Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Posted by Peter Miller on 05/11/2018 09:22:53:

I was given this Super Scorpion kit from a member's estate. I had had one many years ahgo and loved it.

I electrified this one and have fitted a Mobious Camera. Ficrst flight yesterday. Just Perfect, Even got pictures of another model in flight and a distant village. Got to convert them to jpgs

dscf4015.jpg

superscorpion.jpg

Superb job Dusty, and a fast build too...I'm impressed. Dad would have been too as it sat around quite long enough!

Almost ready to let loose, here's my Dynam Gloster Meteor F8 for 2 x 70mm fans.

It has to be said that the supplied power system and general quality are not the finest, but with 2 x12 blade FMS fans installed that I've had waiting for a suitable project for ages, a 6s setup using the existing 80A ESC's, twin elevator servos instead of a single one and an improved cockpit, things are looking up. The model is known to fly very well indeed with this setup, so I'm expecting great things!

Finished in 74 squadron colours to represent one that my late dad actually worked on in 1954/5 at Horsham St Faith, Norfolk. He always said that real fighters are grey and green with silver underneath, but I like all silver ones wink
​​​​​​​A spot of light weathering and she'll be off!

20181108_141148.jpg

20181108_141156.jpg

20181108_141209.jpg

Edited By pete taylor on 08/11/2018 14:55:46

Edited By pete taylor on 08/11/2018 14:56:12

Edited By pete taylor on 08/11/2018 14:56:52

----Foka 4----

Finally finished this and now waiting for a Maiden (and some more cockpit detail).

AUW 5.5kg which apparently is about right for a model this size. Its taken 18 months since I started with my digital crayons but it has been interspersed with other model making and maintenance activities.

paint7.jpg

paint8.jpg

paint9.jpg

That Orange Peel is actually residue from the masking film. Ir rubbed off but caused a panic at the time..

canopy8.jpg

and .. Ta Da

finished.jpg

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 08/11/2018 16:48:36

Posted by Peter Miller on 05/11/2018 13:31:08:

It is a lovely model. I fly it free flight and just interferre with it occasionallylaugh

The covering is red Solarfilm for the fuselage and orange HK covering on the wings and tail.

THis is my second. the first many years ago had a Webra 40 FS, the one with the belt drive to the camshaft.

This one has electric power.10 minutes flying just brings the 3S 2200 battery down to storage charge.

Looks absolutely fabulous - lovely colour combination too

Edited By Peter Miller on 05/11/2018 13:32:13

Posted by Peter Miller on 05/11/2018 13:31:08:

It is a lovely model. I fly it free flight and just interferre with it occasionallylaugh

The covering is red Solarfilm for the fuselage and orange HK covering on the wings and tail.

THis is my second. the first many years ago had a Webra 40 FS, the one with the belt drive to the camshaft.

This one has electric power.10 minutes flying just brings the 3S 2200 battery down to storage charge.

Looks absolutely fabulous - lovely colour combination too

Edited By Peter Miller on 05/11/2018 13:32:13

Posted by Martyn K on 09/11/2018 13:29:32:

As soon as I can find a willing victim to help and a fair wind and a start to steer her by.. :D

Sea Fever

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I am surprised that it is a first flight, in that it has been out of production for years.

Below is my own, still going strong, although I have had the cabane supports fail, which I have repaired, as bits were not to be found.

quarter.jpg

The repairs

wp_20161204_13_48_05_pro.jpg

My simple jig to maintain relationships

wp_20161203_22_43_56_pro.jpg

While on the PKZ Albatros, here is mine. Still flying after several years. In the markings of Jasta 30, 1917. Based on an illustration in a Windsock magazine.

Can't insert a picture.

Edited By kooka on 12/11/2018 20:46:43

Edited By kooka on 12/11/2018 20:48:47

Here's my latest. It's the second plane I built this week, so I'll have two to maiden at my next visit to the flying field on Friday. This one has a thrust of over 1kg and weighs only 400g, so it should go pretty well. Slight modifications to the original plan are added ailerons, increased size elevator and rudder, reduced dihedral and a pod underneath to protect the battery that's normally fitted externally. All it took was one £2 board of foam, a £3 motor, £4.50 receiver. £4 ESC, 4 x£4 9g servos, £10 300mAh 3S lipo and an evening's work. It has to be the cheapest plane I ever made at £40 all-up if you count the cost of the hot-melt glue that holds it together.

It's called the FT Flyer and, as you can see, it's based on the BMFA Dart that's used a lot in schools,

ft flyer.jpg

I like to try something different each year and have just completed a 'TWIGLET' E2K pylon racer which I test flew and raced last Sunday. Have to admit I wasn't very good but really enjoyed the day, faster than I thought as the models stock are pushing just over 100mph. Look forward to the next meeting at Buckminster next month, Great fun!

20181111_104436.jpg20181111_180242.jpg20181110_220518.jpg20181111_150141.jpg20181111_104445.jpg

Piers,

I have yet to put it on the meter, the rules are such that each model should not have any power or aerodynamic advantages so everyone is equal and its purely down to pilots skill and not how deep your pockets are.

There are several motor options (all are 14 pole), I went for the Overlander Thumper V3 3536/1500kv outrunner as it has a more solid prop mount. Only one type of prop can be used and this is the APC 8x8 IC version. My ESC is a YEP 60amp which has been flashed so that it is rev limited to 15,232 rpm (as per the rules), Lipo is a Turnigy Graphene 4S 1800mah.

Rich

Re the Parkzone Albatross,

I have gone through a small number of Lipos with it. I use 2200 rather than the recommended size, what ever that  is. What has caught me out once, is that I purchased a regular Lipo, only to find it would not go in, the internal moulding ( a plastic spar moulding) preventing the lipo from going in. I now carefully ensure that I buy a compact Lipo, paying particular attention to the thickness. The additional weight appears to be trivial to the flying characteristics.

I have also noted, particularly as a lipo reaches the end of its life, the model may intially fly quite happily, although it may have struggled a little in looping, 1/2 Cuban, it suddenly goes as near as dam it, dead stick. The problem with the Albatross is that putting the nose down results in it coming down, not having any gliding capability at all. So getting back to the field I have occasionally found tricky. I do however have a solution, I open my wallet and replace the Lipo..

It is a pity that E2K models are so fast. A bit slower, say circa 70-80 mph, I would not be surprised that a lot of clubs would be far more happy to run events, even if they were initially for the club. I do like the idea.

Edited By Erfolg on 13/11/2018 15:16:42