The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Frank,

If that is your first ever go at flying an autogyro you need to give yourself a pat on the backthumbs up, despite the orientation 'bump' you kept it pretty close to yourself. It is videos like yours that make it all worthwhile for me, thanks for postingsmile

Joe,

I would be interested in a little more info if you get chance?

Rich

Posted by Richard Harris on 25/03/2015 18:04:51:

Frank,

If that is your first ever go at flying an autogyro you need to give yourself a pat on the backthumbs up, despite the orientation 'bump' you kept it pretty close to yourself. It is videos like yours that make it all worthwhile for me, thanks for postingsmile

Rich

No not my first time, I have flown the HK Auto G (and G2) last year and a DB twin rotor Autogyro a long time ago (but that doesn't really count), this was the 4th flight, 1st two went OK but it kept zooming up under power so I'd added some downthrust on the motor and adjusted the control rods as I had full down trim in, so these were the 2nd trimming flights. I also dabble with helicopters (Blade 300x) which you have to keep pretty close too.

It's nearly repaired and ready to go again, and I do think it flies better than the HK Auto G, maybe I need a larger one wink

Joe,

Sorry, I thought it was your conversion embarrassed

Frank,

It would be rude not to construct a larger version!

John,

Fingers crossed thumbs up just take it nice and easy and dont forget your camera wink 2

I have updated the Atom page on my blog and upload a couple more photos of finished Atoms, 36 to be precise, great stuff boys!! keep them coming thumbs up

Rich

Well done Frank it is such a nice flying and forgiving gyro, that being said there is one tree on the other side of our field and I swear it seems to change color every time I fly a gyro by it. I think I have lost two gyros so far one being my Burky Every time one of my AG fly's bye that tree it just disappears for a second or too and that's all it takes maybe it's just me but it's a curse, oh well it's also a good excuse for my aging eyes

PS like that G2 autorotation conversion to the HK head what a good idea

Kevin

I was able to successfully fly my atom autogyro this weekend. Here is a couple of pictures and landing video from the maiden flight. Thanks to Rich for this great design!

Last week I wasn't able to take off properly so I made the following modifications which made the maiden takeoff almost effortless this time.

1. changed 0.4mm shims with 0.8mm shims (I'm using AJ Blades cut to 450mm length)
2. moved the CG a little further towards the nose
3. changed the elevator angle approx. 5 degrees towards nose

I think the motor recommended in the plan is not sufficient somehow. I had to fly full throttle all the time to keep the altitude. So I will try a 1300kv motor next week.

Edited By Ozgur Sar on 29/03/2015 14:19:25

Edited By Ozgur Sar on 29/03/2015 14:20:42

Posted by Ozgur Sar on 29/03/2015 14:18:13:

I think the motor recommended in the plan is not sufficient somehow. I had to fly full throttle all the time to keep the altitude. So I will try a 1300kv motor next week.

Edited By Ozgur Sar on 29/03/2015 14:20:42

Nice video I'm flying mine with a 1050 kv motor, 1300mah 3s battery and 10 x 5 prop and only needs half throttle for level flight. I did notice on your video that yours was really moving fast around the sky, maybe you've overdone it on the elevator and forward c of g.

Mines all repaired now but I think I'll wait for the gale force winds to abate before the next test flights.

Life is pretty full on family-wise at the moment but I am trying to get to one of the trimming Sundays but not too sure I will manage it. Have not even managed to get a second flight in with my Atom as yet it is that bad! I live on the Suffolk/Norfolk borders so perhaps I could join up with someone and share the journey if anyone is in the area, I don't mind driving. PM me if interested but I cannot guarantee things as yet.

The bug has taken hold and I have the foam for a Whippit, (also an old Super 60 fuselage which could end up a la 'Ricardo's'. Hoping to meet all the other Gyronuts/trainees sometime soon.

Cheers

Bob

Rich, I'd be honored to see my photo on your web site. Please do

Frank, level flight can be sustained by almost half throttle but if turns or flying towards the same direction as wind requires full throttle. My atom is pretty light (I even still didn't build the canopy). C of G is just right I guess because I can take off and fly with so little stick movements.

I will post here my results with a different motor that I will test this weekend.