Longer days

john stones 1 - Moderator

Advert

What I would like to know is why Daylight Savings time is so displaced..

We put the clocks back on the last Sunday in October - this was only 61 days to the shortest day but we have to wait 98 days following the shortest day into Spring before the clocks go forward (March 29 2015) to sensible time and we get evening flying back..

Sunset on the last day of BST 2014 was 17:47 (London) and the first day of BST 2015 sunset will be 19:28.

We are being robbed.. Blame the European Parliament.

Bah Humbug

Martyn

Just when is the stupidity of fiddling around with the clocks going to come to an end? IMHO choose BST and stick to that. There's only so much daylight available at any particular time of year, so I'm baffled at the arguments of those in favour, especially as we have access to the wonder of electric lights in our homes and work places, in our streets (up to midnight at least) and on cars etc etc.

I have horses along with pigs, a multitude of free range chickens and turkeys etc. try explaining to all of them why their feed is now arriving at a new time! The change of clocks is a nightmare for them all and us that have to look after them, nature does not have a digital clock it had as it says a natural one. Let's be more in tune with the real world and stop this clock changing nonsense.....rant over....phew!

Posted by john melia 1 on 23/12/2014 11:45:29:

Is your glass half full or half empty ?

No, It's twice as big as it needs to be.,.........................

And......if you all feel better for believing an incorrect statement on daylight length, please don't tune in during the next election, it'll be bad for your heart.unlove

Tee Hee...............................wink

Edited By Dave Bran on 24/12/2014 05:11:04

Posted by Martyn K on 23/12/2014 11:37:34:

What I would like to know is why Daylight Savings time is so displaced..

We put the clocks back on the last Sunday in October - this was only 61 days to the shortest day but we have to wait 98 days following the shortest day into Spring before the clocks go forward (March 29 2015) to sensible time and we get evening flying back..

Sunset on the last day of BST 2014 was 17:47 (London) and the first day of BST 2015 sunset will be 19:28.

We are being robbed.. Blame the European Parliament.

Bah Humbug

Martyn

I'm totally with you on this one, Martyn. As someone who flies mainly in the week after work, this asymmetry basically takes out most of March for me! My understanding is that it's largely to do with frosty mornings and road safety - March is usually much colder than October, and so waiting until the end of March to bring the clocks forward means an extra hour in the morning for frost to melt.

I suppose I can understand this logic, but still...

I found the link interesting and the links that followed until i found the link to alcohol consumption per lt .......... I was very surprised that the UK was towards the bottom of all the European countries. It also surprised me given the cost the Danes drink more than us and Sweden slightly less. Hmmm so it is not daylight hours or obviously cost related.

The link does make you think, for example, countries like Germany, which spread across more lines of longitude and latitude, it would seem the sunrise and sunset will be more of an issue. Or do do they just shrug their shoulders?

Like many I was vaguely aware of the phenomena, but concluded, what was more important is the weather. That is it a clouded day with rain, or a cold bright sunny day.