What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

On Friday afternoon I was lying on my bed and a jet went over very low. I lept off the bed as it vanished but I could hear it going up in a huge loop. Then it cam past again but I didn't see it but could still hear it. Then I heard it coming back low and going like stink.

THis time I did see it coming head on, low and fast. I I estimate 600 mph. In the brief couple of sesconds I could see it had swept wings, could have been a Hunter or possibly an Hawk but I think the Hawk looks fatter.

I did notice a blonde lady walking past (Ilive in the village walk).

THis morning sometime after 11 am it came back in one really fast pass. I didn't see it but dashed out and by coincidence the same lady was walking past. She hadn't a clue what it was but did say it was the same shape.

This was on the Suffolk Essex border between Sudbury and Clare.

Is there another Hawker Hunter in operaton in the area, North Weald or Duxford.

Advert

John,

there are Hunters still flying Hawker Hunter Aviation at Scampton are still flying

"The HHA fleet of aircraft, which is used for various Aerial Support activities on behalf of the Defence Community, is operated on the UK Military register. The Military Type Airworthiness Authority has not imposed any restrictions on the normal operation of military registered Hunter Mk58 aircraft, which are exempt from the CAA temporary grounding order affecting civil registered Hunter aircraft."

• 1 month later...

A Spitfire at 4pm today. I was just walking around to my sons school when I heard that unmistakable music as she banked to the left & overflew me before heading of to the north east.

We have a twin spit fly past on sat down here but sadly I'm going to miss out.

I too have been asking a similar question about a very heavy 4 engined jet. 3 times in as many months between 3 and 4 in the morning this thunder comes from the almost due North of the house. heading south. I know the Vulcan is supposedly grounded but this plane sounds just like it. Being crippled with arthritic hips I am slow to get to the window but I heard it a bit earlier on the last trip and got to the patio in time to see a pure black sky with nothing against it except 3 not very bright lights forming a slow moving triangle The engines sounded just like 4 Olympus blow lamps stuck on the back of a Vulcan Do any of of you think it possible ?

Yesterday afternoon had a Bell-Boeing Osprey doing very low circuits over our area. After dark, it reappeared with its rotor tips (in heli mode) illuminated by green lights so they formed large circles!. Very impressive as it went over our chimney pots at only a couple of hundred feet. Eventually landed at the nearby Colchester Garrison.

Earlier in the day had a little Folland Gnat go hurtling over just to the south and again fairly low.

Quite a busy afternoon, not quite over my house, but over (or almost over) the club strip on the Downs not far away.

First to fly past was a de Havilland Rapide, too far away to read the reg, but possibly G-AGSH (from the colour).

Five or ten minutes later a trio flying together, maybe doing an aerial photo-shoot? This consisted of a Chipmunk plus a high-wing monoplane and a biplane, neither of which I could identify... After passing us the trio all headed off in different directions. I wondered if one (at least) might have been headed for Redhill, but the arrivals board there shows only helicopters arriving this afternoon. Probably because the grass runways are all closed due to surface conditions, and f/wing is only operating off an unlicenced "runway" (taxiway normally)

A few minutes later a Spitfire flew past in the distance.

All of these were heading west. Probably an hour or so later the Spitfire flew past again heading east - I'm assuming it was the same one!

So, was there a 'get-together' somewhere today for classic/vintage aircraft? Seems like the wrong time of year, though the Spitfire has every excuse to be flying today to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the first flight of the prototype on 5th March 1936.

Posted by onetenor on 04/03/2016 02:48:28:

I too have been asking a similar question about a very heavy 4 engined jet. 3 times in as many months between 3 and 4 in the morning this thunder comes from the almost due North of the house. heading south. I know the Vulcan is supposedly grounded but this plane sounds just like it. Being crippled with arthritic hips I am slow to get to the window but I heard it a bit earlier on the last trip and got to the patio in time to see a pure black sky with nothing against it except 3 not very bright lights forming a slow moving triangle The engines sounded just like 4 Olympus blow lamps stuck on the back of a Vulcan Do any of of you think it possible ?

I'd say the chances of it being a Vulcan are significantly less than the chances of me winning the lottery jackpot tonight. XH558 is now grounded, and not legally able to fly. It will continued to be maintained to enable it to taxi, and last week one of the engines was being replaced - no idea if the work on that is now finished. As well as any flight now being highly illegal, even when it did fly during the past few years, they never flew at night as far as I'm aware - their permit to fly was most likely valid only for VFR conditions (daylight, good weather)

• 1 month later...

Was at the field today, a few miles south of East Midlands Airport when a big 4 engined airliner appeared, unusually low, slow and quiet and was being flown manually, as it was flying in a way that an autopilot wouldn't. Very swept and unusually narrow wings, 4 conventional engines, cowls were half blue and half white.

Unusually large for EMA, time was about 1.30pm and it re-appeared about an hour later on the same track, as though it was doing big circuits. It wasn't a Boeing or Airbus.

Have checked FR 24 for all arrivals and departures at EMA and BHX today and nothing at all of that size other that a couple of A380's at BHX.

It was heading SSW between Twycross and Hinckley when I saw it and was slowly climbing from about 8000ft, which is about half the normal height at the point I was at.

Anyone near EMA that also saw it?

Cheers

CB

Bank Holiday Sunday, rare treat from Worcester based G-EWIZ running through what I assume is some of his display routine, at display level, right over our house. I'm guessing the nearby motorway was his 'crowd line'. 15 minutes of show standard aeros complete with smoke. Lovely job.