'Black' Friday modelling bargains

stuey

Advert

It does seem strange the way "Black Friday" has emerged here in the last few years. I'm not sure what the reasoning (if there is any) for "Black Friday" is. I do know that it's always the day after Thanksgiving Day. But I would struggle to tell you when Thanksgiving Day is (though I guess it must have been yesterday if today is Black Friday!)

This morning so far (not necessarily model-related) I have emails promoting Black Friday offers from Amazon, eBay, Screwfix, 999inks, 7dayshop, Cartridge People, IJT Direct, RS Components, Maplin, Homebase, Zavvi, and eFrame. More yesterday from Richer Sounds, Pizza Hut, and CoPilot (satnav s/ware).

The band-wagon is certainly rolling!

thanksgiving is a major traditional american holiday following taking in the harvest

the day after has developed into the biggest sale day in the usa and the term black friday , I believe started there - not sure why but wiki indicates that it could refer to the traffic/pedestrian jams during the sales, but it could also refer to the day the retailers went into the black and started to show a profit - take your pick but i would assume both reasons apply over here

Edited By John Laird on 28/11/2014 10:52:25

Find it astonishing that the big companies and retailers simply snap their fingers and people come running to dance to their tune. I wonder how many 'bargains' are actually on sale? The companies aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot and cut their margins to any great extent, certainly not on anything worthwhile - maybe old stock and junk they can't otherwise shift and a few loss leaders to stoke up the frenzy.

We all like a bargain, but I reckon these b/f sales just encourage shoppers to buy stuff because it's perceived as being cheap and if you miss out, then your life will henceforth be incomplete.

Careful shopping around on the internet will probably get you a similar deal without all the all the in-store hysteria..............maybe the agro is part of the attraction for certain people, but I wouldn't go within a mile of an outlet where people were behaving like a pack of wolves squabbling over a carcass. Another US phenomenon we could do without.

If ever I see a shop offering huge discounts on anything the first thing that pops in to my mind is that must have been over-charging us before.

If they can make a profit on the discounted price they must have been making a huge profit on the full price.

Puts me off using them.

And why on earth do we have to do this just because america does ?

You seen the appalling behaviour of people fighting to get %20 off a telly? Ridiculous. Can't see the reason why someone would go mental to buy a coffee machine. I would expect this panic buying in an event of a nuclear war - getting the last bottles of water or food on the shelves, but c'mon, is it really that bad, that someone would do that?

Mad. disgust