Wot 4 xl so it's a OS 91 surpass or DLE 20 petrol......Thoughts and advice needed

Nigel Finch

Hi all,

a very experienced pilot I totally trust the opinion off said my under construction Wot 4 XL that has a OS 91 four stroke about to be fitted would be better off with a DLE20 petrol engine.

happy to do this but a quick read shows

DLE20 easy to start, cheap to run, self tuning so less need to have hands near prop, reliable

against

heavy, lots more plumbing, radio interference ( have twin Spectrum DSMX receiver ) ,

do not want the plane to scream round the sky but reliable, fun to fly as I progress with plane but not prop hanging performance

any thoughts as no experience of four stroke or petrol engines.

Advert

Hi Nigel, Im not sure about the self tuning ? Petrol's need running in & to be tuned as well and a well tuned Four Stroke wont need to be touched.

I think the 91 will be a bit limp for the XL, I have 3 and they are good but not enough for an airframe as big as the XL. A 120 would be more the tool.

There's a good thread here **LINK** Paul is a very experienced flyer and his went very well on a 25cc Petrol.

Edited By Justin K on 13/09/2014 14:57:11

I ran an ASP120 4st in mine and was a bit disappointed with it. A 91 might fly it, but would you really want to? Never mind the DLE20, why not a 30? I only run one petrol but interference is not a problem, nor is there any extra plumbing.

I did think about buying another one at the LMA Much Marcle show but for a 180 4st.

Well just Unboxed the Wot to start building. On a lot, and I mean lot of sites it clearly states .90 to 120 two or four stroke. Know two more powerful but hey jo who am I to question.

On the box it's 120 four stroke or 90 to 120 two stroke so a large number of stores have the wrong info.

well now have to purchase a new engine so it's four stroke or petrol. My OS 91 is not suitable Grrrrr

I've been unlucky with my petrol engine. First one I've had. An NGH GT25.I've had the exhaust stub fallen off twice, due to vibration ( fixed with a longer 4mm threaded stud ). two broken plugs due to mounting the engine inverted, ( I've now mounted it as a sidewinder ), and also took the undercarriage off due to either bad fuel or loose clunk.

So the XL is in the hangar, undercarriage repaired , and just needing the throttle cable repositioning, with a 120fs waiting in the wings, just in-case I get tired of messing about with the GT25.

They are noisy though. Have only flown it briefly 4 times due my problems. It did fly OK when it was in the air.

Wished I fitted the 120fs first time. May have been less hassle. There's a petrol newbie for you.laugh

Just seen HobbyKing do a extra muffler kit with a few good reviews. Anyone used this on the DLE20 as it could bea solution. Our field may have noise restriction soon.

looked at OS gt22 and that seems a quite option but £ 100 more but ignition system shielded. This is a one off purchase to last years but any feelings on the difference guys.

Thoughts ?

• 4 years later...

I've just removed a DLA 32cc from a Seagull Maxilift and put in a Laser 150, the DLA 32 started and ran well, but was very noisy and destroyed two silencers (well more like exhaust gas deflectors) the standard one and a pitts style one.

If you go the petrol route don't forget to budget for a decent silencer especially if your site is noise sensitive.

Petrol is more economical that glow fuel, but don't forget to budget for the new fuel pump and make sure that you have a good fuel can otherwise your car will stink on regular pump petrol.