris Barlow on 20/03/2016 18:34:24

Posted by cymaz on 20/03/2016 19:22:06:

Chris, does this help?

Thanks cymaz. I was looking on the DB site a while ago and whilst there are some differences between that and my "old" tiggie it does look like the CoG is going to be closer to 100mm. Most of the information I found on the internet put it on the rear cabane where it meets the top wing (about 150mm)

I estimate the new CoG to be about 120mm from the LE/centre so might just go for 100mm anyway? I could make some of the ballast removable if it's too nose heavy.

Posted by Chris Barlow on 20/03/2016 20:26:20

I estimate the new CoG to be about 120mm from the LE/centre so might just go for 100mm anyway? I could make some of the ballast removable if it's too nose heavy.

My 58" DB Tiggie has the CoG set at 100mm and the maiden (late December) went well but needs quite a lot of ballast to get it so far forward. Mine's electric but is a conversion from a part completed model I was given so I wasn't easily able to get the battery as far forward as I'd have liked. It's also a pre CNC cut kit and several years old. I haven't flown it since but I'm kicking myself I didn't take it to the field yesterday because the weather was fantastic.

Tim Hooper has recently completed a Tiggie for his RCME column but one slightly smaller than the DB and his CoG is a lot further back and nearer to the position of the full size. It's a page or so back from here in the 'New Models' thread. I think your 120mm figure will probably be OK. I'm intending to remove ballast progressively to save a bit of weight. Mine's pretty heavy at just over 3kg - far heavier than than that quoted on the DB S&S web site.

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

imag0924.jpgimag0925.jpgHere's a few pictures of a project that I've been working on for a while now, also posted in the EDF section. It's a Canberra PR9 from the former Greenair Designs kit, now being produced by the designer, Jim Gordon.

1780mm span with an AUW of 3.8kg for a wing loading of around 16oz/sq ft

She's for 2 x 64~70mm EDF units - I've got EPF Mercury 64s in this one.
Waiting for the maiden.imag0923.jpg

101_0146.jpgSeagull Ultimate

Second flight today, OS 120Ax, this is the first model that i have ever experimented with Exponential, and i feel that this will present challenges for my usual non aided flying style. It is unerving when you move the sticks and nothing is happening. Other than that she loops and rolls very well and lands nicely.

101_0139.jpg