What's the main radio brand you fly?

Advert

• 3 months later...

Errrr.................Since when did "Taranis" become a brand? (roll on the Horus.......................)

Currently.....................

Big models and most Helis - Futaba FASST 10CG (48 CAMPAC), 2x 6EX

Small models, slope and outdoor foamies - FRSky Taranis (most foamies being ex-35MHz)

Indoor models - Spektrum DX6i (2, one an X) and a DX7.

The Taranis has a FASST module so the lines are getting blurred!!!

Edited By Dave Bran on 19/08/2014 08:11:37

Started with Futaba Challenger, then Field Force 6 then changed to JR9XII because I liked the feel better than Futaba at the time and the synth tx module for 35mhx. I since added a Spektrum 2.4 module to it which allows me to fly both. 35 and 2.4. Its a fab radio and as long as modules keep being produced for it hope to continue to use it for many years to come. The idea of having to learn programming is nearly as bad as having to build models from scratch!

Started with a Futaba twin stick 2 channel set in 1978 (hence being a mode 1 flyer since then), Futaba 'Gold' set in 1982 then progressed to a FF7 in about 1992. On to a FF8 around 2002. Went over to Spektrum DX7 about four years ago.

Spektrum was quite reasonably priced, but do seem to be 'coming it a bit' with their RX prices recently.

Did try to convert my FF8 to 2.4 with a Futaba FrSky module but was unhappy with the FrSky's performance as in here..............**LINK**

Was told by FrSky tech support that my FF8 was not compatible Huh?????????

Am I the only reader to own a Fly Sky - FS -T6 6 Channel Dig 2.4g from China? Cost around £45 inc postage and Rx. Bought on ebay direct from a PRC Supplier.

It seems perfectly ok, apart from the instructions which leave masses of gaps.

I had a nightmare time unfathoming a way to fly a delta with elevons.

Now I'm trying to work out how to couple rudder with ailerons - just about to build Chris Foss' Phase Lift which will certainly need rudder to help it round the corners. I could, of course, leave the full span ailerons off altogether and fly rudder/elevator, but that would be cheating.

Anthony

It would seem I started before any of you with a single valve Rx (xfg1) and tx on the ground in a large box with a tank aerial and a rotary generator driven be a 6volt lead acid battery!

I have used mostly Futaba but tried Skyleader and Sprengbrook and have now delved into spectrum because the copy Rx,s are so cheap and reliable plus the tx is so much better balanced and has built in timers etc even on the dx6i.

Does anyone remember Galloping Ghost?

Galloping Ghost,

I remember seeing the great Pete Waters at his club with a Min-X galloping ghost set flying a Cassut type model of around 30" span. I think it was flying him and he was more than capable with most set ups. My friend 'tried' a fleet version later on just at the advent of proportional radio. It didn't last

In those far off days when I had the RCM&E set I owned one receiver and 3 servos. We would slope fly in the morning, home for dinner charge the batteries 'Deacs' swop out the gear and fly power in the afternoon. Three different servos ! repair for the rest of the week as most stuff was not too reliable or strong then.

Brian, my OS single channel Minitron was a single valve but that's where the similarity ends. I was mounted on bands in a Mercury Aeronca ? with a ridiculous number of batteries that lasted all of 10 minutes in the hot sun of Aden. I never got anywhere with it other than a chattering relay and the rare 'click cluck' of the escapement. I boxed it and sold it years later. now I have an Rx in every model and there are quite a few - where did they all come from. I have more models than shirts and I have a LOT of shirts.

Still have my Gold set and it still works perfectly well. It's actually the five channel version as I couldn't afford the seven channel set at the time.

When I bought it back in 1982, I inadvertently bought a mode 2 set in my excitement at getting a real radio for the first time. Being still pretty much a beginner, I thought the shop would simply exchange it for mode 1..........no chance, they flatly refused and I had to take it back to Ripmax at Enfield where the late Jon Wesley sorted things out for me.

My first set was a JR Max 5. Still have it, and although don't use 35mhz much today, still is in a trainer and reliable. This is far as "Vintage" goes for me, and probably the turning point of reliability/price/functions concerned.Slightly earlier, stuff was very expensive, or cheaper stuff was cheap and hardly fit for use. After 1988, radios started dropping in price and getting exponentally "better".

Still have my Gold set and it still works perfectly well. It's actually the five channel version as I couldn't afford the seven channel set at the time.

When I bought it back in 1982, I inadvertently bought a mode 2 set in my excitement at getting a real radio for the first time. Being still pretty much a beginner, I thought the shop would simply exchange it for mode 1..........no chance, they flatly refused and I had to take it back to Ripmax at Enfield where the late Jon Wesley sorted things out for me.

Yep, great customer service was alive and kicking (not) back in '82crying 2

Edited By Cuban8 on 20/08/2014 10:45:28

I have only been flying 11 years so I don't have the history some of you have.

Started on a 27 MHz RTF Aerobird. Went through a series of 27 MHz RTF radios as I bought RTFs. Still have some of them and they still work.

Purchased a used Hitec Prism 7X as my first computer radio for glider flying.

From that I went to a new Futaba 9CH. Then added a used 9CH as a back-up radio for contest flying.

Later replaced both with 9C Supers which is what I fly today.

Not looking for a new radio, but if I was I would probably look at the Futaba 14 SG or the Taranis.

My first RC setup was single channel - one pulse for L rudder, two for neutral, three for right. Can't remember the make, it was brick shaped and had a grey/blue metal case. Bought in 1953 from Arthur Mullard, Meeting House Lane, Brighton..

1st proportional set was Sprengbrook 27MHz bought from Harry Brooks, Portslade.

Moved up to Futaba, Switched to Multiplex - the much hated Cockpit MM. Still in use, but recently bought Fly Sky as 1st 2.4 gig set up.

Ant.