Worlds smallest aeroplane, the Stits Skybaby

reg shaw

At the fantastic Nationals just gone, I picked up a new project from a mate. Its not a particularly old model, but the airframe shows some tell tale signs of how well it flew, or not as the case may be. The plan is to get it flying with as little work as possible, to iron out the issues, then to strip it completely and give it the finish it would deserve if it flies well, or at least as well as can be expected anyway!!

Some specs, the model is half scale, yet spans less than 4 feet. Weight feels like it would be about 22lb in flyable trim. I've nailed a Quadra 42 petrol on it for now, should be enough by my guestimates. Airframe wise, the mods would eventually include small leading edge slots as per full size, making the top wings flaps work, they're just dummies now, full cockpit and opening door on the left side. The wing fixings need to be altered to make them a) better and b) invisible or more like the full size.

Being a lover of the unusual I'm chuffed to bits to get my hands on this wee beastie!

Ian.

dscf3219.jpg

dscf3217.jpg

dscf3215.jpg

957.jpg

Advert

Fantastic model, finish looks great already to me in the photos!!

The full size is still shown at Oshkosh, if I understand correctly the designer's son actually built a SMALLER monoplane with a span ~5ft - both aircraft are reported to have flown well!

Will follow your progress with this, like you I love an unusual subject and I've not seen this modelled before, many congrats on your newly acquired model!!!

Posted by Richard Harris on 27/08/2014 11:16:10:

Ian,

It looks like it fell from the top of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down......I love it!!wink 2 have to admit that mono plane does look tempting to!

Rich

You know you want to Richard, it'd be ace to blat the pair round!!!! Ref. the monoplane, that looks like it climbed back up the tree and fell back out again!

Ian.

Had a bit of time tonight to have a good look at the airframe and draw up a list of findings. Starting at the front.

The cowl will need remaking as it is a glassed foam job at the minute, and petrol has got into a good bit of it a bit floppy.

Same for the area under the cowl, in front of the bottom wing leading edge.

Glazing needs replacement as its all split, good for templates though if I can get it off in useable bits.

The undercarriage plate on the lower wing has been out more than once, not surprisingly as its glued to the balsa shear webs on the main spar and not the spar itself.

The cabin door needs to be operable, to get in to the new wing fixings and because the real one has a door!

Slots on all wings, plus sheeting top and bottom leading edges back to the main spar. Cap strips to the rear of.

Worst bit on the wings is the rear spars. Because the wings are tapered, so is the mainspar on its top and bottom surfaces, but the rear spar is only on the bottom surface and is one piece from tip to tip. Because of this the wings have a snadgers of wash in on each panel, not ideal on such low aspect wings, or any wings for that matter.

Flaps fitting to the top wings, I imagine they'd help tremendously.

Both wing fixings need looking at, the top need redoing completely, the bottom just tidying.

Tailwheel fixing plate needs work, at the minute its just glued to the middle stringer on the underside and it rolls the stringer over and breaks it free.

Elevator joiner has broken, not surprised as it is just soft balsa.

Overall though, its looking very promising, it was quite nicely built originally but has been a bit bodged since. Undoing the bodges will turn it into a fine machine. Darned odd, but fine!

Ian.

Posted by Jez Harris 1 on 28/08/2014 12:47:09:

Hmmmm...

Flying Fleas and now a Stits Skybaby...

You also have a corrugated Junkers..

I'm beginning to think you just don't want to fork out for lots of covering!

Jez

You may have something there Jez, a certain DH2 didn't need the fuselage covering on either!! In reality though, being so completely normal and boring, I like to spice up the modelling by doing the oddball stuff. I have a fair list behind me, Facetmobile, Quickie Q2, windbag, Fauvel AV 36 and 22 sailplanes, Ju52, HP42, DH2, several Fleas, Wallis, Hobbit and Cierva gyro's. Back to the Stits, the control surfaces have been removed for repair, as has the wing covering where the slots will be to formulate a plan for easy replication to make all 4 perfectly the same, the rear end covering has been removed to sort the tailwheel mountings so basically its just about naked, just the way I like!! I did intend to leave the covering and just patch it up once the mods had been done, but the small mods were all over the even smaller airframe so even just doing the mods to make it fly and fly better mean't it would be harder to patch it up than recover the whole thing. There's only about £4 worth of covering anyway!!!

Ian.

• 3 months later...

Hi Ian

My son built and flew a 1/4 scale one from the Ken Willard plan a few years ago. It actually flew quite well but strangly flew better when slowed down. It did not like the thinner air of Johannesburg in South Africa but was good at sea level. His was electric and did not use the ailerons. The rudder was also reduced in size as originally suggested by the designer in the RCM article as the original was too powerful even with very little movement. My son and I like strange projects.

Chris Freeman

Posted by Chris Freeman 3 on 30/12/2014 11:22:06:

Hi Ian

My son and I like strange projects.

Clearly you do, its not often that in any group of photo's containing a Mosquito, the Mosquito is the most normal of the subjects pictured !!

Love the Archaeopteryx, the Pancake and the Mossie too for that matter!!

Ian.