What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

The MI5 Britten-Norman Islander flying out of Northolt flew over us today, its a common enough sight in skies around our way, but never normally this low. I happened to have my camera to hand so managed to get a shot.

20150708-004.jpg

And last night I caught this (unknown aircraft), my son was amused by the G-UMMI registration smiley

20150710-001.jpg

Handy aircraft source i found ... here is the gummi:

http://www.airframes.org/reg/gummi

I get Hercules and Chinook at about 50ft with Tornado, Hawk and Tucano about the same. .. never fast enough with the camera though!!

We are at about 800ft above sea level so often looking down on them - wonderful sight. ..will try and be quicker with the camera

On Saturday I saw what looked very much like a Mustang but certainly didn't sound like one. It was flying over my house going into Staverton. Turns out that it was Titan T-51D Mustang replica. I think it;'s about 66% size, and despite the unexpected sound, looks good.

Staverton certainly seems to be getting some interesting aircraft this year.

The former WW2 airfiled where we fly is about 300' above the town of Ashbourne. Last Thursday someone drew attention to the fin of a Hercules which was all we could see as it flew up the valley over the town. In fact we didn't identify for sure until it climbed high enough for us to see the whole. It was certainly lower than us and very low over the town. I thought there was a limit to the height an aircraft over an urban conurbation and it is more than a few hundred feet..

Geoff

I live on a hill in south east wales where Buzzards are a common sight. I watched in admiration as one flew over our back garden very slowly at the weekend. At one point it just stopped, almost motionless for around a minute, just balancing itself on the up draught, before moving on to the annoyance of some Sea Gulls who took objection to it's presence. Fantastic sight.

Last week we had a buzzard fly at low level over our house in Sanderstead in South Croydon, it was immediately spotted by about three crows that mobbed it until it flew away. We have lived here for 28 years and never had a visit from a Herring Gull but one also visited last week and took some waste food from the badger / fox bowl. My son said the bird was missing one foot. Not a good picture but again I was not quick enough with the camera.

001.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 21/07/2015 14:53:38

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 25/07/2015 16:17:05:

Your right Andrew, and it's not a noise you can appreciate unlike the Spitfire that flew over just a few moments ago in the direction of Kenley, presumably from Biggin Hill?.

Almost certainly the same aircraft I've come on here to report, Mike! In fact as soon as I saw that your's was the latest post on the thread I immediately wondered if you had seen it too.

Too high to identify any more precisely than "a Spitfire", it flew over Epsom Downs heading westerly(ish) at 15:59 this afternoon.

John,

Yes it must have been the same Spitfire. If I had known you guys were on the Downs I might have come over as my whole family have been missing all day. I have been testing my Easy Rider which I may fly under Roger's direction on Wednesday if the weather is OK?---I thought it was too windy today for flying!