Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

img_20170701_155658.jpg

It's a SLEC/Apache Chipmunk, been building on and off for a couple of years. The kit is not very scale, more a Chipmunk looky-likey, but I decided to use it as a testbed to learn some of the scale techniques - glassing (with Poly-C), stitching and rib tapes, rivets, panels, lithoplate stuff, spraying and weathering. Mixed results, but I'm pretty pleased.

I followed along with the Chipmunk builds on here led by Danny and although it's a different model the various techniques he and the other builders demonstrated were really useful. The lights all work and they're pretty bright.

It's been sitting in the racks in the workshop untouched for a year or so while I was occupied with house renovations etc. Mad rush this week to finish it for club Scale Day tomorrow. Not had chance to fly it yet, so it will have its maiden in front of a crowd - no pressure then. Thought I'd take these pics today, just in case!

Roughly 1/5 scale, 81" span. SLEC say 13lbs, but this is almost 14 with all the extra stuff. Laser 150 up front.

img_20170701_155712.jpg

img_20170701_155836.jpg

img_20170701_155846.jpg

img_20170701_155922.jpg

img_20170701_155940.jpg

img_20170701_155949.jpg

img_20170701_160101.jpgimg_20170701_160117.jpg

img_20170701_160212.jpg

Hi All,

Just about finished my latest project, a Focke Wulf 200. The model is 72" wingspan and weighs 7lbs, powered by four brushless motors and a single 3s 6000 lipo. 6 functions with 4 individual flaps which took a little work to sort out but got there in the end.

dsc00142.jpg

dsc00136.jpg

dsc00143.jpg

dsc00144.jpg

dsc00146.jpg

dsc00148.jpg

I've chosen the aircraft that flew non stop from Berlin to New York in 1938.

kl 04-2013 fw 200 condor (01).jpg.6502778.jpg

It was tempting to build the military version but this is a little different for me.

Just need to make a new Lipo tray as the CoG was very different to where I had hoped.

Hope she flies as good as she looks.

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 02/07/2017 10:29:02

Update on the Chipmunk - it flew quite nicely, albeit with a fair amount of up trim, for about 4 or 5 minutes, then the engine stoppped. Didn't notice at first as I was still fiddling with trims, and someone was blatting a really noisy petrol engined 3D thing around in front of me. Anyway, it floated nicely back to the patch so no damage done. Don't yet know why it stopped (maybe overheated) but won the 'Best Homebuilt' at the club scale day. Chuffed.

Oh - and thanks for the kind comments chaps.

Edited By David P Williams on 02/07/2017 20:51:39

Perfect day yesterday. Test flew my new design, Little Miss Honky Tonk.

650 sq in, 59" span. SC 52FS. Does everything at a civilised pace. Consecutive square loops on half throttle. Suits me as no stress aerobatics. We old codgers can't cope with the really hairy beasts now.

She flies on the wing, not brute power

miss honky tonk.jpg

miss h.t. inverted.jpg

miss ht landing.jpg

On the first flight the engine died miles out from the field. Everyone was saying that we would be searching the bean field (Almost as bad as oil seed rape) but she just floated on and on and on and made it to the field.

Winner of best landing was one of the ones who landed out in the oilseed rape laugh.

I remember one Scale Day at the same club about three or four years ago where one entrant turned up with three different models and damaged all three of them in landing incidents. The piece de resistance was the third landing where he succeeded in landing on top of somebody else's model!

He's a much better pilot now, or so I believe.