Bowman Spatman

On 19/02/2021 at 14:41, Rich Griff said:

Somewhere in the he loft I should have templates and probably a miniskyman plan.

Been up in the loft quite recently looking for other stuff, but will look again as I want to make an other miniskyman again, 049 Cox or maybe 06 enya.

An 09 will be too powerfully/fast, been there done that, 09 Cox TD vertical climb was only limited by fuel. When it find templates/plane will get back to this spatman thread.

Alan Gorham on p.3 of this thread mentioned that he too was looking to build a Mini Skyman if only he could get hold of a plan. So if your plan does turn up Rich I think there could be several requests for copies, including me! You could always email a pdf copy to Outerzone. I emailed Derek Scott of modelplans.co.uk for a copy but sadly his pdf copy has been lost from his hard drive (not backed up ?). 

Edited by Piers Bowlan

Advert

45 minutes ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Alan Gorham on p.3 of this thread mentioned that he too was looking to build a Mini Skyman if only he could get hold of a plan. So if your plan does turn up Rich I think there could be several requests for copies, including me! You could always email a pdf copy to Outerzone. I emailed Derek Scott of modelplans.co.uk for a copy but sadly his pdf copy has been lost from his hard drive (not backed up ?). 

Piers, I also email Derek yesterday same topic, same answer.?

• 1 month later...

I hope now your flying sites have reopened and the weather is good? you're all getting the opportunity to enjoy some flying again.

Reminder; I’m putting together an article about the Spatman within the context of our forum, plan sharing & the model building community for the RCM&E, I would very much like to include pictures of as many of the finished models as possible to illustrate it.  

If you would like to be involved & would like to see your Spatman in the Magazine, please message me from the forum & attach a copy of them there. The pictures will need to be a nice shot of the model, well focussed and at least 1MB in size to use in print. Please include a few details about yours model, like what make it unique, motor used, you name etc..

Enjoy the good weather, stay safe & don’t forget to take a camera! ??️

I'm chuffed to report that another renovated Spatman took to the air today, after a retirement of around 20 years or so - I'd nearly chucked it out and am so glad that I didn't.  Although I thought that I was prepared for the amazing manoeuvrability, it still took me by surprise.  Possibly a little tail heavy, as I'd swapped the original bunch of AA NiCD batteies for some AAA NiMh , and a blustery wind with turbulence from nearby trees didn't help - but after a short flight I got it down in one piece and will be looking forward to the next time out, having tweaked it a bit.

Roy, I will get a better photo to you asap,

cheers...

IMG_20210403_131321.jpg

• Like 4

Ah, yes, it was brilliant sunshine - but with a freezing cold and blustery wind.  Yes, we do have a few rocks around, but as the old saying goes, keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer - so we usually set up amongst the worse of them and get quite good at landing amongst them - short video shows the huge expanse of moorland that is 'our' patch...

Short flight of ancient single channel radio gear...

• 2 weeks later...

Some excellent flights today with my Spatman, despite the windy conditions. I installed a gyro to help with take offs (to prevent ground loops) but switched it off s soon as it was in the air. Loops, rolls (axial and barrel) were performed with ease and the OS15, once tuned, was a dream. I had my helmet cam switched on but when I got home I found that I hadn't got the SD card in the camera, so no vids - what a numpty! will take it out again next week and get some vids.

One problem I’ve come across is that it runs out of fuel with half a tank remaining! I’ve checked the plumbing of the SLEC tank and it’s OK. The tank sits as high as it can, restricted by the sloping ‘screen’, but the OS15 LA doesn’t seem to like it when the fuel level goes below the spray bar. Tank is pressurised from exhaust.

Any suggestions guys?

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

One problem I’ve come across is that it runs out of fuel with half a tank remaining! I’ve checked the plumbing of the SLEC tank and it’s OK. The tank sits as high as it can, restricted by the sloping ‘screen’, but the OS15 LA doesn’t seem to like it when the fuel level goes below the spray bar. Tank is pressurised from exhaust.

Any suggestions guys?

The feed pipe got a hole in it, inside the tank ?

8 hours ago, john stones 1 Moderator said:

Looking at the pictures, I'm going with the rear needle set up Ron, it's a sharp incline for it to suck up n feed. Why only when it's half  full, I've no idea.

Good point John, but as you say, why when the tank is half empty? But that’s a fixed position for the feed nipple on the rear needle so, unless all tanks were above the engine, wouldn’t all LA motors have this problem? As that rear needle mount is plastic I’m just wondering if there is a crack in it letting in air so there isn’t enough ‘suck’ so that when the engine isn’t being helped by the head of fuel in the tank (when the fuel level is above the spray bar) it just can’t get the fuel.

Very nice Roy. I took mine out again yesterday evening, nowhere near as windy as the previous day and glorious blue sky. Same problem though with running out of fuel when tank gets to half full, but something else that may point to the cause of the problem, when the engine starts to falter I throttle back and it picks up again, throttle up and fuel starvation. This only happens after 4 minutes of flying (half tank).

53 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Very nice Roy. I took mine out again yesterday evening, nowhere near as windy as the previous day and glorious blue sky. Same problem though with running out of fuel when tank gets to half full, but something else that may point to the cause of the problem, when the engine starts to falter I throttle back and it picks up again, throttle up and fuel starvation. This only happens after 4 minutes of flying (half tank).

Ron, is the tank 'soft mounted' on foam? Vibration can cause the fuel to 'foam' which usually gets worse when there's less in the tank.

I'm sure you've checked but it's just a thought.