What's the main radio brand you fly?

I went for Spektrum, still have my old DX7 and a fairly new DX6i which is DSMX for the new receivers. I'll stay with Spektrum because it's been reliable, my DSM2 and DSMX receiver collection, and to fly my BNF models. For my level of models and flying Spektrum does what I need.

Futaba for me - going back to my M6 series on 27MHz in the 1970s, via Challenger, FF6, FF8, FF7 (all on 35MHz), then on to 2.4GHz with a FF7, though with a few FrSky FASST-compatible receivers.

It's probably time for a new tx soon, and I'm quite tempted by the Taranis... Otherwise maybe a 14SG - but at nearly 3 times the price! dont know

I was Futaba (35Mhz) to the core... Then I got a Dx6i, specifically for a UMX BNF...

Ive not grown to like the Dx6's.....Its cheap plastic, or the scroll wheel....

BUT... Its never glitched... Not ONCE...My 35Mhz setup was ever more glitchy, so i slowly moved over..

The FF7, a fantastic set, is gathering dust, and ive just ordered a Dx9....

Luv Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 15/04/2014 21:35:03

Posted by Bill_B on 15/04/2014 12:56:52:

There is only one Radio for serious glider pilots, Multiplex.

There WAS only one radio for serious glider pilots, then Mpx made a total mess of the Profi TX - very late, too expensive and barely any extra functionality over an Evo. Couple this with their silly RX prices and they are a dying breed; Jeti and FrSky seem to have sliced up most of their market share here in the UK. I still know a few people using 4000s and cockpits, but only one uses M-Link with the rest using FrSky modules or still on 35. I would have loved to stick with Mpx, but I am not sure they will be around making radio gear in the medium term so I've gone FrSky; instructions are rubbish (aren't they always), but OpenTX and the resilient RF link are both fabulous.

Edited By MattyB on 15/04/2014 21:47:52

Edited By MattyB on 15/04/2014 21:49:49

It's taken me ages to get the hang of programming my Mpx Cockpit SX - but definitely worth the effort. The Tx feels just right in the hand ( not something you can really claim about any other manufacturers' Tx ). Agreed - the cost of their Rx's is just too high, but not that far out of line when compared with Futaba, Graupner et al.

I'll stick with my Mpx Cockpit thanks. You never know, HK-Orange might even produce compatible Rx's, then there'll be no reason to even contemplate joining the Speckie brigade if I ever break my Cockpit Sx.

Like others i have a Spektrum DX6i (DSMX) for Parkzone BNF stuff ( MSRX, Inverza 280 and F4F Wildcat). For some reason (not bothered changing over) i also have my Raptor 30 on Speccy.

However, I many fly larger IC, petrol and electrics on Futaba (T8J); never had a problem. I was considereding a switch to just one system and getting a Spektrum DX9, but the cost of getting new RXs for all my Futaba planes put me off.

It would be most informative to be able to view the previous poll, so as to see the trend.

What is not apparent is the current position with respect to sales in the last 12 months or what ever other period that could be viewed as informative.

Although access to the previous poll would be nicesmiley

There is an indication that the immediate progress of Frsky, with just one model, is putting them on par with both Hitec and JR.

Looking at some sales such as Graupner, Jeti and you wonder if world wide sales replicate the apparent UK market, if they have a future as manufacturers and if it is worthwhile for any UK retailer in selling them.

I started with Futaba (FF 6) and was very happy until I started a project that needed more than 6 channels. Naturally, I went for the FF9 but shock horror, 2 weeks later the 2.4 GHz storm was launched. After waiting and waiting and waiting for the Futaba 2.4 module, I gave up and went for the JR (Spectrum) DSM9 combo. I really loved the much easier programming on the JR compared with the FF9. The JR Rx was bullet proof but sadly the Spectrum 6 Ch and 5 Ch Rxs proved to have problems and cost me 2 aircraft, one being an expensive aerobatic aircraft. After that I stuck to JR Rxs until I decided to make the break and get the JR XG11. Now, the provision of a free 8 Ch Rx together with the 11 Ch Rx you get as standard was a bonus. Since then, I've sold my FF9 and Futaba Rxs, decided to keep the JR DSX9 Tx and Rx and am considering selling the Spectrum Rxs that I've bought. I've still got 2 mid size scale aircraft that are fitted with Spectrum Rxs so I'm considering my position there.

The XG11 seems to tick all my boxes. So far, very reliable and very quick to connect unlike the 3.5 secs it takes the DSX9 using the Spectrum protocol to connect. A true frequency hopper, and a host of facilities that are darned useful such as Model Match and the ability to set a warning tone at any point on the throttle stick. Since I mostly fly electric F3A aircraft, having an audible prompt when I've reached my level flight power setting is such a boon. Having a pre-=set 4 aileron wing function was wonderful when setting up my biplane with four ailerons - all it needed was to select the 4 aileron wing and it was done!

As far as I'm concerned, JR is the way to go - powerful but easy to use. One downside - it isn't the cheapest out there!

Posted by Erfolg on 16/04/2014 22:18:50:

Looking at some sales such as Graupner, Jeti and you wonder if world wide sales replicate the apparent UK market, if they have a future as manufacturers and if it is worthwhile for any UK retailer in selling them.

Graupner have just been relaunched in the UK after being bought out of administration last year by SJ and have a new UK distributor, so like Hitec (Aurora 9) there market share may be on the up. Multiplex similarly are just introducing (at last) the Profi series and apparently have an upgraded Royal Pro series out later this year, so we will see.

Jeti like Weatronic are a niche high end player, sort of like saying Ferrari don't sell as many cars as BMW, both Jeti and Multiplex offer a pretty comprehensive range of add on's to their systems e.g. neck straps, trays, alternative switches etc so although their market share isn't big their users are likely to spend additional money with them.