DSM2 is dead (on new Spektrum radios)

Simon Chambers

Advert

Thank you Pete. Does that mean that some of the 'standard' Dx9's are going to be 'DSM2 free' like the black one if they are new stock, or would all the standard ones have both? If so I will need to ring around to find out the stock dates from companys. If they are different is there a way of telling which is which I wonder?

Thanks, Simon

I found one from Hurricane models yesterday that was from his Christmas shipment - so that should be ok hopefully (and they had the best price!) the chap there was very very helpful. I got some info from rcgroups also that apparently when they change them the boxes will be stickered to indicate this. Its all been kept very quiet though. It suprised me that when ringing around model suppliers yesterday that very few even knew of the change in regulations, and it came as new to them about it. You would think that the possibilty of fines and legalitys would be of interest to them. Not as much as when I asked how old the stock was I suspect. I am still waiting to see if horizon reply to my query though.

Thanks, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 11/04/2015 11:58:39

• 1 year later...

Hi, some advice would be great here please.

Firstly I based in the UK

I have just bought a Spektrum TX DX6 off of ebay. Advertised as DSM and DSM2 (version G2)

I have just tried it and it binds fine with Spektrum receivers on DSM

But Bind failed is all I get with any of my Spektrum / Orange / Lemon receivers that are DSM2.

Have I missed something or have I been misled on the eBay listing?

I am slightly annoyed as I have around 5 DSM2 receivers and sold my old Spektrum DX6i transmitter that was fine with DSM2.

Hope someone out there can help.

Thank you.

Posted by Keith Newman on 30/03/2017 20:46:00:

Hi, some advice would be great here please.

Firstly I based in the UK

I have just bought a Spektrum TX DX6 off of ebay. Advertised as DSM and DSM2 (version G2)

I have just tried it and it binds fine with Spektrum receivers on DSM

But Bind failed is all I get with any of my Spektrum / Orange / Lemon receivers that are DSM2.

Have I missed something or have I been misled on the eBay listing?

I am slightly annoyed as I have around 5 DSM2 receivers and sold my old Spektrum DX6i transmitter that was fine with DSM2.

Hope someone out there can help.

Thank you.

Keith, if it's an original version DX6 it won't work with DSM2.
To identify - the words "DX6 Parkflyer System" appear directly below the right hand stick.

I believe DSM was the protocol that pre-dated DSM2 and was for parkfliers only. As far as I know, the original DX6 was DSM only. The first DSM2 tranny was the DX7, followed by the DX6i. As said above, all the recent builds of the "new" DX6 will be DSMX only.

Keith, as you have bound your tranny to DSM receivers (there can't be many of those about!) it must be one of the original DX6 models, which I believe were discontinued some years ago.

It would seem worth trying to get a refund if it's not as described.

This is a photo of the 2007 advert for the original DX6 Park Fly. so you might be able to identify your Tx. Not sure if it's full range like other DX6.

dx6parkfly.jpg

Posted by Martin Harris on 31/03/2017 17:29:55:

IIRC the original DX6 was limited to 10mW - the equivalent of range check mode in most radios! Quite why Spektrum decided to launch a completely different model with the same name has never quite made sense to me!

Edited By Martin Harris on 31/03/2017 17:32:30

How I agree, I wanted a transmitter for use as a buddy off my DX9. But when trying to buy a second hand one the complexity of sorting out a myriad of similarly named but different transmitters needed degree level knowledge. Bought a new one off Inwoods on the life is short principal

The original DX6 was never widely used - it was for park fliers and we were all still on 35Mhz at the time, so I guess Spektrum thought there would be minimum confusion by re-using the designation. Obviously some has still arisen, but transmitters from most manufacturers warrant close inspection to decode the nomenclature.

If only they had named it DX6, then DX61 then DX62 then DX63 we would know what model we are talikng about. But they didnt. The latest one would now be about DX67 by my reckoning!

There were at least ...

DX6 ( as my photo )

DX6i   DSM2

Dx6i with DSMX as well as DSM2

DX6i with only DSMX  ( EU spec after Jan 2015 )

DX6 black 250 memory

DX6 black with 250 memory and 2 aerials

DX6E

Edited By kc on 31/03/2017 19:08:36

Posted by Martin Harris on 31/03/2017 17:29:55:

IIRC the original DX6 was limited to 10mW - the equivalent of range check mode in most radios! Quite why Spektrum decided to launch a completely different model with the same name has never quite made sense to me!

Edited By Martin Harris on 31/03/2017 17:32:30

Dunno what the rf power output was in numbers, however the instruction manual clearly stated that the DX6 system is designed for parkflyer type aircraft only, that it had more than adequate range for these but that it was imperative that the system was not used in larger aircraft that could exceed the range.
Back in the day there was a thread in RCG of users experience of testing the DX6 with the matched AR6000 Rx. Several people who posted were surprised how good the range actually was in practice.

When DSM had just been discontinued Al's Hobbies sold off the last batch of DX6 combos at a knock down price. I got a set with the intention of using it for indoor flying & hopefully being able to pick up extra Rxs at reduced price as they became obsolete.
With the reports from the RCG thread in mind I decided to try some range checking of my own using a well proven 55" span vintage model that i'd converted to electric power. The model had originaly been designed for free flight & was properly trimmed so if it went out of range the resulting gliding flight wouldn't be an issue. Over a number of flights the model was taken to a comfortable visual range limit but RC contact was never lost. The Rx was later transfered to a slope soarer & flown at my home slope out over the N.Sea, again no issues.
The hoped for cheap Rxs didn't materialise & I never did use the outfit for indoor flying. However by then I was using Frsky modules in a couple of Txs & had a V8FT (non-telemetry) module spare. I converted the DX6 to Frsky for use with my indoor models, although again it's been used to fly a variety of "normal" models from a Veron Deacon to a Phase 6 sloper.

PS re the confusing Tx type name, I think Futaba did exactly the same with the FF7. 

Edited By PatMc on 31/03/2017 21:00:21

Keith, you stated in an earlier post that you had successfully bound this DX6 to DSM receivers. If it is the latest G2 model I am pretty sure this would be impossible - did you mean that you have successfully bound it to DSMX receivers?

That would make sense, as the DX6 G2 for the EU market is DSMX only. The seller may have been misled by the handbook, which probably has some sort of global statement. I'm afraid that you may have to claim it was mis-sold, or keep it and put up with it only working with the DSMX receivers.